1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Open Book Scale Model Handbook 12 from Mr Black Publications

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Nap, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Hello to everybody,

The range of books from Mr Black publications has recently been added to by the release of volume no 12 , as always the brains behind this is of course Mr Stelios Demiras (a very much respected PF member) .
    0.jpg 00.jpg

With this release this series is fast becoming almost encyclopedia like and continues in the same format as the previous 11.

As in the previous volumes we are treated to a very high quality product with contributions from the very best in our modelling world covering all types of subjects including preparation , painting,groundwork, scratch building...... all using various models both military and fantasy subjects

Produced on the high quality paper with card covers in a Matt finish , colour representation is superb in all of the 7 articles over the 52 page volume.

Text in all is easy to read and packed with information, paint mixes and hints.

Reading like a who's who we have articles from:

MYEONG-HA HWANG
    SERGEY POPOVICHENKO
    ERNESTO REYES STALHUTH
    CARL STARTIN “CARLOS FIGUREART”
    ALEX VARELA “IGUAZZU”

Three large-scale busts are featured; one a Second World War subject, a 120mm sculpted by Mike Blank and a fantasy depicting John Snow painted by a new name to the series .....the talented Korean artist Myeong-ha Hwang

Lets have a look at the articles in which I will highlight what I liked about them

Luftwaffe Ace Werner Mölders - 120mm, Alpine Miniatures

1.jpg

Written by Ernesto and consisting of 8 pages the figure also features on the front cover it covers what was for me a very timely article as I have a bust with a leather jacket on my bench so this was very welcome , it is full of techniques using both acrylics and oils the article also shows us the Luftwaffe uniform blue ....all of this went to my notebook. What is a real bonus are the colour pictures superbly done and complimenting the article totally ., they are on every page , nice touch with the various angled views of the face as well .

Next up we have :

German Soldier MG42 Tripod Carrier, Leibstandarte, Kharkov, 1943

2.jpg

This article has been done by Carl and its a bust (ye hah!!)......is there no end to his talents as he is also the new owner of a lovely little baby girl recently...CONGRATULATIONS mate

Again covering 8 pages working on a subject that is close to Carl's ideal subject (the Eastern Front) it is a SBS of his talents at creating the effects , what I really like is the way he achieve the clothing you could almost hang the coat up!!! Carl has the knack of using great techniques on hos models this is really shown when he does the helmet ...great result , the use of stencil to create the wood grain is certainly a new one on me , as expected it is also full of colour ...all enhancing the well written text.

Next we have another from Ernesto his second of 3 articles in this issue :

Fratres Militiae, 13th Century
    3.jpg

In this article again over 8 pages Ernesto covers the painting of black with amazing results again backed up by great colour pictures but more than this we are treated to how he achieves leather using stippling methods and metal effects , again a easily readable text full of mixes (luckily I do bust so no groundwork) but Ernesto tells us how he did the snow using dentists type acrylic resin...fascinating stuff.
    I personally find it very useful studying full figures as us bust modellers can get so much from them....so thanks Ernesto for this one

Next we have :

Captain John Bradstock, South Wales Borderers,Tsingtao 1914

4.jpg

Written by Alex this is of course the bust (ye hah!!) from Tommys War , a favourite of mine and Alex has done a lovely job on the painting , the article has 5 action packed and very colourful pages concentrating on his flesh tones and painting the colour khaki ..all mixes have gone to my book!!! , the delicate tone he has achieved on the uniform is to die for IMO, the colour reproduction of this is wonderful so credit to Stelios as well , this is a classic bust and a well written article and a standard that I can only drool at ...but a great article.

Now we have:

Roman Officer of the Marines, 1st - 2nd Century A.D

5.jpg 000.jpg

As I said Ernesto has 3 articles in the book this being the 3rd with a total 5 pages looking at painting various fabrics and materials and of course flesh ( how do you guys paint so small...respect!!) . Painting of the helmet feathers are explained, the white armour and for me the 2 parts of the model which are outstanding the shield and the groundwork simply fab stuff the shield design is awesome and areal treat to look at and admire.

Now we a newbie to the series but not to me as I have had the please of seeing his work in the Nuts Planet review and boy is he talented it is of course Myeong-Ha Hwang ...and its a bust (another Ye Hah from me !!!)

Night’s Watch
    6.jpg

The article over a spread of 6 pages the author explains his principles of painting , where the light falls and another very interesting method where he paints first in Acrylics and finishes in Enamels ...and with what results .
    The subject is a simple one in terms of colours so the first was very important to him when doing the bust article ...the result is a beautiful paint full of great and a little sinister tones of colour and light.
    In effect there are 2 articles in one here , the Acrylic painting and the Enamels both very interesting to see being used together on the same piece.
    Again we have lots of pictures all well placed and working well alongside the text ....a nice 1st article hope we see more from this fine painter.

Finally and last but not least we have:

Byzantine Heavy Infantry Warrior

7.jpg

Written over 7 page's by Sergey , another PF member , we have a subject that is dear to my style of painting combining Acrylics with Oils (albeit it water soluable in my case!!
    Mixes are included for flesh and armour and leatherwork for me the most intersting part was the way he painted the armour , it looks wonderful and heavy !, great highs and effects are all over the figure , the cloak is covered ...in the notebook that mix went and again we are full of deligh with the way the shield has been painted and the weathering effects achieved .
    As with all articles colour pictures are evident all over ...adding another dimension to the work , drawing the reader to them at the right moment in relation to the text.

Final Thoughts

As with the previous volumes in the series another fine addition to the bookshelf with QUALITY leaping from every page no matter if its the way the articles are written , the colour pictures, or the overall presentation done by well respected and very talented contributors

This series is a bonus to any modeller and should be on the bookshelves in every model room

Treat yourself to a encyclopedia of inspiration in this volume and the others in the series.

There is also a special offer on at the moment so drop that hint to your partner or just to yourself and take advantage of it

Thanks to Stelios for the Review item and to all his team for the series

For more details on this and others as well as special offers go to the website :

www.mrblackpublications.com

Suppliers are worldwide see the website for details , shipping is fast and efficient with items being well packed

Thanks for looking in

Nap
    Pathos Miniatures and Eludia like this.
  2. kevininpdx Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks for the review. Scale Model Handbook is a great resource. It adds alot to the hobby.