1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Pilgrims Protector

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by 1969, Jan 13, 2009.

1. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi all this is my latest sculpt that i have been doing for the last week,he will be gift for my son as he always shows an interest in my sculped figures.I have portrayed him as knight in the Hollyland watching over the Christian Pilgrims.Not sure of a colur sceme for him yet as i will decide that with my son as he will have to look at him daily.

Sculpted with Magicsculpt and milliput, scale is 120mm.

All comments and critique welcome,

Steve

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  2. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Steve,
    The overall build is very good,my only complaint is that the right leg looks a little too high as he leans slightly forward.If the knee was lowered it would look more natural.imho.
    Andy
  3. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Andy and i see what you are saying but the idea was to fit the figure to the rock and going by his proportions this is how he would fit to the shape of the rock i selected.The only way to lower the knee would be to reduce the length of the lower leg and that would put the proportions way out.

Thanks again mate

Steve
  4. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    Ok Steve, forget what I have said about your previous figures this one is my fave
  5. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Steve,

Wow, your son is very lucky. I hope he appreciates the skill and artistry that's gone into sculpting this magnificent piece. If he doesn't, I do (hint hint).

Nice to see a Crusader who's sitting down. All other Crusaders seem to spend their time standing around with their legs very far apart.
  6. Kevin D. Well-Known Member

United-States
    Very nice!

Question: what did you use for the eyes? ball bearings? And what size did you use? And, if I may ask, where did you get them?

I like the face and love the chain mail! The forearm leather protectors are a great touch!!

Best,

Kevin D.
  7. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Great work Steve,
    If your son wouldn't paint it, well, i would.

marc
  8. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    Great sculpting!!
    A wonderful figure.
    I can't be modeled, so I think your technology is wonderful.
  9. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    thanks everyone for the comments on the figure i will post more pictures when the painting starts which hopefully should be soon.

@Kevin...yes they are ball bearings for the eyes,i use them on all my sculpted heads now and they are exellent.

These are the sizes i use for different scales;

Scale / Bearing size

54mm = 1mm
    75mm = 1.5mm
    90mm = 2mm
    120mm = 2.5mm
    1/10 = 4mm

here is the link to the online shop i buy from http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/index.php?cPath=23

thanks

Steve
  10. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Steve this is a wonderful sculpture!
    You did a great job.
    Is it easier to sculpt bigger figures than smaller ones?

Regards,
    Marcel.
  11. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Marcel thankyou my friend,for me i find that 120mm is a comfortable scale for me and i find it easier than say 54mm,you have more room to work on and it is easier on the eyes.I started out sculpting in this scale so maybe that is why i like it so much,i think 90mm is a very nice scale to work on also.
    If you are say 2mm out on the proportions of a 120mm figure you may get away with it but the same 2mm on a 54mm figure will be very obvious.

All the best mate

Steve
  12. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Fantastic sculpting Steve, very well posed and nice detail work.

David
  13. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks David i was trying to do something different with the pose rather than the usual standing poses.

Steve