1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Scale issues?

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by kenshin393, Sep 27, 2015.

1. kenshin393 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Next time someone gets all snotty about the scale of a piece, show them this photo.
    FB_IMG_1443376173879.jpg
    Oda, Forté, Mike Stevens and 5 others like this.
  2. Ferris A Fixture

So how tall would these be in 54mm scale....? ;-)

Here's a german that has had more than his share of Wurst....
    I guess he was an Obersturmbannroadblock.

image.jpg

Cheers
    Adrian
    peedee, Oda, Dan Morton and 6 others like this.
  3. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    My my, he is a big'un!!!!

Colin
    peedee likes this.
  4. Mark S Guest

"I know nussing!"
    peedee and swralph like this.
  5. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Dear me, no wonder they lost the war - their planes couldn't take off.
    peedee likes this.
  6. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    In fact I was reminded of this guy as well. Using more than his fair share of uniform.

MartinVanBurenBates.jpeg
    peedee, Oda and Dan Morton like this.
  7. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Of course there are differences. Use it to your own advantage, but adjust equipment to the intended scale. Especiall for more modern weapon.
    The fantasy genre mixes a lot of scales with great success.

Cheers
    Janne Nilsson
    peedee likes this.
  8. billyturnip A Fixture

England
  9. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Great picture, great storie. I wonder what happened to the german after the war.

Cheers
    Janne Nilsson
    peedee likes this.
  10. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    peedee, Oda and Uruk-Hai like this.
  11. billyturnip A Fixture

England
  12. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Thanks, Roger!

81 years isnt bad. Many of the extremly tall doesnt survive 50, and a world war on top of that. Its not easy to keep a low profile being that long.
    Regarding his captor, its always nice to see that people despite what the have had to experience, gets back to a normal life.

Cheers
    Janne Nilsson
    peedee, Oda and billyturnip like this.
  13. blaster A Fixture

United-States
    These are very interesting pics. But ask yourselves- do you do a double take upon seeing these pics? Try convincing a judge that models which look like that are in scale.

Rgds Victor
    peedee likes this.
  14. mick3272 A Fixture

Both these legs are advertised as a 120mm fig. Could you put them side by side in a dio ????
    IMG_0193.JPG IMG_0192.JPG

Mick
    peedee and Oda like this.
  15. billyturnip A Fixture

England

You could but would you? If the equipment and weapon were in scale, which is what counts, would dictate whether you could get away with it.
    peedee and Oda like this.
  16. OldTaff PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Interesting vignette,though. Jakob must have had his uniform specially made. He certainly wasn't a customer of Hugo Boss,designer of SS uniforms.:LOL:
    Maybe the shorter chap is simply that; much shorter than average? Not seen this picture before.

Alan
    peedee likes this.
  17. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Yeah, but this also illustrates the point about proportions. Arnold and Wilt are relatively normally proportioned, in terms of the size of their heads to their torsos, and the length of their limbs. Andre the Giant definitely had different proportions. I'd say he was sculpted by an old-school wargame figure maker.

Prost!
    Brad
    Helm, peedee and Forté like this.
  18. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    There is a difference between figures in scale and figures in proportion to scale. A Tyrion Lannister or Frodo figure in 54mm scale will be 54mm (one can argue whether its to eye level or not) but in proportion to 54mm figure it should be 32 or less?
    Go figure...;)
    Andre the giant displays features of Acromegaly, an illness due to disbalance of growth hormone by the way...he died very young at 46.
    So another example - a figure of him in 54mm will be 54mm, but in scale to 54mm - needs to be closer to 65-70mm, to accomodate for 54mm Arnie.
  19. You are correct Mick, that lancer was quite a big figure but in honesty he is only 125mm from top of head (not hat) to soles of feet, maybe a tad over. Moz does sculpt all his equipment to a standard scale, I think it's 1/15, so even if the figure is slightly bigger the scales are consistent. My recent hussar was scaled the same height wise as my chasseur to make them visually compatible, as mentioned the scale of equipment etc is standard.
    To me scale is fixed when used whereas height when given can be interpreted in different ways. Figures of the same scale ie 1/35, 1-16 etc should be compatible as it's the fixed objects like weapons that will be the same, the human form fluctuates.

image.jpg
  20. mick3272 A Fixture

Gra,
    I wasn't naming names but you've let the cat out of the bag, I agree with your measurements entirely Both these figures fall within the spec of 120mm , Both sculpted by the same person, Yet one ( The Lancer) is more robust, but not out of proportion just robust. Both Figures are excellent in their own right. But the question is could they stand together in a dio. My feeling is not.
    Looking forward to his mate falling in with his LSGC, so I can do them both.
    Great talking the other week
    Thanks
    Mick
    Oda, Blind Pew and theBaron like this.