1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Sacagawea (Sacajawea)

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by JCOX, Aug 15, 2005.

1. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Hey all,

It's been a while, but here's my latest attempt. This is bust of Sacagawea with her son (Pomp). It's based losely on the one dollar coin image.

-jim cox

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  2. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Jim,

Looks pretty nice. What did you use for the putty?

Joe
  3. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    very nice! (y)
  4. Le Lancier Member

Canada
    What can I say Jim, I'm truly humbled by your work. Beautiful piece...

Francis
  5. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Awesome work Jim.........great subject.
  6. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Jim..very nice sculpting....you captured a very beautiful face.
    Great job. Will we see you paint this one in the near future?...I'd definately like to see it.

All the best.

Roy.
  7. LCoote New Member

Australia
    Excellent work Jim! Nice looking face, Great details as well, I love it!
  8. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Thanks everyone. I hope to have her painted in the near future. Still have a few touch-ups though.

Joe - I used mostly gray sculpey ordered from an online site I found on the clubhouse forum.

-jim cox
  9. fsdesimone Member

How'd you find the grey sculpey btw?

Francesca
  10. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Here's the link: Gray Sculpting Compound
  11. fsdesimone Member

LOL - no I meant "how did you find it to use?" Were the properties better/worse compared to regular sculpey or when you mix a grey color yourself? ;)

Francesca

PS - Thanks for the link though!
  12. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Jim,

She is looking wonderfull. Great sculpting.
    Did Quang inspired you ????????????
    Is it becoming commercial available?????????
    I hope it is, because it is great and i wanna have one.

Marc.
  13. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Oops sorry. The properties are the same as mixing super sculpey with sculpey III like Gary does (without the finger cramps). It has a firm feel, blends well and is very opaque. Ordered 5lbs (their minimum) and love it. Hope that helps.

Marc, I've always been a big fan of Quang's indians and I did email him with a specific question concerning this project. He was a big help. Sorry, this is just a one off.

-jim cox
  14. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Hello Jim,

I didn't know about this thread until it pops up on the New Messages pages. :eek:

One remark about the clothing, if I may. As far as I can tell by the deer tail on the front, the dress is a two-skin deer tail type (which would be appropriate for the period and geographical location). The deer tail is NOT a separate ornament but a part of the dress as can be seen on the drawing. If it's not too late, I think it would be worthy to make the simple corrections on the sculpt. If it's too late, well, you'll know for the next one. ;)

[IMG]

In any case, it a very convincing and brave attempt at a subject which is not always as simple and straightforward as it appears. (y)

All the best,
    Quang
  15. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Quang,

Thanks for the tip. So would the tail go below the quill work collar or above it as it is now without the fastener (just draped over)? I'm thinking it would probably be below and the quill work sewn on top of the hide to connect the front/back pieces (same with the shoulder quill work)?

-jim cox
  16. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Hello Jim,

I tried to locate a picture of a two-skin bress but typically enough, cannot find any. Hope the following sketch would help.

[IMG]

The two skins are stitched together at the shoulders and the stitch line disguised with quill/ bead work (narrow, 1 inch-wide for the period). In this early period, quill/beadworks were rather discreet and kept to a minimum. The neck line is left free of course.

The hanging, overturned part with the tail is called the 'yoke' and is often painted yellow. It is this part which would become the cape in later designs like the 3-skin dress (when large animals become scarcer and it would need three smaller skins to make one dress).

If you need more details, just shoot! ;)

HTH

Q. :)