1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Open Book Scale Model Handbook 18 from Mr Black Publications

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Nap, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi everybody

Hope all have had a good festive season and ready for the 2017 modelling year , no doubt you got lots of goodies !!!

Amongst one I got was the latest from Mr Black Publications in the Scale Model Handbook series , number 18 , how time fly's since it 5 years since the first was published , as well as these we have of course the 2 Diorama specials and the WW2 special as well .

I have had the pleasure to be able to share my thoughts on Mr Black publications here is the last one http://www.planetfigure.com/threads/scale-model-handbook-17-from-mr-black-publications.80320/

This release was announced by the editor Stelios here on PF and on Social Media http://www.planetfigure.com/threads/figure-modelling-18-is-out.81615/

Well what are we being given in this issue a series of subjects from Ancient Rome to WW2 using figures and busts .

I am a bust modeller as you know but was happy to see that as we are are in the middle of the WW1 anniversaries there are several articles from that period.

Its also good to see PF members having articles in the edition as well , namely Mike "The Kiwi" Butler and Sergey Popovichenkoso without even opening the pages we know we are in for a treat.

Here is the front cover a0.jpg

As with all the previous publications we find the following : QUALITY..... QUALITY

Matt Card Covers in A4 size

Articles covering a wide period as stated above in a total of 48 pages out of 52 ( remaining being with the supporting companies/products namely

Figure Painter Magazine [IMG]
    Abetilung 502 [IMG],
    Michel Kontraros Collectables [IMG]

and last but not least :

IRBIS MINIATURES

Thank you to them all for supporting this venture

As with the previous release we have a range of great subjects with articles written by top artists and its good to welcome 2 new contributors in the shape of the following:

Qianwei Shi

and

Roberto Ramirez Gutierrez

There are a total of 8 articles in this edition all well written and well illustrated in colour with plenty of mixes to try out and absolutely bags of hints and information

CONTENTS

Roman Gladiator “Thraex” - 90mm

Corporal Vicente Manzano, Dragoon Regiment “Pavia” Ontígola 1809 - 75mm

Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill 1874 - 1965 - 200mm

WWI Early War German Ace Oswald Boelcke - 54mm

First World War German Airmen - 54mm

Waffen SS AFV Crew 1944-45 No.1 - 50mm

Edward Corringham “Mick” Mannock, VC, DSO & Two Bars, MC & Bar (24th May 1887 - 26th July 1918) 180mm

British Trench Raider - 75mm

CONTRIBUTORS

MIKE “THE KIWI” BUTLER, ROBERTO RAMIREZ GUTIERREZ, STELIOS NEOFYTIDIS, SERGEY POPOVICHENKO, TOSHIHIRO SANO, QIANWEI SHI.

Lets look at the articles

[IMG]

Covering a total of 8 pages 3 of which are of the completed model ..needless to say its impressive!!! the article was written by Sergey and translated by Dimitry Gaudin ( so thanks to him) .
    In the write up we have loads of SBS pictures of the painting , I was particularly pleased to see an extensive group on the flesh work and also the way Sergey approached the shield insignia.

Out came my notebook ...and in went the info of painting the cloth and crest very useful for future projects.

A nice start to the book so onto the next
    [IMG]

Now I have to admit I find painting Yellow daunting so this was exactly what I needed ,a nice article here from Roberto and using a subject sculpted by Antonio Guardini . A mounted piece as you can see . what many will find very interesting is the painting of the horse .......very effective and well written . with full details of the colours( oils) used , we then move onto the figure ..the book was out and being filled rapidly , yellows to die for ..lol

The article covers a total of 10 pages , 3 having larger pictures of the completed figure , again colour reproduction is excellent .

a great 1st article from Roberto I hope we see more

Next we have a bust !!!
    [IMG]

Another new artists covering just 2 pages one which has 360 degree views of the completed bust , despite being only 1 page of text its packed full of information , I like the fleshtones in particular so that went in the book!!! , what will be helpful when others paint this bust is the way the artist approached the pin stripe on the clothing , nicely explained as well .

Another nice bit of work by the new boy on the block ...more please !!!

[IMG]

Now I am happy to say I have admired this next artist for many a day .its one of PF and what a painter this guy is , he has developed a natural way of depicting personalities , this time we see Mike sharing his skill on 2 ww1 pilots in 54mm .
    What held me when reading was the way the leather was painted and of course the flesh work , paying particularly attention to the eyes ...in the book it all went !!!

Also nice to see was the way Mike has shown how to make a wet pallette ....most painters who use acrylics have this on the bench .

Photography is also covered in the article a quick insight into this often difficult task for me at least!!

Covering 7 and a half pages , full of great photos , its hard to believe the actual scale so well done Mike .

For the next article we stay with WW1 and flyers
    [IMG]

Written over 4 pages , one being all views of the figures using Model Cellar products ( based on a photograph) and both Acrylics and Oils from Abt 502 .
    Out came my book and in went the mixes that are everywhere about the well written text , nice to see a small bit on the actual basework being included

Again a really nicely presented addition to this volume

[IMG]

For the next article we move to WW2 and painting black uniforms and who better to show us than Toshihiro Sano , using enamels and Oils , he introduces us to his painting style and again very well illustrated throughout , beautiful work on the flesh of this 50mm Alpine figure.

Again the base work has not been left out with the writer showing how he achieved the end result.

The article is over 6 pages with the first having 4 views of the completed figure . and SBS pictures in between the text .

Next we have a bust ..

[IMG]

This is a bust I have liked but never got ..think I might !!! released by Hawk Miniatures depicting Mick Mannock , a VC winner and an amazing flyer .
    The article is again written by Toshihiro , using enamels he has brought the bust to life , incredible fleshtones and a wonderful paint job on the clothing .
    We have a history of the subject with full painting details throughout , aided by SBS pictures , all in excellent reproduction , the article covers 4 pages , the first being full of views of the model

Our final article see's us remain in WW1 but on the hell that was trench raids .

[IMG]

Over a 2 and a half page spread , one with many views of the completed piece the author Stelios Neofytidis has done a great job both in the painting ( Model Cellar 75mm) and also in the text which consists of mainly the mixes but covering all the parts of the model , including some really useful uniform mixes which achieved a slightly different hue on Jacket and trousers .

A good tip from Stelios is to line in the seams using a 50/50 mix , this really "pops" the figure out .

Final thoughts

So there you have it number 18 and the QUALITY has continued to be as high as ever if not more so . Its good to see the editors letting artists use the publication to promote their work and all are to be congratulated on this fine addition to the series .

As always with Mr Black Publications customer service is excellent , quality products and with offers at various times why not treat yourself .

For more details on this and to order ( there are other suppliers with details on website ...SK and El Greco , Historex to mention a couple in the UK .
    www.mrblackpublications.com
    Email: mrblackpublications@yahoo.com
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/MrBlackPubications

Happy reading and modelling

Nap
  2. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Great work Kevin.
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  3. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Glad you liked you found this article of value Kevin, always appreciate getting feedback on what helps.

Stay safe,
    Mike
  4. Nap Moderator

England

Certainly did Mike well written and illustrated ...hope we see a bust from you in the SMH series

Thanks for contributing

Nap
    Mike - The Kiwi likes this.
  5. Stelios Demiras A Fixture

Greece
    Hello Kevin and all friends in planet Figure! Happy New Year with a lot of models finished!! Dear Kevin your review as always is very detailed and informative! Thank you! I promise to do my best to produce even better books so to keep my readers happy! Next book will be the English version of Man Jin Kim's book "Painting German Uniforms of WWII" in WWII Special Series! I hope to have it ready in a few months....

Regards
    Stelios Demiras