1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Precision Ice and Snow

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by kagemusha, Jan 16, 2016.

1. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I recently posted a link to an interesting product I happened across on You Tube, called 'Precision Ice and Snow'. Several members expressed an interest, and I promised I would report back on how it performs. Well, the kit arrived a few days ago, so I began thinking about a suitable test piece to use it on!. I had a project on the bench that I had been working on, and the more I looked at it, the more I began to see the possibilities of using it as a test bed for this product :)
    I thought it would be more interesting to do an SBS, rather than just post some pics of a finished piece, so here we go....again :rolleyes:

continues in next post
  2. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    As a quick introduction to the scene, my idea was to have a 'siege dreadnought' reporting back that he had found a disused way in to an enemy stronghold!
    I needed a suitable focal point/backdrop for the project, and was undecided on either a 'blast' door, or an 'outlet/drainage' tunnel. In the end I went for the 'outlet', as it had more interesting possibilities in it's construction. It is made from balsa wood, stone, cork, metal mesh and plastic rod, with resin bolts etc.

1a.jpg 1b.jpg

Continues in next post

Ron
    gforceman likes this.
  3. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I like the backdrop...a great model in itself, I am totally intrigued.

Paul.
  4. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    With the basic 'shell' complete, I went about adding more detail, and increasing the height.
    With this done, I set about putting some colour into the outlet itself.
    Once this was done, I then laid down the basic groundwork.

1c.jpg 2.jpg

continues in next post......
    Blind Pew and gforceman like this.
  5. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Glad you like it so far Paul :)

Regards

Ron
  6. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Because I want to test the 'snow' on as many different surfaces as possible, and from a variety of angles, I added a few hanging vines/roots, and a broken tree stump and a couple of broken branches.

3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg

continues in next post.......
    Wings5797, Blind Pew and gforceman like this.
  7. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Just to add a bit of variety, I then added a 'tank trap' in front of the outlet.

9.jpg 10.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg

I have kept the colours applied to a minimum, and used some rust and mould effects, as I would expect to find them in this kind of environment. I deliberately used the mould below the outlet as I want to see if the melted snow effect will allow it to show through!

to be continued.......

Ron
  8. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Now for the 'Snow'.....
    First off I covered the bench with a sheet of brown wrapping paper...and following the advice on the instructions...another sheet to gather the excess powder for return to the sieve for further use.

IMG_0572.JPG
    Armed with the powder/sieve and hairspray it was time to dive in.....
    I began with a coat of hairspray over the whole piece from directly above.....

13.jpg 14.jpg 15.jpg 16.jpg 17.jpg

After having shaken/brushed off the excess you are left with a 'frost' effect rather than snow.
    This can be a useful effect in it's own right ;)

to be continued......

Ron
    Wings5797, Tonton, gforceman and 7 others like this.
  9. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    That's an interesting effect you're achieving. You've certainly got my interest.
    Very nice backdrop and groundwork as well.

Cheers,
    Andrew
  10. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    :D, Intriguing. Clearly it is to be built up.

However, a 'Siege Dreadnought'. What is that? and in what scale?:(

Regards.

Mark.
  11. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks for comments Andrew (y)

Ron
  12. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  13. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Have now taken the number of layers up to 6....with a couple more on selected areas.

18.jpg 19.jpg 20.jpg 21.jpg 22.jpg 23.jpg 24.jpg

As you can hopefully see....there is real depth to the snow but...whether it was the hairspray I used...or the application...I couldn't get quite the same 'standing' effect on the hanging branches.
    I will now go back and try out some 'melted' effects.....

to be continued...............
  14. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This stuff may have some legs. I can feel a chill, but not yet cold. :D .. I look forward to the advancement.

Give me meat! :LOL:

Mark.
  15. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    :rolleyes:....seriously though....the translucency makes it a little difficult to capture the full effect....it looks much better in the 'cold' light of day :wideyed:....and it has a really natural 'sparkle' to it as a nice bonus (y)

Ron
  16. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Nifty piece of groundwork Ron....Yes,...The dept is there.Thanks for taking the time to share.......Wayne
  17. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    I love the groundwork on this Ron,very nice mate (y)
  18. mick3272 A Fixture

Hi Ron.
    You have done a first rate job so far looking forward to the end result.
    One thought would be interesting to see the finished project in say 6 mths time to see if it has yellowed or deteriorated in any way.

Mick
  19. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Wayne....glad you like it mate....difficult to truly appreciate the full effect from pictures....it really is translucent...with a natural sparkle (y)

Ron
  20. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hello Brian....I enjoy this sort of project....you can do it even with shaky hands!...in fact...when it comes to sprinkling the snow....it's an advantage :LOL:

Talk soon mate

Ron