1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Russian Revolution

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by smudger1960, Feb 25, 2014.

1. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Just to follow on from my last posting, I did plan to create some sort of back drop for this bust and I finally decided on an archway,a type in keeping with a Russian theme, also it would give me an opportunity to add some more weathering to help set the bust within the scene.
    The brickwork was created from sheets of embossed brick which I purchased from my local model railway shop, these were then cut to size and shaped and glued to a backing of Black 0.80 plasticard and put aside to dry.
    Next I cut out the stone cladding which would represent the arch from White plasticard 0.60,these were shaped and glued onto the brickwork to represent the arch.
    I added a lions head which was a dolls house accessorie to the centre of the arch to give it some character as these sort of things were very popular all over Europe.
    The lamp was taken from an old verlinden 1/35th set (Lamposts),I decided to set it on a block of stone which was created from a piece of balsa also cut and shaped.
    The icicles were created from broken plastic,i used the casing from a cheap biro and broke it up into small pieces which I then cut to points at one end and then glued these in place beneath the arch were they would naturally form.
    I don't use any snow powders now as after a while the stuff seems to come off so I wanted something more permanent,for this I mixed equal amounts of polyfilla + PVA + Matt 34 humbrol white acrylic all together and applied the mix along the top of each brick where the snow would hold,i only added this to the outside of the arch NOT the inside.
    The brick work was basecoated in GW eshin grey (2 coats) then futher shades were added over this with GW Tallarn stone / Ushabiti stone / Karak stone / Terminatus stone,after drying the stone work was washed with thin veils of Sepia and Burnt sienna oil paint,the icicles just received a little touch of matt white at the tops.
    I really enjoyed this little project and many thanks to all those who followed the previous posts with their very kind coments.

Hope you enjoy the finished result,all coments and criticism welcome.

Happy modeling

Brian / Smudger

bolshevik backdrop final 002.JPG bolshevik backdrop final 003.JPG bolshevik backdrop final 005.JPG bolshevik backdrop final 007.JPG bolshevik backdrop final 008.JPG bolshevik backdrop final 009.JPG
    Tommi, crf, Jimbo and 20 others like this.
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    That is great work. Like the wall backdrop.
    It give's alot more to this bust.

Marc
    Kisifer likes this.
  3. Helm A Fixture

England
    Top notch work Brian really like the way it's been done and the setting is perfect (y)
    Steve
  4. BarrieHynd Well-Known Member

Scotland
    This looks really good Brian. Great work(y).

Barrie.
  5. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    That's exceptional Smudge.
    Lovely idea which really works.

Gells
  6. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Awsome work Brian! Really nice idea for a background...
    Where do you come up with this things really?

Regards
    Pedro
  7. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Great idea and tip-top execution, Brian! Looks awesome! Love it!
    Cheers,
    Zeno
  8. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Brian,
    What a great idea. Well done on all counts.
    Cheers
    John
  9. waterloo1815 Active Member

United-States
    GREAT work Brian!! REALLY where DO YOU come up with these ideas??? As far as I'm concerned you are an "ELITE" modeler!! Hope I don't start a war with that comment!! Dave
  10. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Bloody marvellous Brian. Great presentation and concept.
  11. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Great imagination to construct this beauty Brian.
    I am in awe of the concepts that you build around these figures and busts.
    I cannot praise your work highly enough.
    Keith
  12. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Brian that very nicely done my friend. The idea of the background it's just great.

Xenofon
  13. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Brian a very informative build and a stunning result mate .(y)

Cheers Ken
  14. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    This turned out to be a right eye catcher Brian.Really well done.
    Brian
  15. swralph A Fixture

Very nice bit of scratchbuilding(y)
  16. Tommys War A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Criticism? You're kidding. It's superbly painted and the background is a fantastic composition.
  17. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Another brilliant idea Brian.
    Very nice.(y)
  18. Figurenfreund66 Well-Known Member

Germany
    Wow - what a fantastic job !

Hendryk
  19. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks Marc,glad you liked it mate
  20. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks Steve for those kind comments (y)