1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Roman Centurion, 3rd Century AD 75 mm

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by igorkordyukov, Dec 11, 2017.

1. igorkordyukov A Fixture

Russian-Federation
    Hello, dear friends and colleagues! I present a photo of the Roman centurion for the Altores studio. Scale 75 mm
    centurion III 013.jpg

Attached Files:

Blind Pew, loosehead, Inaki and 14 others like this.
  2. Redcap A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Wow!....Welcome to the G.A !

Gary
  3. custer760 Well-Known Member

Love it....beautiful,Bravo....This will be mine.
    Regards
    Pete
  4. mortier A Fixture

Germany
    Fantastic work again from one of my favorite sculptors
  5. Borek A Fixture

Czech-Republic
    As I have written elsewhere, wonderful work and breathtaking results. Fantastic movement. Masterwork indeed !!! Bravo Igor!

Cheers Borek
  6. Red Five Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Good figure but the shield should be curved. I refer you to the Dura Europos oval and round shields which are aporoximately the same date as this figure.

No flat Roman shield has ever been found. Flat shields do not deflect a blow like a curved one. Representations in art are not reliable. Analysis of shield bosses have shown they fit on curved boards

Look at later medieval shields that we do have in museums and they are all curved including Norman Kite shields.

This is a pet hate of mine on Roman reconstructions.
    ASTRA likes this.
  7. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Beautifully posed and detailed. If I were in that situation, I suspect I would be holding my shield in front of me!

Mike
    Borek likes this.
  8. Borek A Fixture

Czech-Republic

Hi Mike

I think it would matter a lot to the situation, which is exactly what the soldier is in. If he stood against the active enemy, then you are right. On the other hand, if it's going to arrive to a wounded enemy, which no longer poses a threat, this pose would be real. By rotating the whole body and the hand with the shield he gains a greater swing and a greater force and dynamics of the stroke. At least I think ... :)

Cheers Borek