1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Oniria Miniatures 28mm U.S. Cavalry in the plains

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by KenBoyle, Aug 12, 2017.

1. marco55 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Really coming along nicely.
    Mark
    KenBoyle likes this.
  2. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Enjoying this thread Ken, I must admit to being sceptical about this scale in the past as the figure proportions never seem right. These however buck the trend and I can see why you are so enthusiastic about them. Nicely sculpted and popular subjects. Enjoying your WIP.

Keith
    KenBoyle likes this.
  3. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Wow really comming along, great painting btw
    KenBoyle likes this.
  4. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Amazing progress Ken.
    They will look superb set up together.
    Keith
    KenBoyle likes this.
  5. OldTaff PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    You and I are the same age, Ken, and both of us use the Optivisor, AND paint Oniria figures for a change of pace. Don't worry, old son, you're not alone, and your painting is great (y);)

Alan
    oniria, winfield and KenBoyle like this.
  6. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States

Thanks Mark,
    As always I appreciate your comments.

Ken
  7. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States

Thanks Keith,
    Having painted my share of wargame figures in the past, I was also a little sceptical about 28mm collector pieces, but I am having a great time painting the little guys. :)

Ken
  8. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States

Thanks Bob,

It'll be nice to complete this first "small" vignette as I have a couple of others waiting in the wings.

Ken
  9. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States

Thanks Keith,
    I think you are on to something. In this scale as individuals they are just ok, but once they are all put together the improvement is dramatic.

Ken
    Wings5797 likes this.
  10. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States

Thanks Alan,
    Us "old timers" ;) need to stick together. It's nice to hear from a brother in the hobby with similar interests and thanks for the kind words.

Ken
    oniria likes this.
  11. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Hi everyone,
    As I planned, the US Cavalry vignette is finally completed. (y) I have titled it "Hostiles sighted!" because that just seemed to fit.

This has been a fun experience (with just a view minor frustrations/learning curves). :)

All in all, I love these smaller figures from Oniria especially because of my fascination with the old west. They also have some French and Indian War, Napoleonics and WWII figures that are very nice.

My next project is a couple of their figure sets from the movie "The Wild Bunch". Slightly bigger at 36mm they look really nice.

Thanks for looking,
    Ken

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  12. marco55 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hope you don't mind if I share but this is Oniria's (mostly) FIW figures,some have been converted.This is a vignette he did for me last year. I love yours!
    Mark
    ob1.jpg

om2.jpg ob1.jpg om7.jpg om4.jpg
  13. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Wow Ken, fantastic, great painting and love the scene.
    KenBoyle likes this.
  14. marco55 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Yeah I can't wait until they release more Cavalry.
    Mark
    KenBoyle likes this.
  15. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States

I don't mind at all Mark and thanks for the kind words.

The French and Indian War diorama is superb. These are 32mm, if I'm correct, and they are simply amazing!

Thanks for posting,
    Ken
  16. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States

Thanks Bob. A really fun project!
    Ken
  17. marco55 Well-Known Member

United-States
    I think they are 28mm but not sure..
    Mark
    KenBoyle likes this.
  18. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States

Mark,
    I was just going by the web site specs. It may be 28mm to top of head and 32mm to top of headgear. The different FIW kits give slightly different specs.

Ken
  19. marco55 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Yeah I don't really know.They don't quite match up with the Conquest/Warlord figures but match up very well with the Wargames Factory/Warlord plastic indians which is the indians you see on the vignette..
    Mark
    KenBoyle likes this.
  20. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    On another Miniature site, Dee Moore asked me about the groundwork and the rock effect for this vignette. I thought I'd repeat my response here in case anyone was interested.

There are a couple of pieces of slate used in the groundwork. I love slate as it fits in with every scale from 28mm to 120mm. Mine came from a garden center/DIY store.

However, there is a lot less slate than it appears.

+ First I covered the base with 1/4 inch of Magic Sculpt as a base.

+ Then a larger piece of slate was placed on the back left side and pressed lightly into the putty. I just went through my stock and found a piece that fit well for this vignette.

+ Next three small flat pieces were placed on the Magic sculpt for the right back corner and the two front corners.

+ Now to bring it all together, I added another layer of Magic Sculpt feathering it into, and partially covering the three flat pieces of slate on the corners.

+ Now for some texturing. For the top of the base I took a rough pebble and rolled it around with my fingers to give the top some texture. For all four sides of the base, I took a small piece of slate that was flat and had a rough edge. Using this as a stamp, I pressed the edge of the slate into the vertical sides of the base to make the Magic Sculpt look like more slate.

+ Finally, I added some small pebbles from my backyard to the top and pressed them into the Magic Sculpt.

+ The whole base was painted a tan color and the washed with a brown wash. All the texturing makes the wash work really well. I then did some additional shading to the base by using a dark brown, almost black, wash in various crevices. This was followed with a very light wash of dark green in some of the deepest crevices. Careful dry brushing with several lighter shades of tan finished it all up.

I hope this helps, as it is probably more than you ever wanted to know. :)

Thanks,
    Ken
    OldTaff and marco55 like this.