1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Painting Canada's First VC

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ACCOUNT_DELETED, Feb 27, 2015.

1. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    I have finished my sculpt of Lt. Alexander Dunn, 11th Hussars and Canada's first VC earned in the Charge of the Light Brigade at Balaklava in 1854. I am opening this new thread to show the painting process. You can see my SBS of the sculpting process as a separate thread in my vbench.

One sixth scale in sculpey and magic sculpt, with some plastic card, cord and metal chain. Painting him in acrylics and inks.

Colin

P2270938.jpg

P2270919.jpg P2270920.jpg P2270922.jpg P2270923.jpg P2270926.jpg P2270930.jpg P2270931.jpg P2270932.jpg P2270935s.jpg P2270936.jpg
    Eludia, Tommi, samson and 24 others like this.
  2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Looking grand Colin.(y)
    crf likes this.
  3. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great start!
    crf likes this.
  4. malc PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Just excellent
    crf likes this.
  5. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    I think I will call this "Pro Valore," which I believe (subject to check) is the Canadian version of the "For Valour" on the UK Cross. The new Canadian VC has yet to be awarded and I hope it's a long time before it is.

Here are some painting refs I will be using.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  6. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    'Pro Valore' is the motto on the Canadian VC - being bilingual, I suppose 'For Valour' was thought inappropriate.

Mike
    tomifune, captnenglish and crf like this.
  7. Nap Moderator

England
    Colin,

That is an amazing amount of detail you have done and I am looking forward to the colour .

Like the pose as well

Thanks for sharing

Nap
    crf likes this.
  8. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    I thought they just wanted to put a different stamp on it, to make it a Made in Canada version, but reverting to the latin for English and French use does avoid the need for a double bilingual motto. I think you are correct Mike.

Colin
    captnenglish likes this.
  9. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Nap. The pose was meant to imply close sabre combat with the three Russian cavalymen who were attacking Sergeant Bentley. Intervening to save Bentley and giving up his horse to the wounded man was a part of actions that merited him this award. Dunn was in the first award ceremony and received VC #17, the order of awards being determined by regimental precedence.

Colin
  10. Perseas Well-Known Member

Greece
    Amazing bust full of character, highly detailed and ofcourse amazing talent!
    Congratulations Colin, waiting to see him painted!!
    crf likes this.
  11. Ray Welshman Active Member

Looks Very good my friend

So when will we see a large scale version of a full figure on a horse :) C'mon you know you could do it :)

Seriously excellent sculpt and going to look great painted.

Cheers

Ray
    Scotty, MCPWilk and crf like this.
  12. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Absolutely stunning sculpt. Very talented. (y)
    Regards
    Bob
    crf likes this.
  13. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Lovely flesh tones Colin.:)

Cheers,
    Pedro.
    crf likes this.
  14. BarrieHynd Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Superb work Colin, great attention to detail. Looking forward to the piece being painted.

Barrie
    crf likes this.
  15. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Loved the sculpting SBS.
    Now I'm thoroughly enjoying the painting.
    Thanks for posting,
    Andrew
    crf likes this.
  16. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Superb sculpt Colin.
    As I said previously the detail you have put into this piece is of the highest standard, very well done.
    At the early stages I thought that the guard position of the sabre may block the view of Lt Dunn but you have got it spot on.
    Keith
    napoleonpeart and crf like this.
  17. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Keith and all of the rest who have provided nice feedback. I had some initial doubts about the sabre position too. But the alternative was to have it behind his head preparing to slash forward. This sword was primarily a thrusting weapon although I am sure it could be used to slash in an emergency. I am quite happy with how it came out.

Colin
    ChaosCossack and Wings5797 like this.
  18. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Amazing job - fantastic!

Steve(y)
    crf likes this.
  19. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Looking great, as usual Colin. That's some intricate sculpting too, particularly around the braiding on his chest.
    crf likes this.
  20. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Undercoated in liquitex blue and black mix to add durability and stop the sculpey from flaking or otherwise breaking. Dolman has been painted in Vallejos and still needs dull coating. I have started on his gold lace, beginning with the sleeve lace on his rein hand. This is going to take a while. NMM lace is a mix of Liquitex Pro Burnt Umber, Raw Umber and Unbleached Titanium. It will be washed with diluted gold ink after dull coating. Hands are just roughly undercoated with L Deep Portrait Pink.

P3040963s.jpg

P3040968.JPG