1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Pit Stop Napoleonic style!

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Cannonball, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Cannonball A Fixture

Hi all. Just starting on the RDG miniatures diorama of the French Chasseur a cheval and farrier and thought I would post some pictures of progress so far. It's early days yet but so far I've concentrated on the building/groundwork part of the set. The building is a great piece in its own right and full of detail.

So far I've glued and pinned the wall to the base and the painting has been enamel basecoats with various washes of oils to try and bring out that worn look. I'm looking at adding some water to the trough but not sure how to go about it with the open end of the trough- I've got some resin(?) type ballons which I think need heating and then pouring into place but not sure what to use to produce the straight edge on the open end without it sticking. I'm hoping to also add a bit of greenery. There are one or two spots that need touching up and I may push the contrasts in the different brick/stones a bit further but as I say early days. IMG_2135.JPG IMG_2134.JPG IMG_2133.JPG
    Kevtk135, Edward, Tonton and 14 others like this.
  2. mick3272 A Fixture

Following this, Not my era or size but I do like this one.
    keep the pics coming
    Mick
    Oda and clrsgt like this.
  3. Cannonball A Fixture

Thanks Mick. Had a few napoleonics on my bench recently and love the colours but not sure my eyes will be up to dropping down to this scale!
    mick3272 likes this.
  4. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Following this I did like the set but thats another story.
    Excellent start and love anything Napoleonic.
    Oda and clrsgt like this.
  5. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    Great start on the vignette. I have this one as well. It will be my summer project, so I will be following this one with great interest. Any advice on attaching the two base pieces? I'm thinking of pinning and gluing the two pieces together then placing a wood plank the size of the wall to brace the whole thing up.
  6. phil_h A Fixture

United-States
    This is going to be amazing, really looking forward to seeing everything come together (y)
    Phil
    Oda likes this.
  7. Cannonball A Fixture

Many thanks Bob.
  8. Cannonball A Fixture

Hi clrsgt, thanks for the comments. As regards the wall I used two pieces of metal rod drilled into the base and superglue and it seems to be working ok. You may well find when dry fitting the two that some filling will still be needed, suppose its horses for courses as regards any extra support.
  9. Cannonball A Fixture

Many thanks for looking Phil, much appreciated.
  10. Oda A Fixture

I loved this vignette even from the first time it was presented by the company so I will follow this with great interest.You have definitely made a great start!Keep posting.

Oda.
  11. Cannonball A Fixture

Thank you Oda.
    Oda likes this.
  12. Cannonball A Fixture

I've now made a start on the figures and after laying down a base of enamels I've started with the oils. In my haste to move on I undercoated the trumpeter's colpack black, forgetting that it was going to end up white. I decided to leave the black undercoat and laid on a mix of titanium white and raw umber which I've started to highlight with pure white and may get lucky with the result. The oils still need to dry off but slowly things are starting to take shape. IMG_2145.JPG IMG_2146.JPG IMG_2148.JPG IMG_2149.JPG IMG_2151.JPG IMG_2152.JPG
    Oda and Viking Bob like this.