1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Prussian

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Metal Extremo, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Metal Extremo Well-Known Member

I began with my first painting comissioned. It's for a friend who paints too. Well, really he buys a lot a has a very big and full of quality grey army. Some times he said me to paint a miniatures for him, but i always refused. It's hard for me to give a painted mini, and only happened with three of them. But one day, some months ago we were at his flat, showing me two new busts, and made the proposition again. Choose the miniature, and paint it when you want, said. And i watched the Prussian army of 70 mm of the disappeared brand Elite. He showed me and its a beauty. Amazing white metal cast, superb sculpt, incredible box art... so i felt in love with it and came with me.

The principle was difficult. My daughter caught it while i was preparing to prime, and the mini felt down to the grow. The skewer of the helmet broken and deformed. Y couldn't repair it so i tried to sculpt it again. I'm very bad with putty.

Now i've got the face at 70-80%. Will be ended when hair and beard are painted. Trousers and jacket are with a session of airbrush, ready to continue with brush.

Some photos. Here the uniform is more or less as how is at home. Flesh is very grey here, not as really is painted. If i make photos with real flesh colour, the blue shows very light, and i can't correct to take a good photo of all

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

The face with the real colours

[IMG]
  2. ometz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Whatever problems encountered, you have done an exceptional job at restoration. Looks great.
  3. Metal Extremo Well-Known Member

I did what i could, that is not much Ometz. I'm a dumb with putty. Better with brushes and paints.

This weekend bad weather, and my wife working till late, so time to paint after children went to bed.
    Some pictures

Picture enough good about face colours. The rest of the miniatures had colours less clear

[IMG]

Pictures enough good about blues and greys. The face and the reds aren't as grey as here

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  4. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Thats taking shape very nicely. Lovely painting on his face. Look forward to seeing more.
  5. Mat Lambert A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very nice painting - good to see how you did the blues , the airbrush looks like a good technique to start with. Following progress with interest.
    Cheers
    Mat
  6. Metal Extremo Well-Known Member

Thanks for yourkind words. I hope put more photos today or tomorrow. I've got the hair done and binoculars' leather.

The airbrush is a great tool, and with big extensions like the jacket or trousers at 70mm allows a good degradate. In my opinion blues and reds are problematics colours for two reasons:
    1 - Can be easily burned with lights. So always begin with a base darker than what i want, and can give blue to the mix for lights, and for lighter a bit of white. In this blue, dark prussian blue+a bit of black was the base. Dark prussian blue and turquoise were added to the mix for light, and to finish a little of light blue.
    2 - I pain with acrilics, Vallejo and Andrea, and blues and reds use to satin. So i always put a little of matt varnish at the mix. There's a thread were a planeteer asks about matt varnish without shines. I use Ultra Matt Varnish, brand AK Interactive. After try with Vallejo, Miscroscale and some brands more, it's the only one that works ok for me. Previously i used flat base, brand Tamiya, but it's more confortable the varnish cause it dilute my mixes as the water, and has the same matt termination with bursh and airbursh
  7. Mat Lambert A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for the tip - I'll try and find the AK Matt varnish too.
    Cheers
    Mat
    Metal Extremo likes this.
  8. Metal Extremo Well-Known Member

A little step more.
    Helmet, hairs and binculars' leather

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG][/quote]
    came, ChaosCossack, arj and 4 others like this.
  9. Metal Extremo Well-Known Member

No time to paint.
    Only gloves and sword seath finished. The blade of the sword is not ended.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    ChaosCossack, arj, crf and 9 others like this.
  10. Perseas Well-Known Member

Greece
    Magnificent work! Excellent face and amazing blues!
    Congratulations!!!
  11. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
  12. Metal Extremo Well-Known Member

Thanks folk. Blues are easier since i have to not worry for brightness. The face has a wonderfull sculpt.
    Thank you mate.
  13. Alex M. Active Member

Canada
    Wow! This is quite impressive - the contrast you've achieved is fantastic!
  14. Jeff T A Fixture

Australia
    Excellent work Metal!

That is very nice.

Cheer's,
    Jeff.
  15. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi

I like this a lot ....love those blues and especially the sash is this done with NMM ?

Thanks for sharing

Nap
  16. Metal Extremo Well-Known Member

Thanks for the comments folks.

Alex, contrast was headache for me. Always thinking too much, too little... always with fear, till i understood one thing. It's just painting. If i put too much and i don't like, always can put a glaze to correct. Now it's all faster and funny. I like a lot of contrast in figures. From 28mm to 75mm the pieces allows a lot of contrast. Bigger scales not allow it. It's too much irreal.

Nap, i always paint metals with metallic pigments. The only thing i paint like no metal are gallons, that i think that being glod or plate thread must not have the brightness of metals, and mix the metallics with normal colors to matt them. The problem i find with NMM is that works or not depending of the point of view. So, with little surfaces goes ok, but with larges don't like me. Don't work for me.
    The sash is made with a coat of glossy black to begin, plate brand Kokolo before to all, and shades with Molikote Steel and black (i don't know if you know the brands. If you want photos, i can put here) Then some Kokolo againt to get it back the lights, and to end Oils for tones. Blue, burnt umber, ivory black, and one ochre. (I've got noted them somewhere. I can search the note if you want)
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  17. fermatgom A Fixture

Spain
    That's a matt blue!!;)
  18. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
  19. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Neat painting with a very good face.
    The blue jacket is very matt, and has the appearance of real cloth.
    You're turning this into a very impressive piece.

Cheers,
    Andrew
  20. Ferris A Fixture

Impressive work and great close-up pictures as well. Looking forward to the end result.

Cheers
    Adrian