1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Pvt 19th Lancs. Fus. (3rd Salfords) Somme

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ACCOUNT_DELETED, Feb 23, 2013.

1. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Here is my completed tribute to my Great Uncle George Ingham (3 Platoon A Company 19th LF or 3rd Salford Pals), who survived his battalion's attack on the Leipzig Redoubt at Thiepval on the first day on the Somme, only to die of wounds received in a 3 AM attack 2 weeks later at Ovillers-la-Boiselle. I don't have a photo of George so this is a generic bust of a private of his platoon.

I converted it slightly adding the 3rd Salfords' shoulder flashes, shoulder titles on his epaulettes and by reshaping the mouth. I also removed the hair from his forehead to make him look younger. Young's excellent bust OOB is of a veteran regular of 1st LF. I wanted to make this version look like one of the young volunteer pals of Kitchener's army. My Great Uncle was only 19 when he died.

Img_3161.jpg Img_3160.jpg

Painted in acrylics and inks. I went for a rougher, less blended style than usual to reflect the wear and tear of trench warfare. No label on the base yet - that will come later.

Comments welcome.

Colin

b.jpg d.jpg f.jpg g.jpg h.jpg i.jpg
  2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Lovely finish Colin.
    A fitting tribute,
    Carl.(y)
    crf likes this.
  3. Tarracus A Fixture

I am glad to see this finished. You've done a great work here Colin.(y)(y)
    Gerard.
    crf likes this.
  4. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
    Very nicely done
    crf likes this.
  5. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Excellent work Colin and as Carl says a fitting tribute to your Gt. Uncle George.

Roger.
    crf likes this.
  6. Funky50 Guest

Absolutely love it.....really well painted and a nice tribute to a brave generation
    crf likes this.
  7. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    Great idea and great painting
    crf likes this.
  8. Helm A Fixture

England
    Really nice Colin an wonderful tribute to the fallen youth and especially your great uncle
    Steve
    crf and Funky50 like this.
  9. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Beautiful painted, Colin and a great tribute to your Great Uncle! (y) Hope to see it next weekend!
    Cheers,
    Zeno
    crf likes this.
  10. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Great tribute to your Uncle with this fabulous bust.

Marc
    crf likes this.
  11. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very nice Colin ,some good effects also

Ron
    crf likes this.
  12. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Colin,
    Excellent tribute to your great Uncle.
    Cheers
    John
    crf likes this.
  13. Steve Well-Known Member

United-States
    Beautiful! The spade effects are excellent.
    crf likes this.
  14. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Great tribute to your uncle and those who fight for a better world.
    Congratulations on this beautiful paint.

Pedro.
    crf likes this.
  15. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very nicely done - "Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori"
    Steve(y)
    crf likes this.
  16. Mark S Guest

Wonderful result, Colin. Beautifully painted.
    You've created an excellent tribute to your great uncle and one that will always remain as a family record of his service and sacrifice. Well done.
    crf likes this.
  17. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks to all. Nice to have the favourable comments and as you have noticed, this was a bit of an emotional piece for me. I did a blog documenting my tactical researches on George's time on the Somme from July 1 to 15 (previously posted in the lounge). I add the link here for completeness - http://3rdsalfords.blogspot.ca/2012/04/i-grew-up-knowing-that-my-maternal.html

The spade was undercoated with diluted black acrylic and then dry brushed with Vallejo silver. Once dry, I used Liquitex and Citadel inks - black, burnt umber, flesh and orange - to get the metal tone right. It seemed to work quite well.

The photos above were taken with an SLR and flash so the contrast is a little higher than reality. I figure that if a model looks OK in direct flash it passes the smell test. I will post some more subtle shots tomorrow once the batteries on my point and shoot with macro finish charging.

And finally - thanks to Young for providing me with an excellent canvas!

Thanks again for the generous feedback!

Colin
    pmfs likes this.
  18. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Colin,

Sorry for being late on this one , I have followed the WIP with interest and what a result you have produced , love all the variation in kharki , the spade is great and the fleshtones .....as others rightly said ...a fitting tribute to a very brave man and it has shared something of the immense pride you obviously feel for the man .

A pleasure to see finishd and to post on

Nap
    crf likes this.
  19. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Beautiful work Colin. You created another family heirloom.

Joe
    crf likes this.
  20. Ventress Well-Known Member

England
    Brilliant job and captures the period. Great tribute as well.
    crf likes this.