1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Question, how to paint (lantern) light effects

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by FlyingDutchman, Oct 30, 2017.

1. FlyingDutchman Active Member

Netherlands
    Hello everyone,

I'm going to start soon on a new 75mm figure from darkstar miniatures, witch is a "Dwelf" holding a latern.

Now it would be a nice effect to paint one side of his body and face lighter to create the ilussion of the lantern dropping light on him.

But I have no idea what so ever on how to achieve that effect.
    Any thoughts?

Thank you,
    Frans
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    It is not much done. So far I know D. Cartacci did one and last week somebody on PF who painted a Viking with this.
    Most at the time it is achieved by painting a yellow orange shine on the lantarn side.
    http://www.labottegadelcartacci.it/
    Marc
    John Bowery and FlyingDutchman like this.
  3. FlyingDutchman Active Member

Netherlands
    Thank you.
    I had a feeling it would be something like that, I've seen the Harold bust with the lighted bird tail, and i was wondering how it's done.
    Bit scary to airbrush (I presume it's done by ab) a yellow orange glow to a figure that is painted very well... lol
    I will take some practice rounds on a old bust until I have the effect I'm after. :)
  4. Trex Well-Known Member

You can see the viking here. ;)
    He is painted with fire reflection on one side of his face and moonlight on the other side.
    FlyingDutchman likes this.
  5. FlyingDutchman Active Member

Netherlands
    That is brilliant painting, thank you for the link. :)