1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP "Papers, Sir ?" (Newspaper Boy 1914)

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by yeo_64, Dec 5, 2009.

1. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Hi guys !
    Firstly, thanks to Dan Morton for posting such great photos on the "planet" that inspires one to create vignettes from them. The inspiration for my latest project stems from this evocative photo that he had posted earlier (see attached link to the pF page) Well, a few hours with my spares produced this sculpted, scratch-built 54mm figure. The pigeons are from Historex and I've yet to start on the groundwork proper. Thanks for looking and I'll try to add more updates soon. Cheers !
    Kenneth :p.

Attached Files:

Jim Patrick and gordy like this.
  2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    When Dan posted the original photos, I hoped someone would have a go. You have done a brilliant job so far.
    Carl.
  3. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Cheers, Kenneth! I'm very pleased to see this little guy! Don't mean to quibble, but since it is WIP, should his cheeks be broader and the chin a bit shorter? I'm not saying you have to go for the child's age of maybe five or six in the photo and if you aren't no problem, it's still gonna look great! But if you are trying for something of a likeness...

All the best,
    Dan
  4. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Kenneth,
    Really neat.
    Cheers,
    John
  5. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Thanks, Carl !

Hey Carl,
    Thanks ! I really appreciate the compliment :). Cheers !
    Kenneth.
  6. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Thanks, Dan !

Hi Dan !
    Thanks, my friend; I'm glad you like it :cool:. No, I actually just took the concept of the photograph and worked off that (didn't intend for a close likeness-too sad looking :(). I figured the "child" to be about 8-9 years old and really had a hard life so far selling newspapers; hence the "thinner" look to the face. Cheers !
    Kenneth.
  7. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Thanks, John !

Hi John,
    Thanks for the encouragement (y). Cheers !
    Kenneth.
  8. Ray Active Member

United-States
    Kenneth,
    Very nice figure and subject, much my own preference over the usual military stuff. Hope you don't mind my sharing the following photos in your thread, just thinking they might interest you some.

These are a pair of house sparrows in 1/32nd scale. I had meant to show you a couple of pigeons I made and painted but the pictures have disappeared from my computer so these are in their place until I can either locate of take new of the pigeons.

Ray

Attached Files:

9. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Thanks, Ray !

Hi Ray !
    Thanks for the encouragement :). No, I don't mind at all ;), Ray. I think they look fantastic ! Did you sculpt them yourself ? I wouldn't mind a set myself if they are available commercially (hint,hint) :cool:. Looking forward to photos of your pigeons if you can find them or take new ones. Cheers !
    Kenneth.
  10. Ray Active Member

United-States
    Ken,
    Send me a PM and we can make arrangements to get some bird castings to you.

Oh, and yes I did sculpt them in a moment of insanity. I even thought they were fun at the time, but looking at them now I think they are way too tiny to want to do more.

Ray
  11. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    I must be an old softy; Nostalgia always gets me. . .

Hi Ken:

Wow, you're off to a very good start. I would think next to sculpting a woman
    that children of that pre-teen age group would be very hard to sculpt and
    get it right. It's a fantastic photograph of course, and brings back memories
    for this old timer who actually does remember paper boys 'hawking'
    newspapers on corners of busy downtown Kansas City Streets during WWII.

I see nostalgia type of vignettes as a good way to tap into the viewers
    more sensitive side. A great idea and you're off and running in the right
    direction. (y) (y) (y) Have fun with it. :)

Old timer Jayhawk
  12. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Looks good Kenneth! Neat subject too.
  13. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    PM Sent, Ray.

Hi Ray !
    Thanks for the offer, my friend. A PM has been sent to you. Looking forward to receiving the castings. Cheers !
    Kenneth :).
  14. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Thanks, Rick.

Hi Rick !
    Thank you very much, my friend; I really glad that you like my efforts so far :D. Yes, the photo did evoke a similar reaction from me too even though we didn't have such things in Singapore then ;). I'll try to do the vignette some justice just for you, Rick. Cheers !
    Kenneth :cool:.
  15. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Thanks, Jason !

Jason, my friend !
    Thank you very much; I really appreciate the encouragement (y). Cheers !
    Kenneth :D.
  16. Ray Active Member

United-States
    Kenneth,
    It may be I'll be borrowing your and Dan's idea for something of my own. The little paper boy is really very appealing, wish I had seen Dan's earlier post so I might have made a start on one already. Being hungry I think I'll make mine in 1/48 scale as it is something my customer will be certain to buy. lol

Thanks again for posting I really enjoyed looking at your wonderful little guy.

Ray
  17. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    No Problem, Ray !

Hi Ray,
    No problem on that, my friend (y)(y)(y). It'll certainly be interesting to see the same subject matter in a different scale altogether. Cheers !
  18. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    More Progress Shots

Hi !
    More progress shots of my vignette. The groundwork is a mixture of Celluclay, white glue, coloured powders and scenery bits from my spares box. The concrete pavement is made of Magic Sculpt and Duro. Thanks for looking and cheers !
    Kenneth :p.

Attached Files:

19. blaster A Fixture

United-States
    Hi Ken,

Just got back from a long trip. You managed to sneak this past me. Wow! Wow! Wow!
    How about a dilapidated fence and a cat sneaking up on the pigeons?

Rgds Vic
  20. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Thanks, Victor !

Hi Victor,
    Thanks, my friend ;). I thought you'd got back over the weekend ? Anyway, here are the rest of the shots showing the base work; computer gave me some problems earlier when I was posting the images. Cheers !

Attached Files: