1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review Polish Colonel from Siskin Miniatures

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Nap, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi to everyone ,

Companys come and go that is unfortunately the way things seem to be so it was with pleasure that I saw a post from a company from about 5 years ago ...the name ...

A.png

....under the guidance of a PF member namely Piotr Czyz .

Siskin are from Poland so its not unusual to see that the subjects they have and will release are mainly Polish based . We all know of the famed Winged Hussars whose tradition of military skill continued in other regiments of WW2.

Staying in the WW2 period we are looking at one of the latest from the company namely : an Officer from the Mounted Rifle Regiments .
    Siskins Polish Col 001.jpg

Rank was identified as seen in the picture 0000000.jpg

In addition to this a distinctive headdress was seen resembling the old lancer helmet but in cloth and lower called the rogatywka . 00a.jpg 1aa.jpg 0a.jpg 00aa.jpg 0aa.jpg 00aaa.jpg 0aaa.jpg 0aaaa.jpg

Units were identified by coloured bands and collar insignia in the case of the 7th it pennant shaped green on the top half , white on the bottom with a thin line of yellow between them.

Also very noticeable was the collar lace very distinctive , bravery was evident in all arms with the highest award being the order of the Virtuti Militari 1.jpg
    1a.JPG
    0000000000.jpg
    000000000.jpg
    00000000.jpg
    00aaaaa.jpg
    00aaaa.jpg

Continued in next post

Nap

Zastrow.cuirassier, NickM and offo like this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    On now to see what we have in the box :

Details are as follows:

Title: Polish Colonel 7 Regiment Rifle Mounted

Reference: Re-release Edition 10

Material: Gray Resin

No of pieces: 8 plus an insert

Sculptor: Piotr Czyz

Box Art: None at time of Review

The piece was received quickly and well packed in a strong box Siskins Polish Col 001.jpg , as this was for a review and the first cast no box art was available this has now been rectified (more later on this) . The parts were held nicely wrapped in a paper bag which was again surrounded in bubble wrap.

Parts consisted of the main torso and 2 heads plus the cap , 2 cap badges and 2 chest awards ( 1 spare of each) , no base is included.
    Siskins Polish Col 003.jpg
    Also included was an insert which was a painting guide , a nice idea to include and a good base start but I am sure that most will do research anyway !!!
    Siskins Polish Col 002.jpg
    Prep needed on the review item was the sanding of a casting remnant from the undersides of the torso , plus some flashing from the lower back , then the removal of 2 pieces from the inside of the cap ..be very careful doing this , in my opinion the head sits a little high into the collar area so I will be taking off about 3 - 4 mm on my chosen head, the badges are tiny and will need very clean cuts from the sprue and careful cutting away the flashing ..good idea to have a spare included . Once this is done you can then enjoy the very smooth surface of the actual sculpt.

Siskins Polish Col 004.jpg Siskins Polish Col 011.jpg
    Looking first at the Torso first , our subject wears the 36 version of his uniform , the surface is super smooth , with a belt being worn across his chest a la Sam Browne style , this is well defined running underneath the epaulette which has a slightly raised part to allow for the belt under it .
    Siskins Polish Col 006.jpg Siskins Polish Col 009.jpg Siskins Polish Col 010.jpg
    Pocket details are sharp and nicely worked with good undercuts , buttons are correctly profiled, the chest displays the medal for bravery ..this is a great piece of detail well sculpted and adds a nice bit of colour to the piece. Siskins Polish Col 007.jpg

You can if you wish add the chest decoration if you wish , it sits very close to the lower pocket edge (see insert picture)

The epaulettes are clearly sculpted to show the rank of Colonel , all 3 on each are good both in scale and shape...making painting easier Siskins Polish Col 013.jpg , the collar lace is what will really bring this piece to life and will repay careful painting ...it will be NMM for me!!!, the lace details are first class . Siskins Polish Col 008.jpg

Now to the Heads or should I say 1.75 heads , one being full, the other suitable reduced at the top for the cap to fit .....dry fitting of this showed no need for any filler ....sharp casting here .
    Siskins Polish Col 012.jpg Siskins Polish Col 014.jpg Siskins Polish Col 016.jpg Siskins Polish Col 017.jpg
    Both heads are the same in style , you could add a moustache to one if you wish , one thisng the features are very sift with no real facial lines ..this is something I believe that Piotr is tacking in the next release giving the face more character....its good to see him listening . Hair on both are finished off well with the ears being nicely done as well, our Colonel looks ahead slightly to the right , mouth together. Siskins Polish Col 015.jpg

Now to the Cap , this is what really pulls the piece together, the badge will need fitting the rank stars are evident on the front with ethe leather strap well worked , the piping on the top and band arounfd the middle is very tidy and very nicely sculpted and cast , the crown of the cap sits at a bit of an angle adding a little jauntiness to the head and look of the final piece.

Siskins Polish Col 018.jpg Siskins Polish Col 021.jpg Siskins Polish Col 020.jpg

The Badges are as I said tiny but the details are there , we are given a spare one which I like, careful painting of these will bring them to life . Siskins Polish Col 005.jpg

Final thoughts:

This is a good subject which is not seen often , generally well sculpted apart from the softness of the face. it will give an opportunity to convert to other types wearing the helmet make sure you get your references right though!!!!

A good release and its good to see Siskin releasing pieces again , I look forward to seeing more and sharing them with you all .

Why not have a look at the website at :

www.siskin-miniatures.com or pm him via PF

Thanks to Piotr for the Review piece and of course to you all for looking in

Finally lets enjoy the box art from Marcin ..great reference....

0.png 00000.png 0000.png 000.png

Nap
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys,

This was the reference that Piotr used

Nap

image.jpg
    Zastrow.cuirassier likes this.
  4. swralph A Fixture

Great review Kevin.
    Ralph.