1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Roundhead Cavalry 54mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by kansas kid, Dec 13, 2010.

1. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    My right knee seems to be responding much better since Arthroscopic surgery at the end of October, so I can sit for longer periods at the hobby bench. I wanting to have several entries for the IPMS/USA National Convention in Omaha, Nebraska next August. And a great deal of time should be spent on each entry, to make sure the finished model has a chance to compete against very stiff competition. I started with the Airfix 54mm French Cuirassier 1815 figure, on a rearing horse. I’m also using some pieces from the box of Historex spare parts.

But, I wanted to convert this figure to the era of the English Civil War (ECW in the 1640s) and use a figure from the Airfix ECW set of three figures, and hope to convert him to a Roundhead Cavalryman. I was intrigued by that very distinctive helmet with the Face Guard that raises up . . . so he can drink a Coca Cola when on Break, perhaps. Unfortunate, I can not legally reproduce here some of the photos from Osprey Books on that era. I have four of them, and they are very helpful.

I used Duratite two part putty to make the saddle blanket and the first part of the leather saddle that fits over it. The straps and belts for each part of the figure will come from lead foil, cut with a metal ruler.

Attached Files:

kaz6120, unknown01, geralds and 3 others like this.
  2. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Roundhead Cavalry Part II

I used Duratite two part putty to make the saddle blanket and the first part of the leather saddle that fits over it. The straps and belts for each part of the figure will come from lead foil, cut with a metal ruler.

Here are two kit parts from the ECW Airfix set of three, that I used to fabricate a saddle. I used my hobby knife to cut away the unwanted parts. I’m starting to use copper wire more now with figure, as it will bend easily and hold the position you want. The picture below shows the saddle parts dry fitted together and the copper wire that was inserted into drilled holes. The legs of the figure have thigh high boots as is visible. So later I carved down the boot tops as I wanted boots with more of a Cavalier flair and wide top openings so I can stick pistols down into the boot tops, as some references shows.

Apoxy Sculpt putty was used to fill in the big gap in the center line of the saddle. The putty and my “dowel rod rolling pin” are sprinkled with Talcum Powder and rolled out on a piece of Wax Paper, very thin. Then my hobby knife and a steel ruler are used to cut the shape of the piece I want. After mixing the putty, I let it sit for at least 40 minutes before rolling it.

Attached Files:

Mike Stevens likes this.
  3. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Roundhead Cavalry Part III

I wanted to use a substitute resin head, but the kit helmet is so small, and also solid plastic; difficult to hollow out, as I saw it. So I am attempting to make a scratch built helmet using the kit face guard with hinges added from Historex. I used my Vacuform machine with the rounded tips of wood dowel rods for the mold shape of the helmet. (Red Arrows) Sheet styrene was used to fabricate the neck armor on the back of the helmet. The ear pieces are not made yet.

And if you fine ladies and Gentlemen might find time to respond to this thread
    I would be happy to read your comments.

The Miami Jayhawk, Rick Brownlee

Attached Files:

4. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Rick nice to see one of your projects back on the website and what an ambitious project it is mate.

I like the initial idea for this build and being ECW its not a subject overdone with modellers so that's a bonus. Also there are some dynamics to the figure with the rearing horse which will make it all the more appealing.
    I can see from the photo that you haven't fixed the torso permanently to the legs yet and that will explain the too straight appearance of the figure, he will need plenty of forward lean to compensate for the horse rearing.

great idea to go for the scratchbuilt helmet, looking at the original kit part i think it would require too much work on that solid lump of plastic to make it convincing, the new scratch version works very well and i can see there has already been a lot of work put into that, great idea to vacu form the dome to give you a good starting point to build on.

I am looking forward to seeing this project develop mate and i know you will take your time and care on it to get it the best you can.

All the best mate

Stevo
  5. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Rick, that's really cool. I have a similar one on the bench using an Airfix horse and other bits. You're gonna make me look like a copycat now :)
  6. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Rick, as Steve said it's an ambitious build, but I'm sure that it will turn out great.
    To quote you, will there be news at 11?
    Carl.
  7. sirhogr Member

Greece
    Great start Rick. Looking forward to see this project go!

George!
  8. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Senor Readdie. . . appreciate the encouragement

Hey Steve:

Thanks for having a look see at this project, my friend. And I will take to
    heart especially what you said about the need for "forward lean" by the uppa'
    torso on this Roundhead dude. Big Time. I'd given that a lot of thought early
    on, but kind of forgot about that point. Must make a written note, as the IPMS
    Judges will really look at that specific area closely. I will call on you to
    give me you opinion especially in that area, when it comes time to start
    fabricating his upper torso, clothing, etc.

Thanks again, mate,

ricardo
  9. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Rick,

An excellent concept mate, and so far it looks like you're handling it with ease. Interesting to see you using the vacuform for the helmet.

I'll be following your progress with great interest.
  10. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Howdy Long John sans silver. . .

Hi Ho John:

Thanks for taking time to respond to this thread just posted today. And good
    luck with your Airfix 54mm figure as well. I would be curious to see WIP and
    SBS photos of your progress as well. . . nothing wrong with being a copy cat,
    there John. It isn't like we are in the same IPMS chapter, right? (y)
    (y)(y):)

Kansas Kid
  11. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Back to Smiling Pig Avatar

Hey there Newsman, Carl w/ the Smiling Piggy

Oh Miss Piggy. . . Where was I? Oh yes, News at 11? Ah Ha. . . now I getting
    back the same attempts at humor I've been using, here. Ha ha Aw chair-borne
    Carl, that cute. Made me laugh. Fer sure, my friend. . .

Inquiring minds want to know, and Will there be News at Eleven??

Ex-reporter with broken pencil,

Jaybird

PS. Glad to see the Piggy avatar again, it reminds me of some of my Heart-
    land friends. . . here on Bacon Blvd.
  12. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Greetings George Vogiatzis

Hi George:

Thank you for taking time to look at this rather rudimentary effort, at least
    at this point. But I'm always hoping some beginners will find sumpin' of
    value . . . one of the reason I included pix of my old Vacuform machine.

So thanks for your encouraging words. piraeus-Hellas? Is that somewhere in
    the beautiful country of Greece?

Rick Brownlee
  13. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello Tony down under

Hello Tony:

Thank you for your kind words. That old Mattel Vacuform was a toy released
    by that Old line American Company back in the 1960s. I bought mine from
    the Sears Christmas catalogue before the Govt. forbid Mattel from selling it
    anymore. There was concern that children could burn their hands using the
    machine, it the touched the heating elements, during it use. But it still woiks
    just fine, altho I don't use it often.

Thanks again,

Miami Jayhawker
  14. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Any help i can offer you know where i am mate !!!!

Just sent you mail

Stevo
  15. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Ken, i will follow this closely.
    Find this amazing. Never saw that Mattel piece here in the Netherlands.
    You are doing fine, i hope you will post the next serie soon.

Marc
  16. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello Marc. . .

Hi Marc:

It was so kind of you to respond to this thread. And I will definitely try to
    keep graphic updates re WIP/SBS coming. I presume you saw my explanation
    of the Mattel (whoa, Nellie, I hope I'm spelling that word correctly. I don't
    think it is spelled Matell. Oh gosh.) Vacuform toy, to Tony. I had a couple of
    typos in that note, but hopefully you could finger out what was ma' meaning.

The heating element in it doesn't get too hot, so I don't use styrene sheet
    thicker than 10 thousandths. Now if I have to do that, say with 20
    thousandths sheet styrene, I get one of my high wattage lamps with the
    goose neck "feature" so I can place that extra hot lamp right over the top
    of the place where the plastic rectangle is softening. I test the plastic from
    time to time by pushing a pencil down into the corner, and seeing how far
    it sags. Of course, experience helps. There is a pump handle on the right
    side, and after you swing the arm with the soft plastic trapped in it, over
    the mold, you pump the handle and it sucked the styrene rectangle down
    on to the mold. There are a lot of tiny holes in the platform part, where the
    mold is attached with double stick tape or Blue Tack.

Duh, probably more information than you wanted, eh? :):)

Thanks again, Marc,

rick
  17. fanai Well-Known Member

Australia
    way to go Ric - he is coming along well - like the helmet and glad Steve saw the issue to help

Keep us posted on wip

Ian
  18. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Roger that, Ian. . .

Hello Ian, my friend:

Roger that, mate. I certainly intend to post regular WIP photos from time to
    time. As I intend to stay with this equestrian entry in the National Convention
    contest. . . and hopefully, have some other entries ready, perhaps even a
    Sci-Fi Star Wars type of model entry or entries, ready by then as well.

So it should be a very busy year coming up. . . for the old Jayhawker

So good to hear from you Ian,

rick
  19. blaster A Fixture

United-States
    Hello Rick,

Any Airfix conversion thread I like! You are doing fine.

Rgds Victor
  20. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Awesome work Rick. I haven't seen one of those Mattel VF's in ages! (y) They were the envy of all the a/c modelers!!