1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Painting General von Hase

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ACCOUNT_DELETED, Aug 21, 2005.

1. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    I have cast my sculpt in alumilite and now I'm going to paint a casting in oils.

Primer was white spray Citadel (Games Workshop).

Undercoat is Vallejo acrylic - applied thickly to the tunic and as a virtual wash to the collar tabs and face. I did not take the dark undercoating of the hair to the edge of the hair growth as I want skin to show through the short hair at his neck and temples.

Here's a pic of the undercoated figure:

[IMG]

I next did his eyes in Vallejo - whites are mixed light grey and iory. Highlght with ivory once dry. Irises were black and US Bluegrey pale. I built this up with more and more US B/G P adding ivory as I went. Added white catchlights and a touch of crimson wash at the edges of the eyes. I'll varnish once dry.

[IMG]

Next step - to get a decent oil flesh tone.

Colin
  2. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    First oil layer -

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  3. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    He's looking great so far Colin. I look forward to your next flesh step.
  4. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Hey Colin...it's great to see you painting something that you've invested so much effort into....well done...he's looking great...looking forward to seeing him finished.

All the best.

Roy.
  5. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice work Colin, love the eyes and the skin tones are very realistic. Looks quite big, what scale is it?

all the best
  6. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks for the continuing interest. Scale is about 1/6 (see previous string on sculpting him)

Some more progress -

[IMG]

[IMG]

Skin tones are based on Phil Kessling's old formula from a previous forum. Mars orange, tit, white, cad. yellow and cad red. Deep shadows with Mars brown, brn. madder alizarin, some viridian, violet and some blue. Deep shadows are sepia. Hair (moustache and eye brows are sepia with tit white to simulate greying. Five o'clock shadow has blue/black mixed inot flesh mix. Reddish hues in cheeks and temples are pompeii red. Medium is Grumbacher medium # 1.

Base coat to cgold lace on colalr tabs = mars orange + cad. yellow + ochre.

I'll have to deeemphasize his top lip to get rid of the pursed mouth look. Photography provides a nice way to check mid-paint job results.

Cheers

Colin
  7. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Colin....lovely so far...I can understand about the top lip.....
    but I think it helps to give him a very inquisitive kind of look which suits him very well.

All the best.

Roy.
  8. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Some more dabbling this aft - more work on the face and I did the national insignia and "Larisch" collare embroidary(I love painting detail!).

Colin

[IMG]

[IMG]
  9. jjgurk Member

United-States
    Excellent Colin.

John
  10. Markus Lack New Member

Hey Colin,
    superb work!
    I just read your sculpting sbs and I was blewn away. Your painting is great as well.
    I just wish this bust would be commercially available, as von Hase really is a Character that I, personally, would love to have in my collection.
    I can´t wait for an update on your bust. It´s just, hmmmm, well, WOW ;)!
  11. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Progress today - field grey was cad. orange, + ultramarine + tit. white + a dash of viridian. I am going to wash it with something like raw umbre once its thoroughly dry to introduce a slight brownish cast. The photo doesn't really show the colour which is a sort of mouse grey brown.

The collar is too green and will need darkening. Medal bar is in progress.

Colin

[IMG]

[IMG]
  12. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Finished! Whew!

Colin

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  13. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    He's turned out really well Colin..great piece of sculpting and an excellent finish.
    I love the detail you've created...and the great likeness.

All the best.

Roy.
  14. dArtagnan A Fixture

Belgium
    Congratulations on an excellent job, Colin!!

I think the sculpture and painting turned out very, very beautifully!
    GREAT!! Thanks for sharing,

Eddy.
  15. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    BEAUTIFUL WORK,Colin (y) (y) (y) !!! A WORTHY addition to your collection. Cheers !
    Kenneth.
  16. Jacek Spychalski Member

Poland
    Great work Colin!

Congratulations and best regards!

Jacek
  17. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Colin,

I can't understand why i missed this great piece of work.
    Outstanding.

Marc
  18. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    WOW! Wish I could get my eyes to paint up half as good as yours Colin. Nice job! (y)

Jim Patrick