1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Ronin first painting pictures

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by megroot, May 25, 2006.

1. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Hello Guys,

I'm very "proud" to show you the first pictures of my Ronin. The skin is finished (unfortunaly on the pic's to white) and the shirt is ready but still wet.
    The trouser is painted for the first time and is wet.
    So i wanna know of the colours that i have choosen are the right ones.
    Any comment or critism is really apreciated.

Marc.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
  2. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    He looks good so far Marc. I can't tell you much about the colors as I haven't found much reference on the Ronin for mine. Keep us posted on how he develops.
  3. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Thanks Guy,

No, you can find alot of Ronin, but nothing much about the clothing. So i speaked to a man who now alot about the history of Samurai etc. When he saw the figure he said: that is a "gipsy". So he has no bright colours on his clothing, but weathered natural looking colors.
    He said that the shirt could be an ochre, and the trouser indigoblue. So far so good.
    Marc.
  4. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Marc,
    he is looking good so far. I think whether the colors are "correct" or not they still look nice. The ochre and blue are nice compliments to each other. Keep us posted!

Jay H.
    OKC
  5. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Mark, I don't know very much about the subject matter but I do like colors you chose.

Cheers
    Roc. :)
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Jay and Rocco,

Thanks for your support. Really apreciate it.

Marc
  7. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Marc

It seems we do tend to paint the same figures, I have this on the bench as we speak, well done good colouring

Dave
  8. Excatlon Active Member

Poland
    keep up good work
  9. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    No Dave, not again. This is i think the fifth time when we paint the same figure in the same time without nowing from eachother.
    How can that be???

Damian
    Thanks for the support.

Marc
  10. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Marc, don't worry too much about the colours that you use, I know you want to try your best to be accurate in your choice, but the important thing is to enjoy your painting, and I know you love your oils.
    Oils always look a little misleading when they are still wet so it's not so easy to take good pictures. Personally, I would go for a selection of very worn out colours with not too much life left in them. If you are going for a pattern, then that's your own choice, but I would keep it fairly simple and subtle and also bear in mind the status of the man and how you want to portray him. I suppose 'gypsy' is a fairly good way to describe his wandering status, so have some fun painting him Marc, looks like yours will be the first one I see finished.

I'm a little reluctant to offer any suggestions now you have started painting, as it might interfere with your progress...but if you would like some scans of old prints that I used for reference, just shoot me an e-mail and I'll put some together for you..

Keep up the good work, get lots of opinions...and become even more confused.. :lol:

All the best...Roy.
  11. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Thanks for your really nice comments Roy.
    I have also some prints on my PC from a japanese artist (don't remember his name >50 is not the age for remembering :lol: ).
    I think you have a point about getting more confused when you have alot of information.
    So i'm happy with the replys i got.
    Working further on it this evening.

marc
  12. Kyle Member

United-States
    Excellent work, in my humble opinion. This is a difficult figure, with tough shading and folds in many places. It looks like you have really captured the nuances.

Very nice!

Kyle
    ;)
  13. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Looking good so far Marc.Looking forward to see this finished!
    Best regards
    christos
  14. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Thanks Chris and Kyle.

Sure, there are alot of folds in the figure. But i find this the great fun from painting. Putting colour on the figure and let the shape coming out from the sculptor with the paint.
    I spent some more hours with it, and i must say that i'm very satisfied so far with the result.
    The figure is in very weathered colours, not bright colours, and a very poor look. Afterall, a Ronin was a kind off vagrant.

Marc
  15. carpo Active Member

Australia
    Looking good so far (but as you say, the contrast is to great in your photo)
    The blue is the only colour you should really worry about. This blue (as far as my limited research can tell) should be a real indigo blue - a colour which was monopolised by the japanese for some time (please anyone correct me if i am wrong)
    Other than that - keep showing us your progress!
    Carpo
  16. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Thanks Paul,

The blue is done, and it is indeed a very deep indigo. But as i said before he is a vagrant and the colors are worned out.
    I'll post asap.

Marc