1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Pegaso Rissalder Major 1st Skinner Horse

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Patrick Kamsma, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Patrick Kamsma Active Member

Netherlands
    Hello all,

Finally finished this 75mm gem from Pegaso.
    It was a big challenge and, not completely satisfied with the endresult, I learned a lot.
    Especially what not to do :)

I have you have some comments. Please post them.
    It's all about the learning process.

Thnx for looking.

Grtz
    Patrick

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. debrito A Fixture

Canada
    The painting is looking good to me, but the photography can be improved

Regards
  3. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Hi,

The figure is not that bad, I think you did a nice job on the yellows and the face. I think where you need to improve is the work of the metals, keep searching works here in PF and you'll learn a lot. A fast tip to that is to use a wash of black in the metals, very simple and it will look better. Or with more work and better results, make several degrees of lights and shadows painting metals, just like you did painting the rest of the figure.
    I would also try to work more around the whites of the gloves and the trousers, specially add more shadows. White isn't easy but you will get there and the andrea white paint set is a great help.
    The blacks are nice, I don't know if I would touch more in them.
    Oh and another tip to golden braid, don't use gold paint to that strait out of the bottle, it will feel like real metal. I had to learn not long ago how to do goldbraid and fortunatly I saw a thread here and it makes the difference. Take a look: http://www.planetfigure.com/threads/emmanuel-de-grouchy.46087/ Down in the comments the author of the work explains how he does the goldbraid and it works and is a beautifull result.

Hope it helps ;)

Regards
    Pedro
  4. gendegaia Active Member

Chile
    photography some times does not help enough, it seems to me you did a great work, I like yellow tones , Keep working and improving your skills, that is the secret in painting miniatures. (y) best regards. Orlando.
  5. Ferris A Fixture

Hi Patrick,

Great job. I particularly like the smooth transitions in the face, the turban which is perfect and the yellow. I think you achieved a vibrant colour without it being too 'screaming', if you know what I mean.
    You could notch up the contrast a little little bit (except in the yellow, that looks just right to me), although I do like the subtlety and cleanliness of the overall paintjob.

Adrian
  6. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    Nice work with the yellows Patrick, for me it's one of the harder colours to paint.
    Your painting has come along nicely mate. I can see a lot of those tips from FeR coming out in that figure, especially the face.

Andrew.
  7. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looks good Patrick, Yellow ain't an easy one to work (y)

Ron
  8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Ziet er geweldig uit. Dit is wat je noemt een figuur om je grenzen te verleggen. De tulband is erg goed.
    De sash kon je echter nog heel wat strakker zetten, vnml aan de boven en onderkant ervan.
    Ik vind dat het een goed geschilderd figuur is en ga hem zeker in Eindhoven bekijken.

marc
  9. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Looks great to me... I agree with most of the above comments. If I had to note one thing, the transitions on the face are very good, however, a cavalryman (be he native or white) campaigning in India would be of a darker skintone. Either the dark tones of an Indian or the deep tan of an Englishman in the elements