1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Pegaso 54mm Confederate Infantryman

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by billyturnip, May 9, 2007.

1. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    I've just completed this figure, my first ACW subject and erm, don't tell my wife but it has led to a bit of a spending spree. A 100mm M. Roberts figure and several ACW books. I just need to get the door when they are delivered before she does.

Roger

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Oh oh...somebody's in trouble! [other than me!]

The Confederate looks great! I really like that mournful and tired, almost beaten look on his face. And the home-made patchwork blanket bedroll is terrific! One suggestion, Rog, I would lighten the photos a little with Photoshop or something.

All the best,
    Dan
  3. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Only if I get caught!

Cheers Dan, glad you like him. I took the photo's earlier today and these are after I lightened them. Maybe I shold have done a touch more. I've lightened them some more, they should be better now.

Roger
  4. petit belge New Member

Belgium
    Like this one also. Photographic tip: hold a white sheet of paper, plastic ore whatever what you find what is white in the dark side. Against the other side of the source of light. Experiment with the distance of te white board. Take a picture and you will see the difference. I like the way you painted the rocks.
    Maybe add some dust to the boots and dress?
  5. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Roger,
    Thanks for the photographic tip, I'll give it a try.
    I'll also also have a look at adding some dust to the boots and trousers. Funny how I haven't already I usually do that:confused:.

Roger
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Roger,
    I think you painted the figure better then you made the picture's. Because of that i find the colors all to flat. There is no contrast in it, w.a.w. there is not enough shade and high.
    But again, in my opinion it is the picture. So, if you be able to take some pictures again, ill make some positive comment.

Marc
  7. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Marc, I thnk by using my photo software to lighten the photo's a lot of the contrasting shades were lost.
    I'll try and take some better photo's and replace these tomorrow.
    Thanks for looking though and taking the time to comment.

Roger
  8. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Maybe this one is better, until I take some more.

[IMG]
  9. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Hopefully better pics.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  10. flart1943 Active Member

England
    Great

Hi Roger
    Great figure and paint-job. I see you have moved to ACW, a change is as good as a rest. Still you will soon be back to the Great War, no doubt, when Dan’s figures arrive.
    Pete
    PS when new figures arrive at our house I tell my wife I have won them in a raffle. She thinks I am very lucky.
  11. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Cheers Pete. Do you think she believes you. I don't think mine would.
    The ACW has really caught my interest, there's a couple of other periods of history I'm looking at but haven't taken the plunge with figures yet.
    GFM August von Mackensen is on my bench at the moment. WW1 will always be my main interest I think.

Roger
  12. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Roger - Much better pictures!!!

All the best,
    Dan
  13. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    Hi Roger

I can´t see the first photos, but the last ones are good. I have the same problems with my photos. The painting looks pretty good and I like the dirty look of the figure

Ulrich
  14. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Thank you Ulrich.

Roger
  15. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Roger,
    This is much better.Yes there is enough contrast. He is looking dirty enough.
    Good work.

marc
  16. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Thanks Marc. I'm glad you can see the figure better now. I must admit the photo's looked ok on my screen so thanks for pointing that out.
    I'm painting GFM von Mackensen in parade uniform at the moment so no dirt & mud:p

Roger
  17. petermh Active Member

United-Kingdom
    roger
    An excellent interpretation of this figure,he looks suitably battleworn,just one small criticism the ram rod doesn't reach the rifle barrel and its too short to be entirely clear of it.
    I don't know which books you've bought but the best ones I've found on ACW uniforms are those by Don Troiani The're available in the UK a bit pricey but worth it and you might get them cheap on the net
  18. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Peter, thank you. The ramrod, yes, I had a terrible job trying to get it to line up with the barrel of the musket. The plan is to get a suitable piece of wire and glue it to the upper part of the figures hand.
    I have bought the Troiani book Regiments & Uniforms of the Civil War. As you suggested I got it at a reasonable price from abebooks. I've also ordered the three volumes of Shelby Foote's history of the war, also from abebooks. I might have to be content with some cheaper Osprey books in the near future I think.

Roger
  19. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Love the bed roll Roger! Nice work!

Jay H.
    OKC
  20. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Cheers Jay. I originally painted it brown but succumbed to pressure from my wife and painted it as per the box and only then because it resembles one portayed in a Troiani painting.

Roger