1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Roaming Knight

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Ernest, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Ernest A Fixture

Venezuela
    Hello
    I'm about to start this big project from Pegaso, The Roaming Knight 75mm, a mounted figure with a lot of parts and a very fun but complicated pice...
    As far I only attached the horse to the base, a very heavy horse, so you must use some metal pins and a lot of epoxy glue and magic sculpt to avoid any future fracture.
    I hope you enjoy this project
    regards
    ER

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    Dear Ernest i am really happy seeeing you painting this piece, as i plan to paint it also as one of my following . Best Regards

Costas
  3. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Ernesto, I'm sure you'll turn this one into a stunner as always!!

Ray ;)
  4. dimgall Active Member

Greece
    watching this closely .would love your version for sure!
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Ernesto,
    Knowing your work i can only say that i'm looking to the finish. It must be something special.

Marc
  6. ATTİLA the HUN Well-Known Member

Turkey
    Nice Figure choice, Ernest. I lıke it.
    I'll be follow your work............
  7. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Looking forward to seeing you paint this one Ernesto.

David
  8. Ernest A Fixture

Venezuela
    Hello to all :)
    I just starting to paint the horse head and neck, it's only the begining, I have to do more more blending and more tones, everything is painting with acrylics.
    The base color is a mix of Black + English Uniform + Dark Prussian Blue
    Lights with base + sunny skintone, next lights with english uniform + black + sunny skintone, next one with black + sunny skintone
    Shadows with Black + Dark Prussian blue..
    It's a hard job to do this with acrylics but I guess the final result could be very good, have to be patience :)

[IMG]
  9. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Ernesto,
    I believe even if you are a strict acrylic painter that a horse should be painted with oils. :D:DThe oils have some shine, or got get some shine that you always see on a real horse.
    But you mastered the acrylics very well;) and i hope you can bring some shine into the fur of the horse.

Marc
  10. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Excellent start Ernesto!
    I'm still doubting to paint a horse with oils or acrylics. So I will follow your progress closely.

Marcel.
  11. Ernest A Fixture

Venezuela
    Thanks for the comments :)
    At the end I decided to paint a base of acrylics and oils on the top, looks pretty cool I guess, I hope to post some pics later...
  12. mario Active Member

Brazil
    Fantastic Start Ernesto

This figure is really great

Mario
  13. Carlo Giovanni Member

Brazil
    I saw the Roaming Knight that Mario did and definitely is a masterpiece.

I am sure Ernesto will do for delight of us another masterpiece as others he did.

These are two guys that i like so much and i learn a lot seeing their works.
  14. Ernest A Fixture

Venezuela
    Hello guys and thanks for your comments :)
    I'm working on the horse with oils colors, is still wet, that's why the shinny look. is my first time with oils, so I don't know how to up speed the dry process, maybe with a 100watts bulb or something? will see...

The base mix oil are made with Ivory Black + French Ultramarine +Yellow Ochre, all over the acrylic base color..

Lights with Base + Titanium White. Next lights with French Ultramarine + Yellow Ochre + Titanium White and finaly just Titanium White

Shadows with Ivory Black + French Ultramarine

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  15. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Ernesto,
    You are doing great with the oils. As i mentioned before, don't let the horse dry matt. It looks unnatural.
    As you said, drying matt under a 100 W lightbulb is good. But don't do it. A horse has some gloss.

Marc
  16. Ernest A Fixture

Venezuela
    Hello Marc
    I like the gloss look on a horse, but not too glossy, I guess when the oil get complety dry will have a kind glossy look but less than how looks now...will see
  17. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    Ernest if you leave the oil to dry normally it will have a shine almost 50% of what is now . At least thats what happens to my horses that i alwasy paint with oil paints on acrylic bases .

One more thing . As my humble opinion using plain white for extreme lights might be too much since the horse is black and black color is only absorbing and not reflecting . To me the last light could be titanium white mixed with some French Ultramarine with more white titanium . And of course oil colors will loose almost 30% of their power when totally dry , so you will have to do some retouching over extreme lights and maybe deep shadows

Best regards

Costas
  18. Ernest A Fixture

Venezuela
    Hello Costas and thanks for your comments, thanks for told me about the shiny look, 50% less than now is much better.
    About the Titanium White I only use it for extreme highligts, just a bit of white, the horse looks more greywish tone than black, I like this tone color because the cape of the horseman will be Black to get some contrast between tha cape and the horse :)
  19. ATTİLA the HUN Well-Known Member

Turkey
    Ernest, Great progress on the nice figure. I lıke your colour combinations and harmony.
    I'll be follow your work.
    Regards from TURKEY.
  20. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Hello Ernesto

Beautiful horse:eek:
    I hope to see more developments.

Regards from Portugal
    Pedro