1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

ready to give up!!

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by jim1215, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Alex A Fixture

Canada
    I think the best advice i can give you for painting eyes is this one : observe, observe, observe and continue to observe then paint what you... Eyes are like anything else... Just paint what you see. For example, look at your wife, your friend, your kid and ask them to take the same attitude as the figure you want to paint and just paint them..
  2. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I would like to suggest a method for what you see as a problem. Because I do painting demos at shows, lots of people ask me the same question and this is my usual answer. If you cannot get botheyes the same, change your thinking.
    1. If you are right handed paint the figures right eye first. Because you reaching across the nose and it's awkward, when you do the other eye it's easier to match. If you are left handed obviously reverse the technique.
    2. if that doesn't remove the issue remember with the exception of the most extreme poses, most castings can be painted looking, even if only slightly to one side. This means you can paint the whole eye socket in the iris colour and using whichever off-whit you wish paint in the whites.
    You can also paint very slightly under the iris and lift the glancing expression upwards.
    The larger the fiigure the more detail you can add but with 1/32nd scale and below it's not worth it till your confidence builds. Here are some piccies from 1/32nd scale up to 1/4 life size.
    Hope it helps mate it is supposed to be fun isn't it. View attachment 162323 02.jpg

Attached Files:

• 04.jpg
      04.jpg
      File size:
      10.2 KB
      Views:
    • 03.jpg
      03.jpg
      File size:
      11 KB
      Views:
    Eludia and theBaron like this.
  3. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Sorry you should have been offered this piccie too My avatar is a 1/4 scale face I did years ago here's a close up 01.jpg 01.jpg View attachment 162331
    Eludia, napoleonpeart and theBaron like this.
  4. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    That is a great idea, and I never would have thought of that! I will try it myself, too. I'm stuck on painting eyes on a 1/20 figure for Maschinen Krieger. I have messed up and had to wipe the face and start over three times. I will definitely try this.

Prost!
    Brad
  5. Graham A Fixture

England
    One thing I have realised, which helped me calm down, chill and have another go at figure painting is that I will not be good for a while (actually, that may be quite a while). The Sistine Chapel was not Michelangelo's first gig. It took time and skill but he still had to develop techniques to get where he did and he did that, like all artists, by keep redoing things until it looked right to him. X-ray technology has show that many great masters are full of corrections under the layers of paint below the final layer we see. I will never be an artist but I can really strip models and start again as good as anyone on here :)

Just keep going, it will come one day. There is no such thing as getting it wrong, only the opportunity to get it better.

Also, never be afraid to post your work because it may not be as good as others posted here. Everyone needed to learn and I doubt any member of this forum started out as good as they are now. I know my humble beginnings are below par but I will never get better unless I move forward. Maybe one day I will strip what I am happy with now to improve it but until I know I can improve it, I just move onto the next. Have faith.
  6. zane666 Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    I can't offer you any advice that hasn't all ready been said, all I can suggest is post one of your figures and give the many talented people on this site something to see and maybe someone might have the remedy that would best suit your style of painting,

Regards Zane -Anyway. what's wrong with popped eyes?:wideyed:
    clrsgt likes this.
  7. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    Zane beat me to it. My toughts exactly.
  8. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Brilliant idea absolute genius

From here on in, I'm only doing models of
    Jackie Coogan from the Addams Family and Marty Feldman
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  9. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    All helpful advice but I suspect it may be falling on deaf ears :(

OP was last online in March, I hope he didn't give up in the end.

Cheers,
    Billy
  10. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Yes billy I knew that before I opted to add to the threadf.
    Since then others have joined in this week too,
    Am I missing your point because you've also read it this week.
    I don't know how else to reply and am not being argumentative
    Is their a time after which we probably shouldn't reply to a thread?
    It's all pretty new to me this forum business it's a great interchange from positive people.
    I just thought what the heck he cankt be the only 'newbie' out there lookinf for help.
  11. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    No point to make, just an observation. All advice is good at any time, especially for noobs like me (y)

I just think it's sad if the OP has given up on the hobby :( Hopefully he hasn't and is just taking a break from the forum.

Cheers,
    Billy