1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Saturation v Temptation.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by DEL, Nov 22, 2017.

1. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    I'm busy redecorating and used the upheaval to tidy up the GA.
    Like many here I have many more than I will ever paint but being pretty selective in what I buy there's none that I don't want to paint.
    I suppose there will be a point when I get rid of them along with the 'guilt' of not doing them, A month or so back I dumped hundreds of my magazines and have to say it was strangely liberating.
    What prompted this train of thought was the sheer number of new releases launched every month, nearly 100 to date in Nov here alone. Having reached an age and situation where there are fewer competing demands on my money suddenly I find myself seriously considering buying figures from historical periods that don't interest me and I know I'll never paint, an example being MMMs Voltigeur and Stu's recent releases. Am I missing some kind of subliminal ' buy me..buy me ' message?
    If you are new to the hobby the choice is spectacular as well as daunting, it really is 'the best of times, the worst of times'
    Derek
  2. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Easy to get swept away with a lovely new figure (and lord knows there are a few about these days as you say).

Even restricting myself to 54's there are so many that I'd need to live to be 187 to just paint those which are currently available. Add in conversions and OOP figures that I snap up when I see them and the result is . . . . .I'm going to live forever :p (Well that's the current plan anyway)

Seriously though I think if you have the funds and fancy a figure then why not buy it. I like to have a selection on the shelf to look through and decide which one will be next. As to periods, well after a lot of 'western and movie' figures I moved onto Napoleonics again and currently am attracted to several ancients. 'Variety is the very spice of life' N'est pa ?

Paul

(Who's hoping to add a few more to the stocks at the weekend!) :rolleyes:
    OldTaff and DEL like this.
  3. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    I think I can get through my gray army, and I've been spending more time on it. I got laid off at the end of July, so I've got more free time for now :) But I have been thinking more and more lately about my model kit stash. I've got over 200 kits, mostly aircraft, and I don't think I'll ever really build all of them. Even if I did, I don't have room to display all the finished models. And this "life change" means I may wind up moving, and I'd have to shlep the stash with me.

Prost!
    Brad
    DEL likes this.
  4. swralph A Fixture

The only thing I can think of Del is that we are still a bunch of kids in the sweet shop:D.
    Blind Pew, brian and DEL like this.
  5. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    There might of course be some special place where, as a reward for our selfless and generous support of all those figure
    manufacturers we are sent to enjoy our hobby for eternity. We might be given a delectable support staff to hold the brushes,
    take the tops off the paint, and whatever. Pop the GA in the box with us is my advice... we could look a bit silly with nothing
    to paint ....
    OldTaff, megroot and DEL like this.
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Then I could call myself blessed with only 26 figures on the shelff.
    I'm pretty sure that I gonna paint them all before I'm forced to lay my head down.
    But I'm only buy 75 - 90 - 120 and must be Napoleontic or WW1.
    No, I'm lieing. On SMC I bought a fantasy figure, to keep the focus.

Marc
    DEL likes this.
  7. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    As an old Italian Scotsman once told me...."I tella you once; I tella you twice"...."You must be disciplined me laddie"......
    At least I think that's what he said.:)

Wayne
    DEL likes this.
  8. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    I'm as impulsive as a woman in a shoe shop.
    DEL and DaddyO like this.
  9. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    If only!
    That's the least impulsive thing in the world. In my experience that involves visiting every shoe shop in a 50 mile radius only to go back to the first one to buy the shoes.
    Mind you that might have changed in the last twenty years as I refuse to go anymore. :D
    Tecumsea, DEL and valiant like this.
  10. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Don't forget the bit when they get home and say that they're not really sure they like them after all !!!
    DEL and billyturnip like this.
  11. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    :LOL:

I lied a bit, even if I wanted to go she wouldn't take me.
  12. samson Well-Known Member

United-States
    I feel like when i became interested in this hobby i was buying what it could afford and some that I couldn’t LOL got to the point where I wear ready to put paint on something and damn back and hip problems have came back to haunt me but I find nyself looking at pieces that interest me now . Mostly fantasy but some historical as well . I think i read in one of Shepard Paine books you if its a bad cast no amount of paint will make it better so i guess its fewer figures that are cast well and cost a little more .just my thoughts
    DEL likes this.
  13. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom

What was wrong Roger, didn't they have your size in any of the other shops!:LOL:
  14. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Del,
    I had the same feelings when I first started, the choice was overwhelming and still is, so not wanting to end up broke(again), insane(again) or with a warehouse like some(you know who you are;)) - I decided very early on to offload all the model kits I had and go thematic with my passion of the Zulu Wars. Saying that I do not buy everything that is released it still has to grab me.

If I ever do get the urge I just go up stairs and have a look at the volume of kits I have to paint.:eek:

All I'd say mate is stick to your passions, they have done alright by you so far and you have produced some very memorable pieces. So stop having these senior moments and go and have a glass of something nice:hungover:.

If you have the spare cash and can avoid the impulses why not commission the ultimate one off piece that you have always wanted to see produced(y).
    cheers
    Richie
    DEL and Helm like this.
  15. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    As you know you need to shop online for shoes....
    ipad-magic-chimpanzee.jpg

...if you have feet like....
    chimp-feet31.jpg
    Helm, ellie and Richie like this.
  16. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  17. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    I can only imagine what kind of state your socks are in after a couple of weeks of doing your job.
    DEL and Richie like this.
  18. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    If you haven't worn it in three years you won't , same goes for painting , as you buy more the further back goes the old stock :D
    DEL likes this.
  19. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    I'd usually agree with you on this Ron but having had a good look at all my old stuff I found something I'd forgotten I had.
    Pegaso 90mm Arminius the Cherusci featuring the best dead Roman ever sculpted ;)
    Just spent the day cleaning, filing, drilling pinning points and working out the best way to assemble what is a bloody heavy and quite complicated 22 piece lump of white metal.
    I'm completely enthused about doing this so in this case it's the new stuff that's on the back burner.
    Richie likes this.
  20. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom