1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Pete Morton's Northumbrian chieftain.

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Mark S, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Mark S Guest

Thanks very much, John. I enjoyed researching and indeed doing the knot.

Cheers Mike, thanks for the kind words, mate.
  2. Mark S Guest

Could I take this opportunity to recommend this book, many of you may already be aware of it but if you're not and you intend to use
    a Celtic design in on of your pieces this book shows you how to do many authentic designs step by step, from the simplest design to very detailed complex ones....including work from the Book of Kells and the Tara Brooch etc.
    ISBN 0-486-22923-8

[IMG]
    marco55, Mike - The Kiwi and NickM like this.
  3. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Superbly done.

Mike
    Mark S likes this.
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    Mark ,

A nice bit of work , really like the additions you have done really nice work on the cloak and the shield ...and of course the groundwork

A wonderful tribute to Pete's fine sculpting skills

Thanks for sharing

Nap
    Mark S likes this.
  5. Karlosfandango Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Wow, that is nice! I like everything about it but the shield and chain mail in particular stand out for me.
    I too would of fancied this figure, shame it's not around anymore. I've saved this pics to the phone for ref. thanks
    Karl.
    Mark S likes this.
  6. 11.jpg nice rendition mark, although the helmet should be a darkened colour, I worked with pete and dave gerret (fort royal) on this subject as I was the box art painter for fort royal and it was my idea to introduce them to the jorvik Viking centre along with some other people, they stayed with us for a few weeks until everything was authenticated as the 3 of us started a business venture off, the chainmail was real chain and the finer detail like in the helmet ect was all done in brass etch, of which I still have, somehow things turned sour and the figure ended up in the warriors range, 20 years on and theres still no Vikings to match the ones pete and dave sculpted, its sad to see that sculpters don't take that little bit of extra attention to use real chain, PS, I do have a painted version but if someone is willing to sell me another one then I will pay a good price for it, thank you TONY
    Mark S and napoleonpeart like this.
  7. maco61 A Fixture

Italy
    Superb paintwork Mark!
    I like very much the chainmail and the shield.
    Ciao by Maco
    Mark S likes this.
  8. Mark S Guest

Thanks for the encouraging comments everyone.
    It's been a while since I completed this one, but I'm glad to see up on the forum again.

Tony,Great to hear from you and to read about your first hand experience with this figure.The chain is remarkable and interesting to know it was made with real chain.
    When I was researching colours for this piece I assumed the dark colour on the original helment was because the metal was aged and tarnished.
    The Jorvik Viking centre has brightly polished metal reproductions of the helmet.
    But you've seen it so I'm sure you're right.
    I've been considering repainting some parts of this figure so I may include the helmet in that plan.
    Cheers Tony thanks for the input.......................I haven't seen one of these figures for sale for a long time, so I can't help you there.

CoppergateHelmet1.jpg jorvik4.jpg
    Mike S. likes this.
  9. cadno Member

United-States
    gents,the figure the thread about is painted to a high standard ,the casting was sculpted buy my friend pete morton. alas not with us mortals any more ,i remember pete showing me many scales of links many years ago ,approx 20 perhaps from victorian ladies purses to butchers gloves,but this boy was years ahead,he was always looking for alternatives to make sculpting easier . It,s a shame that now he,s passed on he wont get to like the plaudits from his sculpting work.
    Pete god bless mate ,hope there,s milliput up there.
    thanks tony
    Mark S likes this.
  10. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Very nice work mark on a great piece if work,congratulations
    Mark S likes this.
  11. alamac Well-Known Member

Australia
    Beautifully done Mark , congratulations ,
    Cheers
    Al
    Mark S likes this.
  12. Mark S Guest

Thanks so much for your encouraging comment Brian and Alan.....cheers.
  13. Snowy Member

Australia
    Very nice indeed. Love that chainmail.
    Mark S likes this.
  14. Mark S Guest

Thanks Snowy, glad you like it mate!
  15. swralph A Fixture

Lovely painting on this,love the shield.
    Mark S likes this.
  16. Ray Mootsey Active Member

United-States
    Hello all, do you remember this lovely piece, I am going to make this one my next project, Peter was a great inspiration to me . this one is going to be built in his memory. Ray
  17. Mark S Guest

Looking forward to seeing your version of this one Ray.
  18. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Beautifully painted and converted- I've been looking for an (affordable) one of these for some time. Pete may have used the chain mail off one of the Dragon 1/6 figures - he certainly did on a later (unreleased) figure. Scale chain mail can also be found on ladies' purses from the 1920's (e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/White-Met...011808?hash=item41a29c1360:g:iJgAAOSwwPhWip5B) and which I will be using on a 200mm Roman later this year. As regards the Saxon/Viking bust, I did a conversion of this (http://www.militarymodelling.com/albums/member_album.asp?a=20091) for Ian Hanratty at Friendship Models, but it has yet to see the light of day.

Best wishes,

Mike
  19. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I'd completely forgotten about this one, but I see that I 'liked' it when the thread was started in 2013. It's all good, but the freehand work on the shield is sublime.

What scale is this Mark?

- Steve
  20. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    If it aint broken don't fix it!

- Steve