1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Panzer crew WIP

Discussion in 'Digis - Digital Miniatures 3D Modeling' started by vince wai, Feb 22, 2015.

1. vince wai Active Member

Hi all,

Had put aside the Chinese bust ( just to make my mind work again ) , and had started this new project. I am thinking about doing a full figure for this tank crew and this is the image of the head I am working.

vince

Panzer crew1_R1 crop.jpg
    mandreas, JackG and pokrad like this.
  2. vince wai Active Member

start working on the body and pose......

Panzer crew_2.jpg
    Panzer crew_3.jpg

Refining the shape of the jacket...........

Panzer crew_4.jpg Panzer crew_5.jpg
    Eludia likes this.
  3. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    Nice start !
  4. vince wai Active Member

Thanks Pokrad,

a small update with the belt added

vince

Panzer crew_6.jpg
    Eludia and pokrad like this.
  5. vince wai Active Member

assault badge, iron cross added

Panzer crew_7.jpg Panzer crew_8.jpg

And left hand ..........

Panzer crew_13.jpg
    Panzer crew_10.jpg Panzer crew_11.jpg Panzer crew_12.jpg
    Eludia and JackG like this.
  6. vince wai Active Member

Some more updates with the details of the jacket and the boots.

Panzer crew_14.jpg Panzer crew_15.jpg Panzer crew_16.jpg
    Eludia, mandreas and JackG like this.
  7. antonio argudo Well-Known Member

Spain
    stuning work Vince! are the iron cross and insignias separate mesh? you make tutorials? superb clean job mate, keep posting
    cheers
  8. vince wai Active Member

Hi Antonio,

Thanks for the kind words. The iron cross, badges and other insignias are all separate meshes as they are all relatively higher resolution than the jacket itself. Usually I use Modo to import the basic mesh and work further in Zbrush with alpha and hand sculpting. I am still learning and not sure if this workflow is a right one. Hopefully I can make some tutorials in the future but definitely there are more competent artists (Marrakech, pokrad ,mandreas , Max I.G....... ) in this forum who knows 3D sculpting better than I do.

vince
    antonio argudo likes this.
  9. vince wai Active Member

Working on the Walther P38.....
    Panzer crew_17.jpg Panzer crew_18.jpg
    kaz6120, Eludia, 1969 and 3 others like this.
  10. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    very nice work so far, interesting to watch this figure develop (y)
    Steve
  11. Range Rat Active Member

United-Kingdom
    To be honest this kind of technology goes straight over my head but I do enjoy the visual quality.

Mark
  12. vince wai Active Member

Steve and Mark,

Thanks, will post more updates soon:) .

vince
  13. vince wai Active Member

Right hand added

Panzer crew_19.jpg
    Panzer crew_20.jpg
    kaz6120, JackG, mandreas and 2 others like this.
  14. vince wai Active Member

With tank destruction badge added

Panzer crew_23.jpg

And the finished model with front and back view.

Panzer crew_21.jpg

Panzer crew_22.jpg
    armorer, JackG and mandreas like this.
  15. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    It is a great piece of work. About the patches: I do it the almost the same way: draw alpha on top of the photo - create mesh from alpha and then manually sculpt on top. If alpha is good - less work is required to clean it up.
    Here is the last one I created that way (more time spent on alpha, and did not touch it with sculpting tools at all - as this is good enough for really small piece of sculpt):

[IMG]

Now about the "competence", as You mentioned me in the post, I think You are just being modest, as this shows both technical and artistic skills that are great.
    For example, I have no idea how you did shoelaces, so If this is not a secret, please share it with us ;)
  16. vince wai Active Member

Hi Pokrad,

Thanks.

The shoelaces are no secret:) At first, I had tried with mesh insert brush by creating one myself but it just drives me nut as the individual "unit" just don't merge well ( I had set the join option in the brush menu already ) after further subdivision and still shows gap with dynamesh. And very often, the movement is not always the way you want especially it has to curve exactly the way I want. So after 2 days work, I finally go to the point deleting all the meshes ( without leaving a duplicate and this way I got no way back :cry: and start the whole darn thing again ) . I resort to using a single piece of thin rectangle ( subdivided it enough ) and using the move and rotate tools to slowly move them in place and added the details.

Hope this help.

vince
    pokrad likes this.
  17. mandreas Active Member

Italy
    I agree with Pokrad, although many people consider the 3d modelers not the "real" modelers, I believe that this technique requires many hours of work and "learn by working" until one creates a personal style, well , you have a your personal style and it is really nice;)
  18. vince wai Active Member

Hi Mandreas,

Thanks,

Yes, it's just a tool and provide a different medium to do artwork. ;)

cheers,

vince