1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Prosit Neujahr 1918 1/9th Scale Bust to Figure Conversion

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Dan Morton, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    This is my first conversion from a bust to a full figure and I've had so much fun with it I think it will not be the last. For details about the bust, see Nap's outstanding review of this kit posted earlier today.

Although the Stahlhelm in the kit is flawless, I thought it would be interesting to have him wear a covered Landwehr M1860 Tschako. By necessity, these Tschakos and later versions of them were worn throughout the war by Landwehr.

I had a somewhat different take on the winter coat. I think it is a sheepskin coat similar to the one shown in the photo below. That's why you'll see seams which look like they are almost random. Sheepskins have to be cut and pieced together to make such a large coat. The coat in the photo shows several seams where the pieces have been sewn together (on the inside of the coat).

The conversion process involves trying to meld two styles of sculpting and it presents some interesting problems to solve. Mr. Reid's sculpted fur and mine look entirely different, so I had to re-do and add to his sculpted fur to make them look consistent.

The height of the full figure was about 170mm from boot sole to top of head with about 6mm more added for the Tschako. It's a big figure!

Many thanks to my photographer friend, Patrick Student for beautiful, crisp clear photos! Many thanks to my fellow modeler friend, Charlie Duckworth for his suggestions, critique and support!

Looking forward to your comments and critique!

All the best,
    Dan

Attached Files:

BillW, Fokionas, Oda and 8 others like this.
  2. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Now this is well worth following ........ looking forward to the painted version (y)
    Cheers
    Derek
    Dan Morton and Oda like this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Dan .

What a great idea giving him the shako , going to look really good .

Looks like are you going him the over boots issued to sentries

Might I suggest the lower rifle sling is tighter due to the weight , possbly putting it under the fur cuff a little

Following with interest

Nap
    Dan Morton, Oda and Scotty like this.
  4. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Good suggestion, Nap! There are good and bad points to using lead foil to make rifle slings, I suppose. Thanks!

All the best,
    Dan
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  5. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Just a suggestion, Dan, try tracing the outline of where the sling will go, then file a groove through the fur with a needle file. This will give you a good "sit"and you can add a but of fur overlapping the sling for added effect, if needed(y)
    Dan Morton, Huw63 and napoleonpeart like this.
  6. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    "Just a suggestion, Dan, try tracing the outline of where the sling will go, then file a groove through the fur with a needle file. This will give you a good "sit"and you can add a but of fur overlapping the sling for added effect, if needed(y)"

I'll do that!!

All the best,
    Dan
    Huw63 and valiant like this.
  7. Huw63 A Fixture

Simply smashing.

Cheers

Huw
    Dan Morton likes this.
  8. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    Great figure; very different. Following with interest.
    Dan Morton and Oda like this.
  9. Oda A Fixture

Quite an undertaking and judging by the outcome ,a very succesful one too.

Oda.
    Dan Morton likes this.
  10. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thank you all for your generous and kind comments! Much appreciated!

All the best,
    Dan
  11. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Very pleased to announce that Derek Bell will be painting and doing ground work for the Landwehr. He hopes to have it finished in time for two model exhibitions in Europe and we're trying to work out other shows in 2017.

All the best,
    Dan
    Scotty likes this.