1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Private, 42nd Highlanders, 1815 - 54mm Original

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Anders Heintz, May 30, 2011.

1. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here is one of my latest sculpts. I havent posted much lately so thought I'd share this one. A few things has happened since my last WIP was posted. Most notably I've started using a mix of Magic Sculpt and Duro for the figures. I've always liked the sculpting properties of the mix but didn't much like mixing 4 components of putty, and not so fond of the carving capabilities once cured.

To battle the first issue the putty was 'pre mixed', the Resin part of the MS was mixed with the Yellow part of the Duro, and the Blue duro was mixed with the MS Hardener. Doing it this way the only extra mixing needed was to make the initial batch of the mix, then it is just a matter of mixing the two parts together, just like with pure Magic Sculpt.

The second problem was a bit harder to overcome. Even though the mix allows for some basic carving it is not as good as pure Magic Sculpt, the solution was really in finishing up the sculpting while the putty was soft, something which I need to get better at anyway. It took a bit of getting used to but this is my 5th sculpt with the mix and am liking it so far.

Anyhow...enough blabbering! The figure represents a private of the 42nd Highland Regiment at the battle of Quatre Bras 1815. The head is one from the Hornet range and the rifle is a Michel Roberts part.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Attached Files:

2. winston Active Member

France
    Very high level sculpt, I like this style of figure Anders!!!
  3. sarouman A Fixture

Greece
    Hello Anders!
    Amazing and wonderful scultping on the miniatures I think your work is art!

Alexandros
  4. Christosjager A Fixture

Greece
    Excellent work Anders, well done, I am looking forward for the painting process.
  5. homellop Active Member

Spain
    Hi Anders
    Great sculpt.
    You should cast it...I would paint it
    :D
    cheers
    jaume
  6. Diegoff A Fixture

Spain
    Very nice!
    I tried such a mix of epoxies years ago but didn't like it. I think it lacks the advantages of MS and/or Duro.
  7. Jeff Active Member

United-States
    Nice work Anders. I like his long face. If you like to carve and you know that you will want to carve an area to get sharper folds use less of the Duro. So that is harder and less springy, but not flakey like pure Magic Sculpt. I do that sometimes.
  8. sam b Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Great work Anders ! looking forward to seeing him painted up
    Sam
  9. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very nice sculpt, love the pose. Shame it was not a commercial piece I would by one. Looking foward to the painting on this one (y)

Cheers
    Tommi
  10. MBD Member

Spain
    Very Nice....Fine details and I particularly like the head...did you sculpt it or is commercial?

And as few members I would not mine to have a copy, paying of course!!....to paint..
  11. Mat Lambert A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Anders,
    This is a fantastic figure. The ostrich feather bonnet is very well done , the most convincing I've seen I think. Again your work never fails to inspire (and the wait was worth it !) . Looking forward to seeing the paint too.
    Cheers Mat
  12. Paul Kernan A Fixture

Canada
    Anders:

Having been able to see your work up close at shows (even better than the photos), I know you tend to do a lot of one off originals. But with pieces like this you really have to find someone to put them into production for us lesser mortals. Love it, mate.
  13. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Hi Anders,

This looks great! The pose looks really natural. This would be fun paint. I echo the other comments about getting this mass produced.

I look forward to seeing this one painted.
  14. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    Outstanding work sir.
  15. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Great work anders,my favourate subject 'waterloo' and i love highlanders,superb piece of sculpting and i like the pose as well,very well done (y)

Brian
  16. Einion Well-Known Member

Looks great Anders (y)

Is the mix more Kneadatite than MagicSculp? Just trying to judge from the colour.

Einion
  17. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Superb piece of work Anders!

Cheers,
    Marcel.
  18. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Anders,
    A really beautiful piece and very well done.
    Cheers
    John
  19. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks guys! Appreciate all the comments!

The mix is 50/50 Duro and Magic Sculpt. I know I can add more Magic Sculpt to the mix, but since I mixed the two hardeners and the two resins together it was just easier to go straight 50/50. Maybe next time I'll do 60% MS to 40% Duro and see how that is. I'll post the painting when I get there.

Got three days to Tulsa so plenty of time...!

Thanks again guys.
  20. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Incredible work Anders (y) you've certainly progressed well!