1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Phillip II of Macedon Bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Bailey, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    ----
    Updated 10-19 with new pictures (check page 2)
    ----

Here are a few work in progress pictures of my Phillip of Macedon bust. The model is from Alexandros miniatures and is a really neat sculpt. All the equipment on the figure is modeled after actual artifacts found in a tomb in Vergina. There is debate as to whether they were actually found in Phillip's tomb, but there seems to be consensus that the tomb belongs to Phillip's family (either Phillip himself or Alexander's half brother)... still, pretty accurate for modeling a man from 2,300 years ago.

I'm painting in acrylics and doing the figure in pieces. The head and arm are mostly finished as is the helmet except for the crest. I'm hoping to enter the figure in the Long Island Miniature Model Show, so any constructive criticism is welcome. Thanks! -David
    PhilipII_head.jpg
    PhilipII_helmet.jpg
    PhilipII_arm.jpg

You can also check out Sancho's WIP posting for a slightly different take on the figure.

Attached Files:

elgreco, Tommi, sarouman and 3 others like this.
  2. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    And, to share a little of my research, here are pictures showing the artifacts found in the tomb (and a coin of Phillip found somewhere else).

Damaged helmet and gold and iron armor (made to look like the traditional Greek linothorax)
    helmet.jpg armour.jpg

Quiver showing what could be a scene from the Trojan war and remains of a sword
    gorytos.jpg sword.jpg

Gold and ivory shield (the figures in the center may be Achilles and Penthesilea) and a picture of Phillip from a coin
    philipshieldakritasvf3.jpg philipor.jpg
    tonydawe likes this.
  3. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Very well done, the face is stunning.
    Carl.
  4. Christosjager A Fixture

Greece
    No critic David, excellent work so far.
  5. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Great painting. My only reservation is with his hair. The blonde on the base colour you have used makes it look a little greenish and too contrasty for my taste. Maybe its the photography or just me. Skin tones are superb and I love the subject.

Colin
  6. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Great face look forward to seeing him progress.
    Brian
  7. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Thank you everyone. Colin, I'll have to take a look when I get home. I used a brown for the base... so it could just be the camera. I'll give it a little more critical look in person and see. Thanks!
  8. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Looking great so far David, very natural skintones.

Cheers David
  9. Whitney Active Member

United-States
    Very nice work great skin tone to me
  10. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Very nice so far, I have always loved this kit. Cant wait to see where you go from here.
    Ben
  11. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    Terrific looking figure so far. Your painting style reminds me very much of Hardy Tempest's work. Any chance you got some tips from him?

Jim Patrick
  12. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Fabulous work so far.
    Waiting for your next posting.

marc
  13. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    Your painting has the likeness of a really great painter named Hardy Tempest. You should be very proud of this piece, it is a very impressive start and I look forward to completion.
  14. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Jim and Mike, thanks for the great compliment. No, I haven't received any tips from Hardy, though I'd be happy to get some. I'm mostly self taught and then what I've picked up from sites like PlanetFigure. Seeing the amazing work out there has inspired me to keep pushing myself. I'm glad the work is paying off. I just hope the rest of the figure lives up to the start.
  15. gioazz Active Member

Italy
    Great piece, and I second your painting style is similar to the one of Hardy Tempest, you are an amazing artist!
  16. sarouman A Fixture

Greece
    Amazing start my friend!!

Alexandros(y)
  17. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks to everyone again for the kind comments. It's been good encouragement to keep going. I finally began assembling this week. It's nice to see the piece start to look like an actual person and not just a disembodied head (though that would be fitting for Halloween).

I still have a lot of work to do on the shield and the bow/quiver. I'm also going to take the shirt/toga/whatever closer to a dirty white... I'm just waiting until I put on the other arm. In the meantime here's a quick update. Thanks for taking a look.

Philip04.jpg Philip01.jpg Philip03.jpg

-David

Attached Files:

18. meizi Active Member

China
    Hi Alexandros, such a great painting! Very well done. (y)
  19. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    He is really looking good. Nice work sir
  20. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Looking great so far David, the base is very nice who makes it.

Cheers David