1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique "Rough Rider" - First Volunteer Cavalry - Spanish American War

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Dan Morton, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    This is a single 1/16th scale figure posed similarly to the Buffalo Soldier Memorial to Medal of Honor recipient Corporal Clinton Greaves, 9th US Cavalry, at Fort Bayard, New Mexico. This memorial was sculpted by Greg Whipple. If you have an interest in the post-Civil War to WW1 US Army and want to do an interesting Google image search, try "Buffalo Soldier Memorials". You should come up with text and photos of six or seven excellent Buffalo Soldier Monument sculptures portraying both cavalry and infantry. These are mostly on US Army installations and national parks.

Contrary to popular belief, the First Volunteer US Cavalry did not charge on horseback up San Juan Hill. They fought as dismounted infantry throughout the war because the naval transport provided to the US forces was poorly organized and inadequate in number and types of ships. Some horses arrived but they were mostly used to haul supplies and as mounts for senior officers.

The M1896 Krag-Jorgensen carbine - 0.30 - 40 caliber, total length 1046.5mm or 41.2 inches/barrel length 558.8mm or 22 inches was the standard issue weapon provided to US Cavalry during this period. In 1/16th scale, the total length is about 65.4mm. I started with one of Steve Readdie's US M1903 Springfield rifles and converted it to a Krag carbine. The pistol is one of Steve's 1873 Colt SAA cavalry revolvers. Since it was enclosed in the M1881 holster with only the pistol butt and trigger guard showing, it was close enough to the issued Colt Army & Navy revolvers 0.38 caliber revolver. Troopers wore mostly the M1889 campaign hat with the trousers of the M1884 brown fatique uniform trousers and the M1885 blue shirt. Field equipment included the Mills M1896 canvas cavalry cartridge belt, M1878 haversack, M1885/1898 canteen, leggings and M1893 campaign shoes. Source: Osprey "Roosevelt's Rough Riders", Warrior 138, by Alejandro de Quesada, illustrated by Stephen Walsh.
    The Rough Rider figure is approximately 105mm in height from bottom of boots to top of head.

I applied white primer to be able to see errors and make corrections and clean-up easier. Sorry about the photo quality - these were WIP photos and I hope to be able to post some better ones later.

Hope you like it!

All the best,

Dan

Attached Files:

Martin64, Grod, captnenglish and 4 others like this.
  2. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Tremendous work Dan. Is this going to be commercial?

- Steve
    Dan Morton likes this.
  3. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Babelfish likes this.
  4. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Some substantially better photos taken yesterday by my friend Pat Student! We're still scufflin' with lighting and camera settings and so forth. Pat actually discovered a new camera focusing capability during this two figure photo session. (y)

No idea where the head for this figure originated, but it originally had a full beard. The majority of Rough Riders shown in photos were either clean-shaven or had moustaches. I removed the beard and smoothed the chin, but then decided to go back and roughen up the chin and cheeks area trying to show rough stubble, pock marks, etc., etc. I don't think it looks bad, but I think I only got about 70% of what I was aiming for. Suggestions? Methods improvement recommendations?

All the best,
    Dan

Attached Files:

• A.JPG
      A.JPG
      File size:
      165.6 KB
      Views:
    • B.JPG
      B.JPG
      File size:
      172.2 KB
      Views:
    • C.JPG
      C.JPG
      File size:
      170.8 KB
      Views:
    • D.JPG
      D.JPG
      File size:
      179.8 KB
      Views:
    marco55 and Grod like this.
  5. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This is looking good Dan, plenty of movement going on.

If you see the chin as a problem, do you have any 'Mr Surfacer', or any liquid sprue to paint on the chin smoothing it?

The overall pose reminds me of someone caught on barbed wire, or someone on the modern firing range where he's dropped a magazine and cannot turn round for safety reasons.

Could you hang the mug off the other end so it snags on a fence post behind him?

Paul.
  6. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for the comment and suggestion about the chin Paul! I've been meaning to try Mr. Surfacer so I think I'll order some.

Uh...maybe, but then the end of the Krag-Jorgensen would be stuck in the ground and he'd be doing slapstick...

All the best,
    Dan
    peedee likes this.