1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Questions on the book "How to paint like the masters"

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by Chris Kelm, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Chris Kelm Active Member

United-States
    I have been painting figures seriously now for about 2 years in acrylics. A friend of mine told me of the book "How to paint like the masters" by professor Sheppard. He told me that this book is the best one to learn how to paint figures showing light as well as the different ways to paint skin tones,also it would help me with any questions I may have when paint flesh tones. So with this in mind I was thinking about buying this book,I don't know yet. I would like to get your opinions on this book.
    Thank you.
    Chris
  2. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I've had a glance at the book you mean and it bears no correlation to what we do as painters of miniatures.

Try to find 'Building & Painting Scale Figures' by Sheppard Paine, God rest him. Probably the best book around for those wanting to learn & improve after all these years.
    chailey likes this.
  3. samson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Agree with the above find the book mentioned .
  4. chailey Active Member

England
    Shep's book is probably still the best guide to figure painting that's been produced, however it is very much oil paint orientated, a point to bear in mind if you use acrylics.
    Bill Horans 'Masterclass' runs it a close second, but that has an enamel bias....
  5. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    The book you mention is truly a great one. But I agree it has limited utility for miniatures. It focuses on creating modern painting media that are as close as possible to the old masters. Lots of grisaille work. Each master's own particular style and method is replicated in a separate chapter. One of my favourite art books.
  6. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    One of the best books I've found about figure painting is The Art of the Flat Tin Figure by Mike Taylor. Like Shep's book it is very inspirational and also out of print, but if you find either of them bite the sellers arm off to get them :).
    Regards, Gary.
    PS Unless it is horrendously expensive, How to Paint Like the Masters will probably give you some useful insights in general.
    Eludia likes this.
  7. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Chris , may I ask what books you already have. ?? and what is your preferred scale. ??

Mark.
  8. Chris Kelm Active Member

United-States
    ok as soon as I get to my destination,I'm on the road now I can tell you what I have tubby nuts.
    chris
    Tubby-Nuts2 likes this.
  9. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Yeah, Shep Paine's book is good resource. However, many of the older books are focused on oils or enamels. These days acrylics are more popular (at least that's the impression I've got). A lot of the ideas on color, composition, shading/highlighting, etc still apply. But, the specifics on how to paint with acrylics, how to get blends, won't be in these books. So as Mark was getting at, what's your intended scale, type of paint, and subject matter?

There are also a lot of great resources online like video tutorials. Miniature Mentor is a good option, they are pay for videos, but high quality and covering a wide range of styles and subjects.
    http://miniaturementor.com/
    They don't update very often anymore, but what they've got there is still really useful.

Another good source for tutorials is Painting Buddha. They've got a nice multi-camera view so you can see the subject (figure), the palette, and the artist all at the same time. You can check out a number of their videos for free on youtube. The subjects tend to be fantasy and sci-fi, but the techniques can be applied to historical figures as well
    https://www.youtube.com/user/paintingbuddha
    Here is their main site where you can get a subscription to the rest of their stuff
    http://www.paintingbuddha.com/pages/academy
    b00gie and Eludia like this.
  10. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    ANY book is only useful up to a point. No book in the world (not even Shep Paine's) will magically transform you into a master painter after you turn the final page. The main way - nay, the only way - to improve is just practice, practice, trial & error and more practice. Most probably involving a few trashed figures along the way.

That said, I do like a good book and have a lot of them!

- Steve
    b00gie, pgarri27, Eludia and 2 others like this.
  11. Jimmy S Well-Known Member

Australia

One on evilbay at the moment....
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Art-o...904900?hash=item4d39c83904:g:sbcAAOSwHjNV8AXJ
    garyhiggins likes this.
  12. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    Another big part of the learning curve is : "I wonder what happens if I try this???????" But above all is ENJOY:):):).
    Eludia and Babelfish like this.
  13. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Usually followed by "ohshitohshitohshitohshit, quick get me a tissue/mop/plaster/bandage (delete as applicable)"
    Tubby-Nuts2 and garyhiggins like this.
  14. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    I can't see anything there that ever needs deleting :D:(:cry:.
    Eludia likes this.
  15. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Forgot to add /ambulance on the end ;)
    garyhiggins likes this.
  16. samson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Good stuff I still have a flat finger tip from a to Tom Daniels kit and Not listening to my grand father's advise.
  17. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    ;) Books are but a guide . .. For the most part they sound and look simple enough. However Billy, ( Eludia). Has it nailed. .. Find a technique that suits you,and work on it! .. failing is advancing in approach.(y)

Regards,

Mark.
  18. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Absolutely True , books are at best a guide ,some better than others . trial and error and picking up hints from other modellers or perhaps a painting seminar ; but there is only so much anyone can take in at one time .

Ron
    DEL likes this.
  19. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    That's a key point Ron's made. If you're serious about improving technique don't try to rush, concentrate on a particular element.
    For example if you want to improve your painting of leather surround yourself with references, SBS's. youtube, and most importantly look at the work of other artists and just ask them how they did it. When you've put all this into practice and developed a 'look' you're happy with move on to the next technique.
    The bottom line is there is a bottomless source of information but at the end of the day just get on with it and enjoy it.