1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Pete Morton's Northumbrian chieftain.

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Mark S, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Mark S Guest

After hearing the shocking news of Pete Morton's sudden passing I decided to paint his Northumbrian Chieftain figure which has some of the best sculpted chain mail I've ever seen on a figure.
    It's practically finished except for some work on the cloak lining and his nose guard is not on yet.
    The only changes I made are a smaller shield and I changed the weapon from a sword to an axe.

DSC_0041.JPG DSC_0043.JPG
    MCPWilk, samson, arj and 30 others like this.
  2. sd0324 PlanetFigure Supporter

Nicely done,....I like all of this.
    Steve and Mark S like this.
  3. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Very tidy paint work. You are right about his chain mail and the shield design is awesome.

Colin
    Mark S likes this.
  4. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Very impressive Mark. Great chain mail and I like the shield design and the addition of the battle axe.

Kudos for trying a plaid pattern on the cloak too - that couldn't have been easy to paint.

Just needs some Creme of Tartar around the base!!:whistle:
    Mark S likes this.
  5. Ray Mootsey Active Member

United-States
    Hello All, I love this figure, is it in production by anyone. I really am interested in this period. Ray
    Mark S likes this.
  6. tomifune A Fixture

United-States
    Very nice, Mark. I have never seen this figure so thanks for bringing it out. A nice testament to Pete's abilities and yours.

Bob
    Mark S likes this.
  7. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Superb painting, Mark. The chain mail and motif on his shield are great. It's a small detail, but I love the Celtic knot running around his tunic lining too.

I am sure Pete Morton would have been chuffed to see his figure painted to such a high standard. Lovely job, mate.
    John Bowery and Mark S like this.
  8. Mark S Guest

Thanks for your encouraging comments everyone.

Tony, the base is of course made from Cream of Tartar as is 100% of my figure bases...this one has sawdust and pumice stone added.
    The leaves are real leaves from a local native plant called Bossiaea rhombifolia that grows close to where I live...these particular leaves have been dried for five years now.
    Some Rex grass tufts and multi coloured horse hair "grass" and some locally obtained dried lichens complete the base.

Ray, the figure was produced by the Warriors brand but I don't think it's still in production.However some occasionally come up for sale.

Thanks everyone.
  9. Ray Mootsey Active Member

United-States
    Hello Mark, I did not recognize this as the Warriors 200mm figure, I have one in my stash. I really like the little changes you have made,Great work. Ray
  10. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This looks nice Mark
    Great metals and the work on the shield is Special

Ron
    Mark S likes this.
  11. Tarracus A Fixture

Geat work MArk! I particulary love that shield pattern.(y)
    Mark S likes this.
  12. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Mark,
    Lovely work, all the metals look great and your freehand shield and design is awesome.
    cheers
    Richie
    Mark S likes this.
  13. Helm A Fixture

England
    Jeez if anybody has one of these they don't want I'm your man it's a cracker and a fantastic paint job Mark (y)

Steve
    Mark S likes this.
  14. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    Very inspiring, and you are right about the chain mail. I am converting one to be my version of Uther Pendragon with a Romanesqe Draco standard and late Roman ridged helmet, and every time I look at it, I am amazed they didn't rip the molds apart getting the chainmail out of them. Love the addition of the axe as well.
    Cheers
    Jason
    Mark S likes this.
  15. balder PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    I have one of these in my stash too. You've done a very fine job on this figure, Mark.

Gerald
    Mark S likes this.
  16. Mark S Guest

Thanks for looking in and commenting guys, I appreciate them all.....cheers!!
  17. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Excellent work Mark.
    Like the shield, and metals very much.
    It's a great tribute to Pete.
    Marc
    Mark S likes this.
  18. Mark S Guest

Thanks Marc,
    I'm glad you like it, mate......cheers.
  19. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Very nicely done and great metals. I almost missed the knot, weel done.
    Cheers
    John
    Mark S likes this.
  20. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    really nice work and tribute, well done on both fronts sir.
    Mark S likes this.