1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

question about Falkland War British Para

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Johan, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    ... Just wondering : can I simply replace the head of this beautiful 120mm figure by Maurice Corry with a head with beret from a WWII Market Garden para also by Maurice Corry ? Would a para beret in 1982 be any different than a WWII para beret ?

thanks

Johan

Attached Files:

2. sd0324 PlanetFigure Supporter

I like the idea,should be suitable....but I am sure some fellas will show up soon who will know for sure.;)
  3. baronband Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi
    just be wary of the cap badge. the ww2 badge would have a kings crown and the modern badge the queens crown and they are a very different shape.

John
  4. Dennis Active Member

England
    Johan yes they are different, the berets worn by the Paras in the 80's were the same wonderfull colour as in WW2 however the styles had changed, I may be wrong but I believe that one of the reasons was that some members of the Parachute Regiment bought their berets from a shop called Victors in Aldershot (the Shot as it was called ). These were smaller than the issue beret, more like the privately purchased berets worn by Commisioned Officers as they had a leather band.
    Very soon soldiers like myself purchased Victors Berets in the normal line infantry dk blue colour.
    Some Paras also wore their berets with the regimental cap badge almost above their left ears and pulled well down on the forehead, not in the regulation manner; cap badge over the left eye and beret band two fingers width above the eyebrow. I am sorry I have no pictures for you but a very good source of reference is the Hornet Models website, as Roger Saunders produced a set of British heads with modern berets. If you like you could PM me with your e-mail address and I will scan some pics for you. Incidentally the styles and shaping of British Army berets could be a book on its own, from the Paras to the Tankies with their two way stretches to the Fusilier Regiments with their Regimantal Hackles etc
    Regards
    Dennis
  5. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    WW2 berets tended to be larger. I don't think the difference in crowns would be that noticeable in this scale.
    Carl.(y)

Attached Files:

• par1.jpg
      par1.jpg
      File size:
      10.7 KB
      Views:
    • 140.jpg
      140.jpg
      File size:
      4.2 KB
      Views:
  6. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Gentlemen, thank you very much !
    Seems that maybe it's not such a good idea to simply put on a WWII head on a Falklands figure ...:confused:

... Maybe I should simply order this one from Imperial Gallery in attachment if I want a Falklands Para with beret...

Attached Files:

7. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    It's a very nice figure.;)
    Carl.
  8. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    I think it's very attractive indeed, and it captures well the look of those British soldiers carrying a pack bigger than themselves that is so typical for the Falklands conflict :giggle:

... of course the man who painted this figure did a great job too !! ;)
  9. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    ... of course the man who painted this figure did a great job too !! ;)[/quote]
    Too kind Johan.;)
    Carl.(y)
  10. jimmyoc Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi, I would recommend a helmet as no one wore a beret till the very end, 3 Para never carried bergens on the walk across islands, we just carried fighting order, and at the end it was just 2 and 3 Para running from Longdon and Wireless Ridge without bergens. From landing to the cease fire Parachute Rgt wore helmets, and no bergens, as soon as the cease fire was announced it was berets on.
    Ps only people to carry a bergen would be a medic or radio op, photo is 2 Para Wireless ridge.
    As we were moving off side off the northern side of Longdon a message was passed back along the line to “Make safe your weapons” this was followed by “Helmets off berets on”
    117z.jpg
    Johan likes this.
  11. Helm A Fixture

England
    Jimmy is bang on although as a radio op I did wear my beret more than a helmet purely because it was easier and more comfortable.
    Steve
    Johan and jimmyoc like this.
  12. jimmyoc Active Member

United-Kingdom
    No Bergen carried,,

Attached Files:

• 139.jpg
      139.jpg
      File size:
      313 KB
      Views:
    • 140.jpg
      140.jpg
      File size:
      121.4 KB
      Views:
    Johan likes this.
  13. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Thank you for this valuable information, I appreciate ! (y) So I conclude that the Maurice Corry sculpt is bang on as it is. I think I'll purchase his latest 200mm Para as well.

So, you were there, in 1982 ? Please would you mind if I sent you a PM with questions about the Falklands ? If that is OK with you of course.
  14. jimmyoc Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Johan, no problem, please ask,
  15. Helm A Fixture

England
    Likewise Johan ask away
    Johan likes this.
  16. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Thanks !! I will ! (y)