1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Royal Naval Division Rating, Tommy's War 54mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Old Man, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Old Man Member

United-States
    I have the head on this finally, and thought I would move it up here from the beginner's sub-forum. I am hoping for advice on improvement of the figure. I am sure there is room for some.

Anyway, here is the figure as it stands now (photos taken outdoors on a sunny day but in shadow, with diffused flash).

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

I am not through with the bayonet and scabbard, and I intend to put this on a base which will largely shield the rear of the figure from view.

Earlier stages can be found here:

http://www.planetfigure.com/threads...-at-antwerp-1914-54mm-from-tommys-war.103792/
    Osebor, Grod and captnenglish like this.
  2. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    I don't know if this is your first figure but you have done well. From a personal point of view, the blue on the uniform looks as if it needs another thin coat. This is by no means a criticism, but you can find a few tutorials on painting eyes here on PF, don't worry we have all been there, my painting of a French infantryman has seen the dettol bath already.
    Old Man likes this.
  3. Old Man Member

United-States

Thank you, Sir.

It is my fourth, in the last several years. I did them in my teens for a bit, long ago. I do intend to do more.

I gather you feel the blue needs to be a bit stronger, or that the highlights and shadows should be blended a little more? Basically a sort of wash in the navy blue mix, then.

I have tried to follow tutorials an advice on the eyes, and something still seems to elude me. The last thing I did to the head before I attached it to the figure was to run a very thin flesh-tone wash on it. I meant this as a blender for various tones in the face, and to tone down the eye whites (I had done them with white mixed with flesh, but they came to seem too stark to me in bright light). I think it did both these things, but it also has negated shading under the brows. That I feel fine about putting in, but what has given me fits is the area under the eyes. I have tried to suggest the 'bags', and nothing seems to work. I am also curious whether I should try and narrow the eyes a bit from below.
  4. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    I think taking the picture in natural light has blown out all the good work you have done. There are a number of videos on you tube which I found useful, on painting faces. As for the blue, it just needs another thin coat, then shade and a little highlight.
    but don't worry, practice goes a long way.
    Old Man likes this.
  5. Old Man Member

United-States
    Thank you.

I was not aware natural light was bad for the purpose. I am used to thinking sunlight is good, when photographing my aeroplanes.

I have given the uniform a wash of the navy blue, and went to work on the eyes a bit. I tried to restore the shade under the brows, and define the upper lids better. I narrowed them a it from the bottom as well.

I had taken these before your second reply, so the light is the same as the earlier ones.

[IMG]

[IMG]
    DEL likes this.
  6. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    I think it kinda depends on what you're going for.
    This style is near enough high end toy soldier painting.
    I knew a modeller who produced military bands painted in this style and they were spectacular.
    Each was accurate to a specific event where each band performed.
    So find your style and develop it....... you're very close.
    Cheers
    Derek
    bricks tattoo and Viking Bob like this.
  7. Old Man Member

United-States

Thank you for the encouragement, Sir. Much appreciated. I will also be trying some different lighting conditions, as well. I confess I kind of like how this looks held in my hand about a foot off....

But I do want to improve. I have a couple of white metal Napoleonics I would like to do a good job on, and there are several Victorian and Great War period figures I would like to get as well.
  8. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    I think you are doing very well at this stage. One of the things I try to do on the eyes is do the upper eyelid in a dark brown or black. This needs to be a very thin line. Usually I start with the black eyelid and the paint the off white eye and the add the pupil. This way you can paint over some of the eyelid to make it thinner. Adding the eyelid afterwards is just a little trickier. Just don't overdo it. Maybe the next figure.

Also, as Viking Bob mentioned, it is easy to take a photo with too bright a light that washes out all the shading. I have this trouble all the time. On my windows 10 PC, the standard photo viewer/editor allows me to adjust the light intensity of the photo. This can give me an idea of what things would look like if I decrease or increase the light. Sometimes just using the editor to do a small tweak is enough.

Ken
  9. Squiremon PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Good progress. Your SBS left me exhausted, as we all have been there - working, reworking, working and on and on. Everyone has their own style which is continually developing. You might want to think about giving the figure a generous matte wash to tone down the brightness. Faces, and eyes especially, only come with practice as I am going through similar challenges. The good folks on PF are a tremendous help, offering great counsel, suggestions and guidance to all.
    Viking Bob likes this.
  10. Osebor PlanetFigure Supporter

Spain
    Another one I have on my stash, waiting patiently his turn... Good one. Agree about the eyes, but If I showed you some of my "first..."
  11. bricks tattoo Well-Known Member

good job. In my experience, blue is a tough color to work with if your not used to it. best way to learn is...... grab another figure :):):)
  12. Old Man Member

United-States
    I have all the extra bits on this now, and am considering the figure done. Attachment to the plain base is not permanent, I may do something more elaborate in future, but haven't the time just now.

I put on a matte coat, which unfortunately frosted a bit. A thin bit more blue cleared that up well enough, and I had to do a little more on the face, too; the flat seemed to wash everything out a bit.

I had a devil of a time getting pictures. I finally hit on putting my lamps outside the light-box, shining on its sides, with the figure positioned a little back of where they hit the sides. It seems to work better than anything I have tried before, anyway....

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Thanks to all of you who took the time to give advice and encouragement. Both are much appreciated.

I will be getting another figure next month, probably something Victorian.
    KenBoyle, Old Pete and Osebor like this.