1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Ottoman Soldier

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Dan Morton, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    In between the endless work and re-work on the Royal Naval Division diorama, I decided to sculpt, scavenge, chop, and rework this one. The boots, putties, trousers are from Jon Smith's stormtrooper. [Still one of my favorite figures!!] The torso from the Verlinden German officer. The EXCELLENT head from The Lost Battalion! That face is terrific. Noble and tough-looking! The Mauser rifle, mess tin, and canteen from a Verlinden German infantryman, and the brotbeutel (bread bag), bayonet, and shovel from Fort Royal Review. The base is from the Jimmy Flintstone Testors French soldier kit with a lot of added sandbags and trench debris from various kits. Everything else you can blame on me.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    The unusual Turkish hat is (Thanks to Engin Kayral!) is not called a kabalak, as indicated by the author of the Osprey Turkish army in WWI, but an enveriye.
    The Mauser rifle is a 1907/1910 specification, the main visible difference being a rounder sight. The field equipment is mostly 1914 German. The blanket might be issue, might be one the soldier brought from home. The trench base shows the back of the trench or parados, the other side would have had the fire step, etc. Trench debris includes an Aussie slouch hat with a few bullet holes in it, a can for water and a discarded ammo bandoleer.

Roger Newsome requested an Ottoman soldier - so, Rog - it'll be in the post next week! Look forward to seeing your painting.

Comments welcome as always!

All the best from smack in the middle of the US, that garden spot - Omaha, Nebraska!

Dan
  2. DaveCox Member

United-Kingdom
    Dan, looks as good as ever!

I keep promising myself I'll try sculpting a WW1 Rifleman (maybe a sniper) to go with my other rifles figures - probably either never get around to it or bottle out again!
  3. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Thank you very much Dan. You've done a wonderful job.
    Well I never, an enveriye. Just goes to show you live and learn.
    This is going to be one dusty soldier.

Roger.
  4. Markus Well-Known Member

Germany
    Hello Dan,

great stuff !!! I can`t await to see this one painted.

Cheers,
    Markus
  5. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Glad you like it, fellas! Not a very imaginative pose, unfortunately and it's really more conversion than sculpture, but...he looks fairly Turkish to me.

I too look forward to seeing it painted!

All the best,
    Dan
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Dan,

It is a well executed figure. I like WW I figures. There are not much WW I figures on the market.
    I also trying to sculpt something but it is not so easy.
    You did a tremendous job on this one.
    Hopefully you gonna paint the whole scene very soon.

marc
  7. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Marc! Actually Roger Newsome will be painting the Ottoman. I'm pretty much concentrating on sculpting nowadays. I enjoy it much more than painting. I'm working with several painters on different projects. You're a very talented painter and I've enjoyed your posts a lot in the past! Would you like to paint one of the figures I'll be working on next? That would probably be the Belgian cavalryman. [Assuming I ever finish the RND diorama!] Drop me an e-mail if you'd like to paint the Belgian or another. I have several more things in mind, but only the Belgian is started.

All the best,
    Dan
  8. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Dan,

"The unusual Turkish hat is (Thanks to Engin Kayral!) is not called a kabalak, as indicated by the author of the Osprey Turkish army in WWI, but an enveriye."

Like you this is the name I've become to know for this type of headgear. I don't doubt Engin for a minute, so what is a Kabalak?

Rog.
  9. MAB Well-Known Member

Italy
    Hi Dan
    Beautiful rappresentation... compliments
    even if the period is not just my favorite....
    it appeals to to see the job to me in if.
    This piece waits for the painting.....Good Continuous :)

MAB
  10. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Roger - You'd have to ask Engin that. Not certain. It has something to do with Enver Pasha and the pre-war reforms of the Turkish army, but more than that....
    I'm sure Dr. Kayral can explain it much better than I.

Maurizio - Many, many thanks! :) To be recognized by a master such as yourself is a high honor indeed. Boy, has my head just swelled-up! :lol:

All the best,
    Dan
  11. Graywolf Active Member

Turkey
    Dan, my friend
    congrats for this great figure ,it really looks like a Turkish soldier in WW I.

To answer the question about Kabalak in my limits; In Turkish history; Kabalak is known as the traditional headgear of men living in the Black sea region during Ottoman empire.it is a black color piece of cloth in sash form about 120-130 cm.s in length.it is worn by wrapping it tightly around the head,wrapping sytle differs in some parts of the Black sea region.it is also called as gabalak is some parts of country and still worn in folcloric games. In world war I,Turkish Army troops had no standard headgear due to economical problems and some troops wrapped materials like felt around the head in kabalak form. Then this is widely used in almost all troops. Enver Pasha inspired from the British Colonnial hat decided to make a standard hat for Turkish army and a hat in kabalak form with a chinstrap was sewn for Turkish army.this is known as Enveriye in Turkish historical references about WWI and Gallipoli.

On the other hand, military hats with visors are also first worn by Enver pasha in Turkish army and they are also called as enveriye in some historical military references...wish i could help some.
    best regards
    Engin
  12. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Thank you for the very informative answer to my question Engin.

Roger (The lucky chap who has got this great figure to paint)
  13. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks, Engin! He wouldn't have been completed without your help! What are you working on, by the by?

All the best,
    Dan