1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Painting Posting Rules and Guidelines

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by pwadm, Oct 31, 2014.

1. pwadm Administrator

Canada
    This forum should be used for all things relating to the art of figure painting, acrylic and oils, tips and techniques.

For any completed work please use the Showcase & Highlights Forum.

For any works in progress please use the vBench Forum.

Copyright issues: You may include a single photograph or paragraph from a published text in your post if you give proper credit to the owner. This is covered under the "Fair Use" clause which protects such reproduction for "research/educational" purposes. Whole image collections, chapters from published texts etc is not permitted without expressed consent from the authors/owners and is in violation of international copyright law. This includes linking to such matter as PlanetFigure does not endorse or tolerate pirate works.

Replaced by new Guidelines:

http://www.planetfigure.com/threads/painting-posting-guidelines.67732/
    housecarl likes this.
  2. Blunderbus Active Member

United-States
    I have not been a member here very long but I have found this site to be an incredible source of inspiration and information.

In the short time I have been here I have noticed that many of the posts are completed works.

The showcase and highlights forum is buried deep on the forum page and is rarely the first place I personally check out.

The Painting forum seems to be the logical place to display finished work. If the admins don't want this to be the case
    Perhaps there should be a "Completed Works" forum at the top of the list.

Just a suggestion from someone who has come to really value this site and its members.
    Tubby-Nuts2 likes this.
  3. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    If I put the completed work in the "Showcase and Highlights then it would not be in my Vbench completed list? If somebody checks my vbench they would miss my latest as I usually do not do a work in progress in the Vbench. I just put the finished painted figure with maybe a little history.
    Am I miss reading this? The Vbench has a heading titled "Finished work" and can either be critiqued or not.
    Cheers
    John
    NickM likes this.
  4. pwadm Administrator

Canada
    All valid points about the vBench. We are currently revising the guidelines, I will update the post as soon as ready.
    billyturnip and napoleonpeart like this.
  5. MENTAL DENTAL A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    None of my 'painting' post appear in my vBench 'folder' That's a pain:mad:
  6. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    I don't really understand how you get your completed works into your Gallery? Perhaps someone could explain?

Keith
  7. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Another regular suggested this to the mods a few days ago, pointing out that the current system of categories is a bit of a free for all and potentially confusing for some, as evidenced by the fact that finished pieces have been ending up all over the shop in 4 or 5 different sub-forums.

I thought he raised a good point, and there is now a discussion underway among the mods as to what is the best way forward, i.e. a tweak of the forums along these lines, or keeping things as they are.

I personally am all in favour of shifting the existing "Showcase and highlights" further up the listings so that it is more prominent - and also changing its name to "Completed figures" so that it's much clearer what should go where (in my humble opinion "showcase" and "highlights" is a bit vague as these things can mean different things to different people).

It will still be possible to post WIPs to the vBench, that won't change, and there won't be a mass moving by Admin of existing posts that are currently in the "wrong" forum (too time-consuming and impractical anyway). It's just about making things clearer (and hopefully easier) for the future.

Everyone's input is welcomed so that the prevailing mood can be determined, so feel free to chime in here about whether or not you think this tweak is a good idea.

- Steve
  8. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Keith - click the "Galleries" tab. Then click on "Create Own Album". Then give your album a name and you're done.

You can then start adding photos by using the "Manage Images" function to upload photos from your computer.

When you want to add more photos later, you just go to your own profile page and click on the Album tab.

- Steve
    Tubby-Nuts2 likes this.
  9. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Good to hear that something is finally being done to tidy up and 'simplify' this matter.
    Everything being looked at has been raised by members over the years along with the solutions that you are now looking at (y) .
    Cheers
    Derek
    Babelfish and Tubby-Nuts2 like this.
  10. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    It might also be worth mentioning that I've suggested a couple of other changes:

1) Changing the rather vague title of the "Painting" subforum to something like "Painting Techniques" or "Painting Discussion" (which is what it's supposed to be for, but we still end up with completed figures and WIPs in there).

2) Doing away with the "Brutal Honesty" sub-forum entirely. What's it supposed to be for anyway? WIPs or finished figures? Or both? No-one really seems to know for sure, so we end up with a hotch-poth of all sorts in there. There's no real need for it IMHO because people could still comment (with the aforementioned "brutal honesty") on WIPs and completed figures in the respective sub-forums for these (i.e. "Completed Figures" and "vBench/WIPs"). All that having yet another sub-forum called "Brutal Honesty" does is muddy the water unnecessarily.

Again, your thoughts on these ideas are welcome.

- Steve
    Blunderbus and Tubby-Nuts2 like this.
  11. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Cheers Steve, I am right up there with Del!

Thanks for looking at this aspect, it was getting a little confusing!

High Regards,

Mark
  12. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Steve i think your proposals are good with one minor clarification. Where completed figs are the result of a WIP series of posts, I perceive many other members would like to continue to post the completed pieces in the vbench. That way they complete the cradle to grave history of the project and post to their personal vbench, which many use as a living record or portfolio of their work.

I think the only other concern folks may have is that completed figures outside vbench don't post to their personal vbench or show up as new work on the home page for the site. Is there a way to change this?

You could argue that personal galleries could be used instead. I don't think this will do as the gallereis are not visited by many and are hard to navigate.

For what its worth.

Colin
  13. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I wouldn't have a problem with that Colin, and as I understand it the vBench would continue as-is.

I think though that having just one clear and unambiguous Completed Figures category (in addition to and separate from the vBench) would be useful for the many members who do not use the vBench.

I think Pawel (or possibly Tommi) would be the best one to answer that Colin. They do all that "technical" stuff!

Have to confess that like many, I'm also guilty of neglecting the galleries. Which is a shame because there's some nice stuff in there and a rummage through them can be enjoyable and reveal previously missed stuff.

- Steve
  14. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Perhaps create a Completed forum and rename vBench forum to WIP and have both forums automatically tied to the individuals vBench.

just a thought

Colin
  15. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Colin,(CRF),

I agree. There is no reason why, Completed works, should not be displayed in 'WIP', and then also displayed in 'Completed Works'! .. Granted, a double post. However look at it this way, One is almost an 'In-Forum' magazine. Good for 'Ogling' :LOL:. The other is for how any given piece was achieved. :)

My point being, look at how many guests there are. in comparison to members ? ............. No doubt. Lots of 'Ogling', but not yet members.:)

Mark
    crf and Babelfish like this.
  16. swralph A Fixture

I would be Happy to post in a section of completed models if it was given prominence near the top of the forums and home page.
    Cheers.
    Ralph.
    Tubby-Nuts2 likes this.
  17. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Ralph,.. you have hit the nail on the head. :D. However, the majority of members are not looking at this particular thread! Which, (IMHO). Requires a separate thread/notice. In honesty would you agree that when you/me and others, view 'Sub-Forums', you ignore the top thread? and look to or for a visual?...

Mark
  18. swralph A Fixture

Mark
    I usually just look at everything between painting.But I agree that the casual people are usually looking for a visual especially on the home page,where the prominence is given to only 3 sub forums,Figure News,Reviews and Open box and Wip,post anything anywhere else and you will never make the home page "headline's",Maybe this is unfair but what will be done about it?.
    All the best.
    Ralph.
  19. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    :D,(y). Ralph,

Exactly! ... So correct me if I am wrong! are you a tad confused as to what goes where? As I am :eek:

Mark.
  20. swralph A Fixture

It Is a bit confusing I guess,but I will mostly post my completed figure's in painting.
    Ralph