1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Pvt 4th Middlesex Mons 1914 (tommy's War 54mm)

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ACCOUNT_DELETED, Aug 4, 2012.

1. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Image2.jpg Image4.jpg P1010080.JPG P1010081.JPG Image1.jpg
    First time I have tackled oils in years. He's not done yet but is a long way there. Still need to do his rifle, pack, tin cup, scabbard and entrenching tool handle as well as tidy the groundwork and base. These are wonderful little figures!

Colin
    phc35, Ventress, Edward and 15 others like this.
  2. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
  3. Dennis Active Member

England
    Well done Colin, a great tribute to an amazing little Army. I too portrayed him on the cobbled roads in that part of Europe. I once attended a lecture on the retreat from Mons by Richard Holmes and he stated that the road surfaces took a great toll on the men's feet. A great start, and as probably was said many times on that retreat keep going, as I look forward to seeing this wonderful model completed. Thanks for sharing.
    Dennis
  4. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
  5. Dennis Active Member

England
    Thanks Colin for that wonderful reminder of a great series. Richard Holmes was the Bn 2i/c at 2 Wessex a Territorial Regiment in Brock Barracks Reading, I was posted there as a Permanent Staff Instructor from the Regular Army, he later became the Commanding Officer, I believe when he retired he was senior Territorial Army officer in the British Army. Whilst I was there Richard Holmes was a lecturer in Military History at the RMA Sandhurst. He was a real gentleman who thought the ordinary British Tom was a very special being.
    Oh happy days
    Thanks for the great reminder
    Dennis
    crf likes this.
  6. Helm A Fixture

England
    Cracking job Colin the face in particular is really well done. Yes Richard is sadly missed I have all his books a really first class writer
  7. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Lovely work Colin.
    Carl.(y)
  8. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Just finished his excellent book "Tommy" which is one of the best intro works on the Great War I have read so far. I had no interest in the war until I recently found my Great Uncle's last letter from the Somme. Now I'm hooked.

Colin
  9. Helm A Fixture

England
    Redcoat is another great book
  10. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Just ordered Tommy and Soldiers: Army Lives and Loyalties from Redcoats to Dusty Warriors.
    Carl.(y)
  11. Helm A Fixture

England
    Soldiers is good but it's a posthumous finish and it shows, not in a bad way but you can sort of see the joins and fill in where the co authors have used his notes
  12. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Thanks.
    Carl.:whistle:
  13. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Looks great, Colin!!! Love it! (y)
    When finished, will be something special. Isn't it?
    Looking forward to see this in person. Hope to have this opportunity.
    Cheers,
    Zeno
  14. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks for the encouragement all. I actually learned some new stuff picking up the oils for the first time in almost 10 years. I like acrylics for cleanliness and convenience.

I have reclaimed a room in my house (due to a kid leaving home....4 more to go), so my wiife and I have a studio for our arts and hobbies. Amazing what the ability to leave your mess out overnight does to your productivity!

Colin
  15. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Looking forward to seeing the finished fig Colin, he looks great already. I need to make a start on the other Tommy's War figs I have when I get home on leave.
    I couldn't believe my luck when I bought Holmes' Tommy, it was signed by the man himself and had been put on the shelf in the bookshop following a signing.

Roger.
    crf likes this.
  16. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Colin
    Lovely work on this piece... the face looks great, I like the subtle fading of the colours on the uniform and kit.
    This is a great series of figures, great sculpts! I wish there was a Ross in 54mm then it would only take a few minor tweeks to make these Brits Canadian!

Job well done Brother!

Colin
  17. Helm A Fixture

England
    You mean like this ? https://sites.google.com/site/reedeesminiatures/gallery/1-32---54mm
  18. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Darren has announced that he will be doing a Ross rifle in the Tommy's range as well.

"I've had some great ideas for the range, I will of course introduce the long Lee Enfield fairly soon with the Naval Battalion figures (if I'm not giving too much away) and of course the Territorial regiments plus the Ross Rifle when the Canadians arrive on the Western Front! However, with the feedback I've got I am hoping to be able to provide a weapons pack later in the year so that they can interchange."

Not sure when but they will be great I am sure. Can't wait to see his 2 new Euro releases! I think I will be picking up everything that Tommy's produces.

Colin
  19. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
  20. Helm A Fixture

England
    Glad to hear,Steve does some great weapons even if they are all about 500 years too late for me :(