1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Sarge,Vietnam 120mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by amcairns, Aug 7, 2008.

1. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hello All,
    Have done a little more to this figure lately.What interested me in the background picture was the chaotic layout of the pouches he is wearing and the movement of the folds.Can anyone tell me what the diagonal strap across his front does.I think the two front pouches are paired to the same strap,but im not sure what the diagonal one does,any suggestions?comments welcome.
    Andy

Attached Files:

2. godfather Member

Wonderful sculpt! Do you plan on releasing this for sale? As for the pouch, if it the one i am looking at, it may be a medical pouch or a pouch for his water “proof” poncho. That is just a guess mind you, as soldiers would use anything that was efficient and light.
  3. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    re godfather

Yes, I hope to release this sculpt as a kit all going well.
    Andy
  4. tankman3rd4id Member

United-States
    i think i may have an answer to the strap question many time i have seen an ammo pouch that is made of line material it holds i think 7 m-16 mags in it it was carried over the shoulder in a diagional manner this could be that strap.
  5. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Andrew, I think this is your best work to date. Great character figure! ~Gary
  6. specmod Active Member

Australia
    Hi Andrew

What a great looking figure,look forward to seeing that on the shelves if it makes it, deffinatly will add one to my collection.
    As for the straps, they are attached to ammunition bandoliers, which was very common during the Vietnam war era for front line soldiers, especially if on a long range patrol. Wouldnt wanna run outta ammo now. Hope this helps.
    Great work.
    Cheers
    Andrew
  7. Steve Well-Known Member

United-States
    Whatever that sling supports it isn't a bandolier. The straps on a 5.56 bandolier are not that wide, and not that long. The bandolier rides up near the rib cage. Also, since he is carrying a shotgun, he himself would have no use for 5.56, though it is plausible but unlikely that he would carry ammo for riflemen. The pouch hanging in front of his crotch, which looks to supported by the diagonal sling does not ring a bell either; it could well be of local manufacture. His scattergun loads have to be somewhere... .
  8. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Andy, this is certainly one of you best.
    Thank you for sharing.

Cheers
    Roc
  9. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Thanks Guys

Gary,Brock and Guys,
    Thanks for your replys,its a big help.But I need to discuss this further.What say the carabiner is clipped on the strap that is diagonally across his chest and was used for that sole purpose either that or the carabiner is clipped to his harness,which is more plausible.If the strap was part of an ammo belt then the ammo must be behind on his back in this photo.How would shotgun shells be carried in this instance then.With a standard M16 bandolier?,was that done in Vietnam at the time?

I think this guy is on a lengthy patrol and has forded a waterway as he is wet from the waist down.So he may well be properly kitted out.
    Andy
  10. specmod Active Member

Australia
    Straps??

In regards to those mystry straps,steve may be correct that they are not ammo bandoliers, though its not because of their width, as l myself am ex military, and they are the right size for this, any thinner and they would cut off circulation, and they were well known for stretching and becomming thinner, especially in a tropical climate.
    Anyway, they may also be for the bags that Claymores came in, and were often carried this way, especially when going to a Ambush site. These bags were also used to carry other items as well by the troops.
    Thanks Steve for making me think good and hard over this one.
    Cheers
    Andrew
  11. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    very nice sculpting !
    do show us more pics
  12. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Re Andrew

The claymore satchel sounds like a good idea and will most probabbly work with this figure.There seams to be a d ring attached to the strap with another strap possbly off that,any suggestions?.I,ll go with that idea any way.
    Andy
  13. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Andy i have no idea regarding the straps but just wanted to say the figure looks fantastic so far and i would love to see more images if possible.

Steve
  14. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Andy,

I've been studying the photo carefuly in an effort to try and answer your question, and I'm leaning towards a Claymore satchel too. The Claymore would certainly make sense if he was on an ambush patrol, and so would the shotgun.

Typically grunts in the field in Vietnam would canibalise all sorts of military bags, packs, sacks and items of webbing equiptment, along with assorted bits of civilian kit, as a practical adaptation to whatever conditions they found themselves in.

In short Andy, there's no hard and fast rules to what they wore or how they wore it, and you should feel free to interpret this figure any way you want.

And, by the way Andy, its a fantastic figure mate. Do you know anything about the guy who is the subject of the photo??

Cheers
  15. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    A grand figure with a lot of character!

All the best,
    Dan
  16. Bad91Fellow Member

Germany
    Really nice figure!

Lennart
  17. IIICorps Active Member

United-States

Kinda look like Claymores. There are two of them. One on his left hip and one in front.
    [IMG]

:confused:
  18. theseeker Member

United-States
    Andy,

Great sculpting! Ditto to what Tony said. The grunts in Nam made do with whatever they could.

Rocky
  19. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Re Guys

Tony,Dan,Steve,Lennart,3corps and Rocky,
    Thanks for your comments,they,ve all been a big help.When it comes to working the back thee will be alsorts to add local additions and issue.
    Andy
  20. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Fantastic sculpting

Hi Andy,Great figure.I too think this is your best sculpt so far.The folds and creases look fantastic.Hope to see him at the club meeting.

Kind regards John:):):)