1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review Reedees Miniatures - Armature Army

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Richie, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi All,
    First off - what you get from Reedees Miniaures is not only top quality sculpted products but also top quality customer service. Steve's passion, skill and artistry is second to none and this comes across in abundance.
    I've lost count of the times people have not been able to source products and this top guy has made them happen. A credit to our hobby.

Now for the really good stuff.
    The first thing that really captured my attention was the title Armature Army a stoke of marketing genius. Followed by....what will yours become....? with a simple but clever pictogram. Well it could become what ever pose you want, it's only your imagination holding you back.

This first release of RM-AA24-01 in 1/24 scale (75mm) of the British valise equipment 1870's Zulu & 1st Boer War.
    Don't be put off by the title as this equipment could cover loads of other conflicts, including Sudan, Afganistan, New Zealand to name a few and with a bit more tinkering could cover a lot more. Just think outside the box and not just Zulu/Boer.

Steve with assistance from planet figures own Mike Good (and what a tour de force that partnership will be) have created something quite unique.

The armature set comes supplied in a robust blister pack.
    CIMG5279.JPG

What you get in the blister pack besides Steve's product sheet is a 75mm proportion sheet, an excellent concise method sheet with illustration written by Mike Good. Lengths of copper wire in 2 different gauges for joining the armatures pieces together. A 1/24 scale Martini Henry, 4 casting blocks containing all of the equipment and body parts.
    The 4 casting blocks have the following parts;

1. A pair of hands/palms (fingers to be added by yourself depending on the pose) and a pair of boots.
    2. Torso and 2 separate pelvic parts.
    3. Bayonet in the frog, Oliver Patern water bottle, 2 ammunition pouches and expense pouch.
    4. The head, bread bag (haversack) and P71 valise.

CIMG5282.JPG CIMG5283.JPG

The proportion sheet, is an aid for getting the dimensions correct.

CIMG5280.JPG

The full kit.

CIMG5281.JPG

In conclusion:
    This model concept should be right up everyone's street not only fans of the Zulu War period, superbly sculpted and cast and I would recommended this to anyone.

Even if like me, you could rough out the meat of the figure, I know sculpting heads and weapons are in a different league. But now that's all been taken away and we can all have a go at sculpting. Just supply your own putty, pose and imagination.(y) You can now compliment your other 1/24 figures and make those vignettes you always wanted to try.

Watch this space for more Armature Army releases in different scales and periods. Even if I wanted to tell you what's next, this chimp has his cat tied tightly in the bag.;)

Why not check out Steve's website https://sites.google.com/site/reedeesminiatures/

A very happy customer.

cheers
    Richie

2. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    nice!
    Great armature and equipment.
  3. Mark Dollery Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Great review again, Richie, Top gear from a Top bloke & company. :)
    Cannot wait for the larger armature & equipment to become available!
    Mark (y)
  4. Dennis Active Member

England
    Hi Richie, thanks for the great reveiw. If you are coming on Friday could you please bring this along to show us at the club? I know a good few of us including Harry will be very interested in this great product. Hope you had a great day at the White Rose.
    Thanks for posting mate.
    Dennis
  5. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Daniel, Mark & Dennis,
    Thanks for looking in lads and comments, this concept is just great and has perpetuity if thats the right word. Good job you reminded me Dennis, yes I will bring this along and a few others I have recently purchased for you all to have a look at.
    cheers
    Richie
  6. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Another excellent review Richie.
    Carl.(y)
  7. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Richie
    Got one of these a few weeks ago and have to say I agree with everything you say. what a great way to ceate your own figures and do that something diffireant. have started two figures already and must say it makes life that little bit better. and the service from steve was Great too. should have the finished figures for Sword and Lance with a bit of luck. lookingforward to more in that scale soon.

ian
  8. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Ian,
    Look forward to seeing what you have done at the S & L. I wanted to buy 1,500 of these so I could make Isandlwana but Steve would not make me 25,000 Zulu's, said I had to give others a chance, said he might do me 4,000 for Rorke's Drift though.:LOL:
    cheers
    Richie
    Helm and 1969 like this.
  9. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Richie a great review mate and looking forward to seeing the next one in this range.(y)

Cheers Ken
  10. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Richie thanks for the review, hope to have the second release in the series very soon now :)

Steve
  11. Helm A Fixture

England
    Is it a Zulu Steve ;) ?
  12. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Steve - I'll give you a clue, all you have to do is fill in the blanks, put in the spaces and re arrange.

*************************:LOL:
    Helm likes this.