1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Piper Gordon Highlander WW 1

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by megroot, Sep 1, 2013.

1. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Finally, after five months I finished this awesome sculpt from Carl Reid.
    Getting the right Tartan whas a task, painting them whas the biggest challenge I've done. But there remains the question about the Tartan.
    For the cords between the drone's I find a different tartan then at the bagpipe. A email to the Gordon Highlanders brought me nothing. So I decided to paint the cords different then the bag as my reference pictures showed.
    This is the best I could get with the paint and brushes. Maybe more practising on painting straight line's will do, but there are more Tartan figures in my GA.
    As always the figure is painted with oilpaint on a underlayer of acrylic.
    Let me here what you guys think about this painted bust.
    gordon highlander 001 (Medium).jpg gordon highlander 002 (Medium).jpg gordon highlander 003 (Medium).jpg gordon highlander 004 (Medium).jpg

Marc
    KenBoyle, MCPWilk, Oda and 19 others like this.
  2. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Teeerific Marc. Very nice rendition of a great bust.

Colin
  3. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Crikey! ... that is really good!... I like everything about it!.. tones, colours, lovely work all round! ..(y)(y)!

Regards,

Mark
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Colin and Mark, you are to kind.

marc
  5. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Really good paintwork Marc, I like it. (y)

Roger.
    Oda likes this.
  6. Ventress Well-Known Member

England
    Magnificent!!
  7. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Marc,
    You have made a very good job of painting this figure, very well done Mate.
    If you are open to suggestion? The yellow lines on the bag you have painted in one shade. May I offer you an idea tha will make the tartan look more realistic.
    In reality the only place that you would see this bright yellow is where the lines cross over and this is seen as a tiny square. I you add a darker glaze or two over the yellow lines leaving only the crossover points as bright yellow this will look much better .
    Still a great piece Marc I like it a lot and hope that this will be of help to you,
    All the very best,
    Keith
    [IMG]
    Oda, clrsgt, Scotty and 1 other person like this.
  8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Keith I took your advice and made the changes. Looks much more as in your picture. Took a new picture but the difference is very hard to see. So you must take my word for it. Only the lightest point tomorrow.

Roger and Ventress thanks for the good comments.

marc
    Oda, Scotty and ACCOUNT_DELETED like this.
  9. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    WOW that was quick Marc. I am please you did it and hope that you are pleased with the result.
    All the best Marc.
    Speak soon,
    Keith
  10. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Marc,
    Wonderful finish to your project and I followed it with much interest. I like the two tartan idea and think it makes it different.
    Cheers
    John
  11. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Superb painting Marc, a great reward for 5 months of patience and perserverence. Certainly shows some growth and development in your painting technique.
  12. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Thanks John, hope you can do something with it.
    Tony, apreciate your comment very well. It's to kind.

Marc
  13. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Very nice Marc!!!!
  14. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Lovely painting, Marc, you really brought out the character in this bust.
    Cheers
  15. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Thanks Guys,
    You are all to kind in your comments.

marc
  16. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Finally got a email back from the Gordon Highlanders Museum.

Hello Marc
    Help for Tartan on bag, cords and ribbons
    With reference to your enquiry regarding tartan on pipe bags, ribbons and cords,
    Your first illustration does in fact show the correct regimental tartan for the pipe bag. The second illustration shows a part back view of a civilian piper whose ribbons are of the tartan worn by the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, as is his pipe banner. The third illustration of a ribbon connecting the pipe drones appears also to be non-military. Gordon Highlander ribbons are of normal regimental tartan i.e. Government tartan with a yellow stripe.
    Our WW1 photographs showing different battalions of the regiment all indicate ribbons on the pipes. Post WW2 pipe cords were sometimes worn and appear to have been either plain dark green twisted or dark green and yellow twisted, so far your bust pipe ribbons are appropriate. I hope this information is of use to you.

Yours sincerely

John Barber
    Research Volunteer

The Gordon Highlanders Museum is a charity run by a small team of staff and volunteers and although we are very happy to receive research enquiries, these can be very time consuming and a drain on our rather limited resources. We therefore always ask enquirers for a donation. To make your donation please send a cheque, made payable to “Gordon Highlanders Museum Support Fund”. Alternatively, you can make your donation by debit or credit card, either by calling the Museum office on 01224 311 200 or by visiting our ‘online shop’ at our website – www.gordonhighlanders.com. If you have any queries about using our secure website donation option please call the above number.

So the final verdict is: Paint the dronegords as the bagpipe.
    Did it last weekend...

Marc
    Oda and Scotty like this.
  17. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Very interesting Marc, thanks for the update.

Roger.
    Oda likes this.
  18. red tom Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Very good information. I wonder if this research volunteer is the John Barber behind Thistle Miniatures? If it is, how you doing John? it's a long time since I spoke to you in Manchester although I did see Mike in Darlington in April/best wishes
    Tom
  19. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Well done Marc. Nice all around work on this difficult peice.
  20. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Superb!

All the best,
    Dan