1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Roaming Knight Xv 75mm Pegaso

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Aveleira, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Hi modellers,

I started the paiting of this great figure, and striked the horse. It's the first time I paint one.
    I'm using only acrylics.... never used oils... I read much stuff saying that for large horses is best oils...but I never worked with that either.
    Well I'm going real slow, with carefull to avoid any mistakes... So far I'm satisfied with the result...
    Let's see what you think.

roamingknight14.jpg roamingknight15.jpg
    roamingknight16.jpg

For now I have Base tones in the hair, and body, Black and dark Brown.
    I am working on the highlights... I think that I may need to add some more light tones in certain places...
    Nothing done regarding shadows yet.

Regards
    Pedro
  2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Impressive start Pedro.
    Carl.(y)
  3. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Well Pedro if that is what you can do with Acrylics on a horse think what you could do with oils :)

Are you air brushing the horse ? it looks first class

Ron
  4. lmeekings New Member

England
    excellent start,well done.
  5. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
    Looking really good
  6. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Thank You Ron ;) Happy you liked it! No, it's all done with brush... I don't use airbrush.

Regards
    Pedro
  7. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Great start Pedro. It may sound odd but with horses, the hair is darker on the top of the body and gets lighter as you go down the body. You can start with a very dark brown on the top of the back, neck, head and hind quarters and get lighter as you work down the body with your lightest shade under the belly. Then add your black markings on the bottoms of the legs.

I've used only acrylics on all the horses I've done and been happy with the results... just use well thinned layers.

Keep up the good work

Colin
  8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Looking really good.

marc
  9. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Hi Colin,

Thank you for the comment! I really didn't know that thing about horses... I've seen some with that type of hair, but I thought it wasn't a rule for all.
    Well, I will have that in mind...
    Yes, the very thin layers are the trick ;)

Regards
  10. sarouman A Fixture

Greece
    Great start my friend!!!
    Well done!

Alexandros
  11. arxo Active Member

Greece
    :eek: I use acrylics too and never worked with oils and always wondered if one can paint a horse by using a brush and acrylic paint...now I know...excellent start and can't wait to see how you progress...(y)
  12. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Hi PF friends,

After a while I got back with some update photos of the paint job on the horse. I must say that now I am facing some difficulties. I have all the horse with the light brown, and I am struggling to get the muscle well defined and at the same time with a soft transition from shadow to light. But I think I will get there. Some higher lights are needed still. Also I need to harmonize the paint on all horse...
    The blacks are just based, so some transitions from brown to black are not done...
    Later I will paint some veins and make the ones that exist already to pop out.
    The head is untouched...I'm saving for the end....

Just tell me what you think and suggestions.

roamingknight17.jpg roamingknight18.jpg

Attached Files:

tiberius57 and ChaosCossack like this.
  13. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Allright mates,

I bring now a new set of pictures of the progress on the horse. Behind the obvious, I need to paint the horse hair (just base on pics) and the things that I don't know the name that are all over the horse have 2 colours I painted just to choose which one to go with... I think I will go with the red.
    I particularly like the result of the saddle, pretty happy how it turned out. I used a rather unprecised method...a very randomly way to paint. It's kind of how Ernest painted his (It has been a great inspiration his version of this kit) and looks like Diego Ruina doess his painting, besides that it has a real look of worned out material and dirty. I used lot's of washes, different colours: orange prussian blue, violet, light ocre, several browns; when not washed also with much water randomly spread around, tapping with the brush... an old one. I think that the tecnic is called pointilism...or something like that.

Pls comment, suggest, critique....

roamingknight20.jpg roamingknight21.jpg roamingknight22.jpg roamingknight23.jpg roamingknight24.jpg roamingknight25.jpg roamingknight26.jpg

Regards
    Pedro
    harrytheheid and ChaosCossack like this.
  14. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I sometimes wonder Pedro should the actual hair be painted on a horse !! if you stand a metre away from one on a dull day you cant see individual hairs at life scale .

This might cause an interesting debate :)

PS the saddle looks great
  15. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Thanks for the comment Ron. It's an interesting point... It's just that painting it gives it more enfasis...despite the nice detail that this one already has...
    But I already noticed an interesting thing about horse painting, some of the top painters don't paint like they do in cloth....don't make such a big contrast...it's less and more subtle lightning I think, in general horse body... maybe that is a point is common with your theory...
    Personally just looking to the black as it is looks nice. And in the legs I didn't make big lights on the black...just a little...don't know if it's enough...I would like your opinion too.

Regards
    Pedro
  16. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    I think the horse looks great! I agree that the highs and lows should be more subtle on a horse or it starts to look too "painted". If the sculpt is good, the actual light will create real shadows and highlights.

I have an old modelling book that describes the direction the hair on a horse grows. If you apply the paint in these directions (layer on layer on layer) the impression of hair can start to show. It probably works better with oils than acrylics, but it can't hurt to try. I'll see if I can scan the diagram and post it on this thread.

The horse furniture is also coming along very well.

Colin
  17. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Pedro my opinion for what its worth is the horse is absolutely fine and just the way I would paint it, if you put a lot of highlights on the black you will lose the effect .For horse painting I think ray Lamb was one of the best ,also Pierre Conrad
    Max Longhirst and Graham Bickerton also Steve Kirtly of SK Miniatures, some of these guys are of the 70's 80:s times
    excluding SK but all could do a great job on a horse.

Ron
  18. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Thank you Colin for the comment and modelling book ;) I agree with you on horse painting. Yes, the hair could be something nice to do. Specially cause this one has lot's of hair, which could mean that on the body it can be bigger than in some other horse breed...so it would look fine ;) I think that Ruina on the art box made that efect on the highlights.

Regards
    Pedro
  19. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Pedro
    Had another look at your horse.
    Just a little observation !
    the underbelly could be a bit lighter as the hair is thinner there and the skin tends to shine thru a bit ( not a Critique but a constructive obsevation)

Ron
  20. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Thanks Ron for the observation. Didn't know that... My idea was that it has less light...guess I was wrong.. I will take a look at it ;)

Regads
    Pedro