1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Questions about spraying dull coats over Jo Sonja's paints

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by Chris Kelm, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Chris Kelm Active Member

United-States
    Hi again,
    like I said just a quick question. When using Jo Sonja's acrylic paints should I clear coat my figure? Also, once the paint has been dry for a couple of days, can you use a lacquer clear coat such as Testors, Model Master, or even Humbrol to seal it and give that dead flat look? The reason I'm asking is that I want to be able to handle it freely and to give my figure some oil washes as well.
    Thank you.
    Chris
  2. Soldaten6 Member

United-States
    Chris,
    I have sprayed Testors Dullcote from a can onto JS acrylics applied both with brush and with airbrush with no ill effects. I have also used oil washes on the JS acrylics both with and without the seal coat.

HTH

Bob
  3. Alex A Fixture

Canada
    Yes you can do it but you don't have to.
    Once acrylic paint is dry, you can handle your figure without any problem.
    I actually handle it less than a minute after putting paint on the surface (thin application).
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  4. Chris Kelm Active Member

United-States
    Alex,
    oh really! that fast for JS paints to cure. now as for wanting to weather my figure,would it be best to clear coat it if you wanted to use oils with it and then seal everything in place? Even lacquer clearcoat?
    chris
  5. Alex A Fixture

Canada
    Once the acrylic layer is dry, you can do whatever you want over it : oil paint, additional acrylic layer, etc.
    No need to seal anything
    Oil paint, once dry, is very resistant and does not need any kind of protection.
    Varnish can be used once all paint layers are dry to unify the sheen of the painting and as an additional protection against elements including dirt.
    On a canvas, varnish can be removed from the oil layer pretty easily and is done all the time without damaging the paint layer.
    HOwever, varnish will bond with the acrylic paint layer and you will never be able to remove the varnish without peeling off the paint layer.
    That's why I believe you should never varnish a great figure painted with acrylics.
  6. Chris Kelm Active Member

United-States
    Alex,
    Thank you for the great info.
    chris
  7. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Chris,

I agree with Alex.

One of the reasons I switched from Vallejo to Josonja acrylics about 8 years ago is that Josonja acrylics always dry dead flat. There's never been any need to apply a dull coat to remove shine, because there wasn't any.

I apply oil washes over acrylics using white spirits as the medium, and they have never affected the Josonja paint underneath. Once your Josonja paint is completely dry, you should be able to apply washes to your hearts content without any fear of ruining the acrylic underneath.

Another reason I don't apply Dullcote to figures and busts is that it creates an overall uniform level of flatness, which eliminates any subtle variations in texture and shine that you might want in skin or leather surfaces. In short, my advice would be NOT to use dullcote or any other form of spray lacquer on your figures.
    Nicolaos, Richie and Alex like this.