1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

painting a face step by step

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by homellop, Mar 18, 2004.

1. homellop Active Member

Spain
    Hi folks.
    Here you are a brief description of how I paint a face.
    This is not the only way and these are not the only colours you can use to paint a face.But this is my way and my colours.
    Here in Planet figure you can find some other aproaches to this subject(specially I can recomend Anders Heintz's article.
    http://www.planetfigure.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1104)

I've chosen Elite's 1st reg New York 70mm. figure
    First of all I always prime(?)my figures to get an smooth surface wich admits acrylic paints.I do it with tamiya spray primer.I apply two light coats and let it dry one day.

Attached Files:

2. homellop Active Member

Spain
    When the primer has dried I paint two thin coats of Brown sand 876 as base colour

Attached Files:

3. homellop Active Member

Spain
    Once the base coat has dried(few minutes) I mix some Basic skintone 815 to the Brown sand to get a first light and apply it to the most prominent parts of the face.

Attached Files:

4. homellop Active Member

Spain
    Adding some more B.Skintone I get a second light.
    Lights have to be applied enough diluted because they tend to paste.

Attached Files:

5. homellop Active Member

Spain
    Again more Basic Skintone,almost pure,to paint the third and last light.

Attached Files:

6. homellop Active Member

Spain
    Now let's go with shadows.
    Adding some Burnt Cadmium Red 814 to the Brown Sand I mix my first shadow

Attached Files:

7. homellop Active Member

Spain
    second one

Attached Files:

8. homellop Active Member

Spain
    For third shadow I use Cadmium Maroon 859(that is in fact very similar to adding some black to the B.Cadmium Red)

Attached Files:

9. homellop Active Member

Spain
    At this stage I've painted three rude lights and shadows with no blending at all.
    I've,basically,drawn the most important features of the face to give it character and live.
    Now the fun begins.Is time to blend those brushstrockes using the same shadows,highlights and base,very diluted.
    If I have to blend a third light with a second,I'll paint with second light over the third and then again with third over the second,until the frontier between the two tones has disapeared.This is achieved through the transparence properties of acrylics when are correctly diluted.
    It's hard to explain the correct dilution degree but,usually,it takes from a milky consistence to dirty water

Attached Files:

10. homellop Active Member

Spain
    Tonight details and special effects.
    Hope this helps

cheers
    jaume
  11. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hola Jaume!

Well, this is awesome! Like X-Mas :) Thanks for taking the time to show us SBS how you paint your faces, I am sure that everybody wanted to know how you make your master pieces. Now I'll have to try this! Thanks again!!
  12. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jaume, Fantastic! Thank you. Maybe Gordy could arrange this into an article that's in a printable format. How about it Gordy?~Gary (y)
  13. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Brilliant. Just Brilliant.

Just so useful!

thanks so much

Rob
  14. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jaume,

I agree, thanks so very much and Gary, I agree with you, how about it Gordy?

Joe
  15. jitch0t Member

Spain
    when i grow i want to be like Jaw-ma
  16. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Awesome sbs Juame..........thanks for taking the time to lay it out for us.

guy
  17. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    what I find most interesting is the 'rough in' stage followed by 'blending' using the same dilute colours. really makes sense actually, but to me is another approach to acrylics from what I've taught myself

Now I understand why Jaume lays out all the colours from light to dark in his palette at the same time.

Cool

time to play........

Rob
  18. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Jaume,

Thank you for posting your insightful article! I would also love to see this in article form.

-jim cox
  19. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Jaume,I have to echo what the others have already said:AWESOME SBS ! Thanks for posting.Gordy,how's about that article suggestion that the guys have brought-up It would certainly help ALOT of people with their painting ! (I know I'll be trying it out soon.) Cheers.
    Kenneth.
  20. bucsfan21 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jaume, Excellent "how to" on painting faces. Man, you did an excellent job showing the highlights and shadows. I for am striving to achieve the contrasts
    in my flesh tones. Your article is definitely a help. Gordy, I too would like to see this "how to" done on a printable page please.

Best of Everything, Terry Martin-AMFS Group Atlanta, GA