1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review Samurai Archer from AVE Miniatures

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Nap, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Hello to all on PF ,

The skills of the archer are a part of Japanese history with not only Samurai but also common soldiers being skilled in the art both on foot and for the Samurai on horseback.

Following on from AVE Miniatures thread announcing the release of a archer here:

http://www.planetfigure.com/threads...ew-release-ave-miniatures.68341/watch-confirm

Here is what we will be looking at in this review

0aaaaaa.jpg

I was sent a copy to share my thoughts with you all but before I do lets have some reference pictures and details on bows in Japan.

Bows or Yumi in Japanese there are generally 4 type long bows, half bows, small bows and short bows.with bows are of impressive thickness, and they are constructed of a combination of bamboo and other woods.

Long Bows: These are almost seven feet in length and there are two kinds. One is called "Shigetou,'' which was used by Samurais, and the other is called "Kazuyumi," which was used generally by soldiers. "Shigetou" means "coiled rattan," and this material wrapped the body of this bow. The grip of the long bow is very low position

Half Bows: They are five feet long and their structure is different than that of the long bows. The half bow is thinner than the long bow and its bowstring is attached to the side of the bow that is bent. The bowstring of the long bow is attached to the side opposite the bend. The grip of the half bow is located almost at the middle, a little lower than the center. It is covered by leather.

Small Bows: This bow is tiny in comparison to the others, The advantage of this weapon is that the bowstring is always set and arrows can be shot anytime. The case usually is decorative so it might be used to decorate an alcove of a bedroom. The small bow is two feet five inches long and is called a "Rimankyu."

Short Bows: These are called Riman-kyu. Its overall length is 62 cm (about two feet).
    The effective range of these bows within which they will inflict damage upon the enemy varies considerably. The effective range of the long bow is 60 yards, of the half bow it is 30 yards, and the small bow is effective up to perhaps 12 yards

The subject was based on this picture and he carrys a Long Bow , an amazing weapon and length
    00000000.jpg
    0000000.jpg
    000.jpg
    0.jpg
    0aa.jpg
    000000.jpg
    0000.jpg 0aaaa.jpg
    0aaa.jpg
    Continued in next post:

Nap
    Oda, Piotr Gonczarek, Grod and 5 others like this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    On now to the actual review kit:

These are the details of the release:

Title: Samurai Archer

Scale - 1/10

Pieces - 6 (3 Resin , 1 string and 2 metal pieces)

Material - Gray Resin

Sculptor - Gissar

The review piece was sent along with others from AVE in a secure box I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised at the speed they were received so credit to Andrew at AVE for that .

The parts were in a clear bag , the actual bow piece was separate , its on a strong former but perhaps might have been better also on a card backing .The parts consist of the main torso , the bow , the bow case , the string , and 2 pieces of wire to form the case ,there are no arrows included AVE Samurai 001.jpg

I was also sent a diagram about fitting these here:
    0aaaaa.jpg

Lets look at the prep needed on the pieces , the torso had a very small casting remnant on the underside , a quick rub with the sanding pad and it was gone , and a fine casting line also on the underside at the top of the small pedastal , we also have a line at the back of the neck area again easily taken off. The bow is attached 4 formers leading to a length of resin ... careful use of your chosen tool will remove the bow itself .

Once you have cleaned the bow up you will need to fit the string as per the diagram .

General thoughts :
    For some perhaps not the typical Japanese face but I like it , the width of the bow perhaps is a little wide and some may think fragile but then what isn't in one way or another in our little world!!! What I am impressed with is the sheer simplicity and style of the piece and to be honest you could quite easily fill in the small hole at the back and leave off the bow and still have a nice piece.

On to the main Torso, this is sculpted with the head looking to the right , perhaps at a training target in the distance . Our subject wear the clothing over his shoulder with good folds , this is a nice touch and its good to see no armour!! , the surface is really smooth , and just crying out to have a pattern painted on it (perhaps similar to the Ronin recently posted by Zernia) or you could follow the pictures and keep it plain.

The rest is the upper chest area , well formed and again very smooth finish , nice work on the muscles , you can almost feel the power of him after so many years at the bow.
    AVE Samurai 005.jpg AVE Samurai 006.jpg AVE Samurai 008.jpg AVE Samurai 007.jpg AVE Samurai 009.jpg AVE Samurai 010.jpg
    The neck area is well worked with good structure , the undersides of the chin has a good details on the flesh , leading up to a really nice face full of character , this is a man in his late 40's perhaps 50's , the expression is great and very powerful , strong features , not typically Japanese but well done , the forehead is slightly lined . AVE Samurai 011.jpg Eyes are piercing , with nice definition , with the same can be said of the ears and nose area .
    AVE Samurai 012.jpg
    The hair style is a sweptback with the top shaved or maybe he has lost his hair through time , I really like the hair , good lining of the strands of hair and working of the top knot .
    AVE Samurai 014.jpg
    AVE Samurai 013.jpg
    A nice touch as well is the bases is formed from the underside into which AVE have thoughfully put a thick piece of wire , useful for both mounting and holding during painting.
    AVE Samurai 004.jpg
    The Bow, this is well sculpted , perhaps a little thick in scale for some but nice work all the way up and when positioned to the piece really is a sweeping statement .
    AVE Samurai 002.jpg
    The Bow Case , very smooth all over fitting is by using the smaller of the 2 wires into the pieces and the back of the torso where we find a well positioned hole. No pattern is on the case another chance to get that brush swirling!!
    AVE Samurai 003.jpg
    The Bow String this is a elasticated piece of "cotton" and a good idea making fitting easy , some may still wish to use a wire .

Final Thoughts:

Its always good to have the resin in front when reviewing as well as an optivisor and this was a release that mine did not find much wrong , AVE are a web based shop , shipping was fast and efficient with good communication from Andrew .
    The subject is a painters piece on which it can be as plain or patterned as you like , very good casting and sculpting , minimal prep ( as described) the result: an imposing figure even more so with the bow in place .

My advice is give AVE a try , they have busts and figures available ( more on the figures in later reviews!!!)

Website details (online store) :

www.aveminiatures.com

Thanks to AVE for the Review piece ........

and of course to you dear reader for looking in

Happy modelling

Nap
    Oda, Piotr Gonczarek, AVE.M and 6 others like this.
  3. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Super Review Kevin,
    Packed with information as is your norm.
    Sounds, reads and looks like a great piece if you follow the Samurai Worriers.
    Thank you for the time and effort you put in my friend.
    All the best
    Keith
    Oda and napoleonpeart like this.
  4. Zastrow.cuirassier PlanetFigure Supporter

France
    An another time a superb review.
    It's what we need when reviewing a figure.
    Just in case the rédactor of the French magazine "FIGURINES", read this post :
    Change your way of reviewing news in your magazine, ask Kevin to do that !!!!!!!
    In fact, for some time the quality of the magazine, and the presentation of news is not at the top.
    Always the same stereotyped phrases without really objective criticism.
    So thank you to PF members as Kevin how make objective criticism and wonderful review!
    Oda, AVE.M and napoleonpeart like this.
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi guys ,

Keith ,

Thanks for the comment it is a nice piece

ZC,

You are too kind my friend feel free to suggest me to Figurines Magazine though!..Translation should be ok !

Glad members find the reviews useful

Nap
    Wings5797 likes this.
  6. swralph A Fixture

Another great review Kevin.
    Ralph.
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  7. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Kevin, you are the undisputed master of reviews here!

I really enjoyed viewing this. Thank you!

Joe
  8. Bob Orr Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Do not have any pictures in my numerous samurai references of the longbow in a case although the short bows were frequently in a carry or travelling case. They are asymmetrical with a lower handgrip because they were originally used on horseback and the shorter lower limb could then be lifted over the horses head. These bows were always carried by hand (whether mounted or on foot) in any any references I have. The rattan wrapping on the bow is bit oversized too. It is generally very flat and best represented by painting. The effective ranges quoted by Kev may well be for modern target style bows which have quite a low draw weight of around 30 lbs or so. War bows had a much larger draw weight of 150 lbs or more and had considerably longer range. The small bows were used for self defence when travelling in a palanquin or sometime by women as self defense at home.
    Nice bust though and not all Japanese look "traditionally" what we think Japanese look like! Bob
    Wings5797 and napoleonpeart like this.
  9. Nap Moderator

England

Hi Bob,

Thanks for posting and the very interesting information on the position of the lower handgrip , the hand grips could be sanded down easily.

As for the ranges , I got the information from a Japsnese site so might refer to more modern bows , but if they have pulls of 30 and that distance you would need to be almost out of sight with the larger draw weights..no wonder the bowmen of Japan were such a vital part of a battlefield .

Another option might be to not use the bow and put some arrows in the case which would add another dimension and version

Like you say a nice bust but not a "traditionally" Japanese look as such but interesting to review

Thanks for your input all detais are welcome

Nap