1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Video Review Roman Optio, a Young Miniatures 1/10 resin bust (YH1850)

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Stelios Demiras, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Stelios Demiras A Fixture

Greece
    This is an Open Box Video Review of the Roman Optio, a Young Miniatures 1/10 resin bust (YH1850). Click the YouTube link: http://bit.ly/2Db6hV3

For more info click on the website: www.young-miniatures.com
    More about painting miniatures in Mr Black Publications editions: www.mrblackpublications.com

Do not forget to subscribe to our channel for more reviews and videos!
    YOUNG_YH1850.jpg
    Perseas likes this.
  2. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    As usual the standard of sculpting and casting is excellent. My concern with this bust is the slight mismatch of equipment, especially as there are numerous reference books available regarding Roman military clothing, arms, armour and equipment. The greatest unknowns remain the probable colour of the legionaries' and centurions' tunics and the designs or insignia on shields.
    A transverse crest is thought to be indicative of a centurion, not an optio, who wore a 'fore and aft' crest.
    It makes a change to see an Imperial Italic (type D) helmet, late first century AD, rather than the usual Imperial Gallic.
    Segmental armour was also worn increasingly during the first century, although mail was widely worn amongst both Legionary as well as Auxillary troops.
    Phalerae were awarded for valour in the field, usually on a harness as shown. However I am unconvinced that a legionary with a full harness would still be an optio and not have been raised to the centurionate.

For the record centurions seem to have been the equivalent of modern field officers, the most junior commanding a century of 80 men and being the equivalent of a modern lieutenant or captain, through to the Primus Pilus, who was in effect the Legion's field commander and the equivalent of a colonel or possibly brigadier. Centurions' armour and helmets therefore varied from the simple through to the expensive and ornate.

Happy modelling,

Mike
    Red Five and Redcap like this.
  3. Redcap A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    As a piece of sculpting it is excellent but as an historical piece it is all over the place as Mike says above. A real shame as it could have been superb AND accurate with just a bit of effort and some research/consultation with someone who knows what they are talking about. There are plenty of Roman Army experts and enthusiasts out there amongst the hobby only too willing to help out companies to get these things right.

Gary
    Babelfish and Red Five like this.
  4. Red Five Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    It’s rare any Roman figures are correct as per the latest archaeology.

I’m glad i’m Not the only one that notices. Perhaps call him a Centurion. He’s s but more accurate then.

Andrew.
  5. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    I agree to all accuracy comments. Another aspect that makes me wonder is the leather harness of the phalerae worn on top of the lorica segmentata - this might result in serious difficulties to move or raise your arm while wearing these armour plates....
    Still a fantastic face sculpt and amazing paintwork overall but checking references would have helped to make this bust outstanding.
    Cheers, Martin
  6. Red Five Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Martin, Len Morgan of the Roman Mulitary Research Society wire his phalerae over his segmentata which he made from stainless steel to simulate a tin or silver plated armour.

Ignore the picture. He had Mail. He did have segmentata.

Andrew

Attached Files:

7. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    There were four principal types of body armour in Roman army;
    Muscled cuirass, usually metal but possibly leather, worn by senior officers including senior centurions;
    Lorica squamata - scale armour, i.e. metal scales sewn onto a fabric backing, mainly worn by standard bearers, musicians, centurions, cavalry troops, and even auxiliary infantry;
    Lorica segmentata - the 'classic' legionary armour of metal hoops and plates, rivetted hinges and leather ties; and
    Lorica hamata - mail - probably the most common throughout all periods of history until the late middle ages.

This bust would look a lot better if either the lorica segmentata was swapped for mail or the phalerae were removed and a fore & aft crest fitted. The latter is certainly within the scope of an experienced modeller, the former best left to the manufacturer.

Mike
  8. Major27 Member

Very interesting video! Thank You
  9. Major27 Member

And cool castings (y)
  10. Stelios Demiras A Fixture

Greece
    Dear friends
    Thank you for your nice words and comments. It is nice to see that a review of the Roman theme gets so many comments! More than my books:):). I know that the ancient themes are difficult in research but I am sure I can find a small issue in every single piece (historical) in kit form. Lately, I discovered missing details in a very well know piece sculpted by a very well-known sculptor...(Details in a personal message if you wish). But we are doing our hobby which is painting and displaying models (mostly figures). Ok some years before we had anatomy problems etc...but now the sculptings are awesome! So grab a kit and finished it! I remembered once I was building and Italeri Jagdpanzer and it was almost finished when Eduard released an updated set...What to do? The kit is still there. So do not bother a lot. Buy your lovely kit, clean it, prime it and get your brushes or airbrush and finished it. Then put it on your display cabinet!
    I am making this video reviews to bring you the parts of the kits in front of you so you can see by yourself the quality without any alternations (photoshop can make miracles these days in photos). And I am tired to see a lot of video reviews only in fantasy figures and kits. Support the companies that still produce Historical themes otherwise in a few years (considering the pirates also) there will be nothing to criticise...
    Just my thoughts after 40 years in the hobby...
    Tony Dawe and Babelfish like this.