1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Painting Andy's Cossack Bust (AC Models, 1:12)

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Martin Antonenko, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    37. Day, 23. January 2012

Warm welcome back here in the new week!

The black painting goes on.

Today I paint the whole back area of my "Tscherkesska". I am quite contented with the impression – indeed, almost the insanity packs me with taking photos for this sbs continuation!

This "black" is not virtually reasonable beside the grey priming to illustrate!
    To be able to show to You today generally what, I had to make this what
    I ordinarily hate like the plague:

The photos digitally a little lighten. Also in these pictures the "black" now looks clearly bright when it is in reality.

Well …:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

I think, will look so right the "black" only when the areas lying therefore are also painted …
  2. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    38. Day, 24. January 2012

Yesterday I had written:

„I think, will look so really good the "black" only when the areas lying therefore are also painted …“

So let us start with it!

Today one of the highlights of this anyway very nice bust is in the row, the red-silver braid belt which our Cuba-Cossack carries over the left shoulder.

Here the original after which this detail was modeled and is painted now …:

[IMG]

The sculpting was not easy for Andy guaranteed, however, the painting also has thus her malices! The single "stripes" are 0.3 mm wide in each case!

I take in addition the following colours:

For Red …

[IMG]

For the silver

[IMG]

The belt shows of course lights and becomes "more and more shady" down there.

If we have a look at an old picture this sbs once more, one can recognise that the belt has not come with my copy completely from the form. But this is, fortunately, not to be seen afterwards!

[IMG]

And thus it has become...:

[IMG]

By the way:

The belt seems to lie only over the shoulder and to have no function – therefore, it was asked quite critically for it or this „pointless detail“ was questioned.

The belt had quite a certain function and was not only an ornamental piece!

What has it on itself, I will exactly tell You if I paint the front, so I still ask for some patience.

Into this nice detail have pushed Andy and I rather by chance and to interpret it, to find out his name, his story was to be told and to be found models the hardest nut which I had to crack by the search to this bust generally.

Four days it has lasted, until I knew what it is.

Oh yes, once again to my "black":
    In the today's picture it looks finally, finally possibly roughly in such a way as I see it before myself!
    billyturnip likes this.
  3. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hello Martin,
    The start on the belt looks good.It took me a couple of goes on the lathe to turn a grooved rolling tool(Waltz geraet) to replicate the lines in the belt.
    Doing a good job Mate.
    Look forward as usual to your steady progress.
    Cheers
    Andy
  4. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Hi Andy!
    That you like it, I am glad particularly!
    I can only repeat: The small and smallest details are wonderfully sculpted.
    The bust gives a lot of pleasure!

-------------------------------------------

39. Day, 25. January 2012

The back of the nice bust still serves as an "experimental field" for my colour pattern. Today the saber strap is painted.

For this I take these colours …:

[IMG]

Light and shade "follow" the back part of the black Tscherkesska coat …:

[IMG]
  5. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    40. Day, 26. January 2012

Another highlight of my Cossack's bust are absolutely the shoulder pieces which Andy has modeled brilliantly and in all details!

Moreover beforehand – as usual – some theory:

Russian shoulder pieces were bigger than those of other armies.

Is to be noted that of the officers another form had, than those of the enlisted men and noncommissioned officers.

[IMG]

To follow it is more distant that the shoulder pieces of Cossack's officers were always silver, never golden!

On the shoulder piece ran for ranks of the Praportschik (enasign) up to the captain a coloured stripe …

[IMG]

From the major upward up to the colonel (Polkownik) these were two …:

[IMG]

The shoulder pieces were – at least according to the regulation – running around in "weapon colour" gepaspelt.

The stripe and the running around piping was (and is!) with the Terek Cossacks consequently light blue …

[IMG]

… with the Kuban-Cossacks against it was (and is) red …:

[IMG]

With war beginning the shoulder pieces were still hard and with button and flap fastened …:

[IMG]

With increasing war course they became softer and softer for practicalness reasons and were around sewed on, finally.

[IMG]

I had suggested the "hard" version to Andy because I think that it looks more nicely – and above all "Russian".

Today this "basic scaffolding" of the shoulder pieces is painted.

I take my colours already proven now …:

[IMG]

With the silver part of the shoulder pieces it is stressed by a Wash with a broth from black and Silver (about 50:50) structures and depth.

As a separation between the silver part and the running around Ppiping I let go pure watered black in the distinguishing joint.

And now it looks like that...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

Now our friend carries several badges on his shoulder pieces.

Tomorrow I will come come to these details...
    pmfs and billyturnip like this.
  6. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
  7. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Thank You very much, Roger, Eduardo and Pedro!

Cheers
  8. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    41. Day, 27. January 2012

Today I paint the epaulets of my Kuban-Cossack ready!

On these shoulder pieces what was quite a lot to bee seen, there several badges were mostly carried side by side.

If we start first with the buttons, aluminium-colourfully and with impressed Russian double eagle …:

[IMG]

Besides a functional badge was carried for usual, as for example flashes on the technical troops …

[IMG]

… or hand-grenade symbols for storm or "shock troops" …:

[IMG]

Guard units carried the imperial crown for usual:

[IMG]

If no special functional badge was carried, one took, instead, often the Russian double eagle.

There was the old – "alexandrinic" – form with "hanging" wings …:

[IMG]

… or the more modern – "nikolaiic" – form with upraised wings …:

[IMG]

Then the rank badge itself came in, or several stars …:

[IMG]

Completely on the left in the picture you see the officer cadet – name "Horunshi" with the Cossacks, otherwise "Praportschik" - which carried a star.

Here the Terek variation in silver blue.

Finally, still a special symbol was mostly carried.

This could be the regimental number …:

[IMG]

… or the special monogram of the respective unit. Guard troops were often the monogram of russian or foreign princes they were appointed honoris causa as regimental chefs …:

[IMG]

Thus the regiment "Wiburgski" (Wyborg) – irony of the history! - marched with the monogram of the German emperor Wilhelm II on the shoulder boards in 1914 into war against Germany...

The Cossack's armies had of course also her own regimental numbers or monograms.

Cossack's officers who belonged to no special regiment (and possibly stick services or special duties performed) then carried, however, mostly the general monogram of their Cossack host.

The Kuban-Cossacks deceive accordingly a monogram from the letters "KB" (= Russian "KW" = "Kubanskoje Woiska" = "Kuban Host").

[IMG]

(The above picture is from today's time – at that time the shoulder pieces of the Cossack's officers were exclusively silver!)

The order and arrangement of the symbols called here and rank badges could change, indeed, there were there from unity to unity partly considerable differences.

There essential roles played personal individuality, tradition, "fashion" and the predilections of the unit leader.
    Besides, the shoulder pieces of the bust should look "full" and for that interesting, but do not "overload" with too many details.

As a sum of all these considerations I had suggested Andy to make the shoulder pieces in such a way, an officer cadet ("Horunshij") of the Cuba Cossack's army …:

[IMG]

Andy has moved this presentation accurately!

These epaulets are all together less than half as largely as one Eurocent coin. It is quite difficult to paint the details, but to model such a thing …!

Andy must have CAD-steered hands and a X-ray eyes!

Thus it has become with me – quite nice, I find.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

And with this: „Happy week-end!“
  9. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    42. Day, 30th of January, 2012

Today I see "black" again!.

And what I see, I like…:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Around the badge which must be still painted there I have made intentionally a deep "black" hollow …
  10. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    43. Day, 31. January 2012

Well, today I have started painting the front part of the nice braid belt with the still unknown function up to now.

Today there comes the answere!

In July of the last year I had sent Andy as a sculpting presentation cutting enlargement from an Osprey book (Nr. 364)...:

[IMG]

It was, actually, about the shoulder pieces.

Besides, Andy this golden belt has struck which the Cossack on the oicture carried over the left shoulder and was pinned with a sort of clip in the cartridge loops on the right breast like a repeated cutting enlargement pointed …:

[IMG]

Andy wanted to enrich the bust with such a belt pleasure and asked me immediately for details.

The Osprey book loses, unfortunately, no word about this detail.
    Such or similar belt is to be seen in several my Cossack's pictures.

Here a guard Cossack who carries such a belt …

[IMG]

… and here the photo of a Cossack's officer with such a belt.

[IMG]

However, I had given no attention to this detail before, and thus a big gap in the knowledge opened.

On no photo meanwhile this piece looked alike!

What the hell was this? An honouring unknown to me? Or a sort of jewellery maybe?

To get the answer to these questions, has taken up full four-day search.

This belt was no honouring, but rather a sort of jewellery, but not only adornment, but also with a special function.

One called this belt simply "tape" or "edging" (Russian Тесьма what, moreover, even still "plait" means) and he was carried before 1880 by a lot of Cossacks.

This rather everyday name (it gave obviously no special expression for it) it was what made the search so difficult!

Since if I investigate any object after documents, I normally try to find out first how he is called in the respective national language.

In this case this did not help a lot.

There remained only to read so many articles about details of the Caucasian Cossack's uniform, until somewhere a description was found – I really needed four days, until I got some further details out.

Then in the article „The Caucasian Cossacks in the First World War and the civil war“ from S. Korowjakowski (Moscow in 2010) I made a find – rather by chance – finally!

The belt was fastened really with a sort of brooch on the right cartridge pockets ("Kapsitulnij") and his function was to prevent that the cartridge pockets got with the horse riding in too violent movement and made to themselves the cartridge cases ("Gazyrij") got lost!

On the other breast side the saber strap on which the heavy weapon hung took over this function.

When I was came so far, finally, I also found picture documents.
    Here Kuban-and Terek-Cossacks about 1880 with a variation of this belt …

[IMG]

… and here other photos from the late years of the czardom (from 1900 to 1914) …:

[IMG]

[IMG]

The "brooches" or clips with which the part was fastened to the cartridge loops could look extremely different – here an especially nice copy …:

[IMG]

There were not regulations with regard to width, colour and equipment, there again individual predilections, financial possibilities and "fashion" played weight-bearing roles.

It is to be supposed that the Cossacks tried to excel each other concerning precious object and Prächtigkeit of this equipment detail (and to be to blame accordingly!), because on the 4th of October, 1886 czar Aleksej Aleksandrowitsch (Aleksandr III) felt constrained to remit a special order which forbade to teams and noncommissioned officers expressly to carry this belt furthermore.

To officers, however, there remained exempt whether they wanted to use this thing furthermore.

And they did – many of them went with it still into the First World War!

Now I would still like to show You a few original pieces, and as already in the above pictures appears that everybody was decorated with golden or silver braid work …:

[IMG]

[IMG]

… and here once more the piece after which Andy has modeled. I had suggested this variation to him because this fits in my opinion Best to the colour pattern of a Kuban-Cossack.

[IMG]

Enough of the theory, now it goes to painting!

For Red and silver I take my quite several times called colour blendings, I generate depth as well as shadow zones with Wash's with different to very varying black shares, clarifications with drily-brushes.

Thus it has become …:

[IMG]
  11. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    44. Day, 1. February 2012

It further goes with the painting of the saber strap which is painted, however, even up to the "cross".

This has a reason as you will see tomorrow.

These colours were used again …:

[IMG]

And now it looks like this…:

[IMG]

I have painted most light where the strap on the cartridge loops mounts, rises farthest forwards and, hence, is put out to most light.

[IMG]
    sarouman and Edorta like this.
  12. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Thank You very much, Eduardo!

All the best to You!
  13. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    45. Day, 2. February 2012

Russian officers – also Cossack's officers – carried any time guns. If they bought no individual weapons to themselves, were this mostly the Moisin Nagant revolver, model 1895 …:

[IMG]

… or the heavy moult gun, model 1896, an originally German weapon which was produced at that time in Russia in licence in big numbers of pieces …:

[IMG]

Though no gun is to be seen in the bust, nevertheless, however, it is concerned!

At in the piston of those weapons was – to see clear in the pictures on top! – a ring to which a protection cord was fastened which other end was carried around the neck.

This cord should prevent that the gun fall down in the fight and could get lost.

There were such protection cords in all possible colours, equipment and materials, whole as well as it the bearer liked.

Here we have a cord from twisted leather straps …:

[IMG]

… and this here is by far thinner and from an easy material …:

[IMG]

I have decided to make a combination of both photos for my cord. The fastening which is given by the modelling should look similar later, like in the colour picture, so silver with intimated decorations.

The cord itself should become very thin, how on the black-and-white photo.

This cord must be produced for the bust of wire or other material itself –
    Andy has modeled only the fastening, exactly on the "cross" is …:

[IMG]

Today this point is on the agenda!

I have decided to use 0,5-mm tin-solder to the representation of this cord as "a wire" which is light and well pliable, as well as – once crookedly – his form holds. For the intended purpose and in the graduation there is simply nothing better …:

[IMG]

An enough long piece is cut off first by the role …

[IMG]

… and afterwards under a ruler just rolled …:

[IMG]

I advise against fastening the "wire" possibly with liquid second glue, even if the temptation is great because it could go faster!

Such a glue is not gap-filling (it will not be entire!) and, moreover, the stuff inclines to "blossom out" if one takes too much of it.

"Blossom out" means which forms of stuff many small whitish crystals which are to be seen after the dry of the glue then like a sort of fog around the adhesive-point.

This can mean extensive remachinings already of painted parts, if one – in the worst case - the painting not equally completely destroyed!

Since on the "cross" where it is to be fastened must occur almost all details of the bust meet.

(Yesterday, therefore, from care I have painted and the day before yesterday only up to the "cross" …)

No, much surer it is to use a gap-filling and more loadable two-component glue which hardens though more slowly, but also substantially more firmly!

I take to me „Pattex Stabilit Express“ …

[IMG]

… and sticks together with a tiny drop one end of the "wire" in the fastening.

Besides, the figure is laid thus on the table that the "wire" can be stuck on by now in the later right corner. The prevented with later bending into shape an unnecessary load of the adhesive-point …:

[IMG]

Then I leave alone the bust one hour, until the adhesive-point are loadable.

Afterwards the "wire" is bent bit by bit around the neck …

[IMG]

… and then in front again closes to fastening down controlled, with the nail scissors suitably cut-off and the end then again with a droplet of "Stabilit Express" to fastening.

Other adhesive-points, possibly behind in the neck, are not necessary, because the "wire" once crookedly, his form keeps.

Wage of the trouble:

Another nice detail has originated and, fortunately, without causing some damages of the surrounding parts …:

[IMG]

[IMG]

Now still the lower part of the "cord" is absent of course – he comes later if I have painted the bust "down under" …

Tomorrow the just built detail will be painted.
  14. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
  15. Figurenfreund66 Well-Known Member

Germany
    Hi Martin

nice, nice, nice .
    I`m looking forward .

Hendryk
  16. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Thank You, Eduardo and Hendryk!!!

Cheers
    rafaelega likes this.
  17. rafaelega Active Member

Spain
    Excellent PAP. Take seat! (y)
  18. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Thank You very much, Rafael!

--------------------------------------

46. Day, 3. February 2012

Yesterday built – today painted: The gun cord.

Today I have come back after longer time once more to my old "point and line technology" because I want to show the cord as a twisted leather strap.

In addition becomes first primes with …:

[IMG]

Then I stir several bright mixtures of these colours…:

[IMG]

Afterwards the component is painted in several passageways patiently with many multi colour thin lines – to itself an impression from "Twisted" has put.

Alike I go forward with the fastening. As well as in this picture …

[IMG]

...I would like to show chased or hammered decorations on a metal shell.

Priming coat with …:

[IMG]

And then a lot of multi colour point from passed away to bright mixtures of these colours …:

[IMG]

Here an extreme enlargement, the straps and fastening points …:

[IMG]

And here the overall impression …:

[IMG]

Looks not quite bad, I think!

And with this I say goodbye to the week-end!
    pmfs likes this.
  19. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Thanks, Pedro!

Cheers
  20. rafaelega Active Member

Spain
    Looks nice! :awesome: