1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Resin suggestions for casting my own work

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by mash3d, Apr 11, 2017.

1. mash3d Member

Hi, before anyone shoots me I'm not a pirate. I know casting is a touchy subject in the figure world so I just wanted to make it clear what I'm doing. I'm looking to cast parts and figures I have made myself using a NSP Chvants hard clay or Monster clay. I've posted on this forum before but mostly in the Digis section.
    If no one wants to answer I completely understand.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for a good resin to use when casting parts?
    I'd like to find something that is easily sandable.
    Since I'm in the U.S. My main choices are products by Smooth-on or Silpak.
    I have used Smooth-Ons Smooth Cast 300 but it felt a bit to much like soft plastic to me and did not sand very cleanly.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Michael
    Fransab likes this.
  2. Indy Member

United-States
    Glenmark 36xxx slow resin.
  3. mash3d Member

Thanks for the answer.
    I also got some good suggestion from the prop makers on a role playing fandom forum.
  4. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    If you are in the U.S. the Smooth-On Co. offers just about anything you can think of regarding products for casting. They also offer hands on seminars that I have been to that I would highly recommend if you are serious. I think they also sell instructional video or dvd............Good luck.

Wayne
  5. Fantomas A Fixture

Canada
    Hello Michael,
    You should try this resin: http://hobbysilicone.com/
    I've tried a lot of different types of resin from many manufacturers and this one is simply the BEST.
    Regards,
    Alex