1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Royal Naval Division WIP

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Dan Morton, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Hope you like these three WIP photos. Please bear in mind that close-ups show much more than the bare eyeball in reality and sort of draw your attention to errors. For those of you who've forgotten, this diorama shows three British Royal Naval Division figures during the defense of Antwerp in 1914. It's in 120mm and uses heads and hands from TLB and Verlinden, figures sculpting in Magicsculpt and the base is Super Sculpey. This should show you the basic pose of the three figures and at least some of their uniform detail. Lots more to do. Field equipment to add next. At last you get to see the gaiters that caused me so *^!+|$= much trouble!!!

All the best,
    Dan

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

ps - Changing the subject abruptly! I got the nicest e-mail from the ladies in charge of the photo and uniform collections of the Belgian Army Museum. I have had trouble finding a good clear photo of the Belgian cavalry shako for the other diorama I'm working on - "The Belgian Cavalry at Work". They sent me some excellent photos of Belgian cavalry uniforms, including the shako of interest. Problem solved! I've asked them if it's OK if I post the photos on pF. We'll see what they say....
  2. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Dan, I like the posing of the figures. It's nice to see this project finally progess forward, but all the research to get it right pays off in the end. I'm glad to see you're getting the information you need for your Belgian cavalry project.~Gary
  3. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks so much, Gary! A little progress....

It's funny about the museum response. On earlier projects, I've written to 3 or 4 museums without success or even so much as a "We can't help you. Sorry." Now the Imperial War Museum, Royal Marines, Royal Navy, and Belgian Army Museum have all come thru like gangbusters with photos, answering questions, etc.

All the best,
    Dan
  4. DaveCox Member

United-Kingdom
    This little trio looks better with every new post Dan.
  5. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Looking good Dan. Great poses, in nearly every photo you see of British servicemen in WW1 at least one has a gasper in his mouth. I nearly said fag but due to the international flavour of the forum thought I'd use the Great War expression. :)

Roger.
  6. DaveCox Member

United-Kingdom
    Dan, just found a link that shows how the 'cap tally' is tied. A few years ago when I was a Petty Officer Instructor in the Sea Cadet Corps I had to teach youngsters how to tie these things and it ain't easy I promise! Just thought it may be useful for the future. The ones on your figures are ok for WW1, as in a campaign situation I doubt very much that "Chiefy" would be round inspecting these!

Cap tally
  7. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    VERY NICE,Dan (y) (y) !!! I'll be looking forward to the next steps. Cheers !
    Kenneth.
  8. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for the comments, guys! Today I'm going to try to do some field equipment. For me, one of the interesting things about the RND in 1914 was the haphazard and even ramshackle nature of their equipment. Read the Hood Battalion by Len Sellers for more info or visit the Great War Forum and read the RND thread. They were sent to defend Antwerp with anything that RN stores had available. Many were without coats, and this was in October. Anyway backpacks, blankets, etc. are next on the list.

Just curious - Did you notice the gloves with finger cut-outs? Probably you can't make them out in the photos. Anyway all three are meant to be wearing civy gloves with the fingertips removed.

Dave - Many thanks for the URL showing how to tie a cap tally. Who knew? The arcane, even bizarre things one learns as a figure modeller! I find almost even more bizarre the Royal Marine cap with its red inset and brass cap badge. That thing looks wierd. The RM has the red inset done, but I have to go back and add all the cap and uniform badges and stuff.

All the best,
    Dan
  9. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Dan, looks pretty good so far, looking forward to seeing more.

Cheers
    Roc. :)
  10. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Must admit that is the first time I've seen an illustrated guide on how to tie a cap tally and thats after doing 23 years in the Royal Navy. We were just shown by someone who "knew".
    The Royal Marines still wear a red badge backing on the dark blue beret they wear during training before they receive the green one. Bandsman also wear it.

Roger.