1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Old Abe And Friend

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by yeo_64, Apr 28, 2004.

1. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Hi guys :lol: ! For my next project,I've decided to scratch-build "Old Abe" and his eagle-bearer David McLain just after the battle of Corinth in October 1862.The vignette depicts the pair just after McLain rescues "Old Abe" from the battlefield after the Union forces' retreat. David has the eagle on his lap and his trying to calm it down after the shock that it had suffered while under enemy fire.This is my first attempt at sculpting a bird in 1/35 scale.What do you guys think of it ? All comments are welcome.Thanks and cheers.
    Kenneth ;)

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    This is really looking great Kenneth......I look forward to seeing your next step
  3. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Kenneth, Super idea for a vignette, looking really good. (y)
    You have pict a very interesting subject matter, and I know that your skillfull hands will create another master piece. ;)
    I will be following your step by step very closely,please keep us posted.

Keep up the good work and looking forward to your next step.

Roc. :)
  4. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Very nice I like the boots! (y)
  5. y_wong New Member

Dear kenneth,

I like your pose and theme. Looking forward to more of your stuffs.

regards :lol:
  6. jitch0t Member

Spain
    nice detail on his left foot (the broken boot :) )!!
  7. Kreston Active Member

United-States
    Kenneth, great idea! You have a very nice start, too. If I can offer a bit of constructive criticism...the 8th Wisconsin was issued the 1858 Hardee hat and did not wear the forage cap (kepi). I painted this same subject a few years ago and, living in Wisconsin, I was able to access reasearch materials at the Wisconsin Veteran's Museum.

Kreston
  8. Pete_H New Member

Very good topic and the figure looks promising (especially the pose). If I too may offer some constructive observations:
    1. all surfaces should be smoother. For instance, look at all the clothings' edges. These should appear somewhat uniform in thickness and crisp/sharp.
    2. the bald eagle's feathers need to be a whole lot smoother. To be honest, it looks like the poor bird has got windblown hair instead of feathers.

Hang in there. You've got a good start (y)
  9. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Hi Guys :lol: Thanks for all your encouraging comments and constructive criticisms.To Guy,Roc,Gordy,Wong Yau,Daniel,Kreston,Pete,your input is always greatly appreciated;THANKS ! Kreston,I actually modelled McLain's headgear based on a studio shot of him in uniform(ah well,I suppose the reality is always different ;) )Anyway,I've re-modelled the headgear as per your suggestion;what do you think of it ? Pete,I've smoothen the clothing and feathers with file and steel wool as best I could;hope it improves the figure and bird somewhat.I've also refined the tail feathers a bit. Here then are the shots of the modified figure.Comments,please.Thanks and cheers !
    Kenneth :)

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

A close-up of the hat showing the "C" badge that I'd sculpted on it.
    [IMG]
  10. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    WOW.........beautiful Kenneth......although I am not a sculpter......it looks fantastic to me. I look forward to seeing you paint it.
  11. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Thank you very much,Guy (y) ;that's really very kind of you to say that ! I just hope that I won't disappoint you.Cheers.
    Kenneth ;)
  12. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    You won't Kenneth.....every figure you sculpt is better than the last one and every figure painted is better than the one before. I have seen you grow in your abilities since you joined the planet... (y)
  13. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Thanks,Guy;I really appreciate the confidence that you have in me :lol: Cheers !
    Kenneth ;)
  14. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Kenneth,
    I concur with Guy,I am not a sculpter either [I wish I was.] , but I am able to recognize a well sculpted figure when I see one, and your figure is very well sculpted.(y)

As far as the painting goes, I know you will do a beautiful job,
    Can't wait to see it painted. ;)

Keep up the good work.

Roc, :)
  15. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Roc,my friend,thank you very much for the encouragement;I really appreciate it :lol: ! I'll try my very best to do the figure full justice and will post my efforts on-line soon.Cheers !
    Kenneth :)
  16. y_wong New Member

Dear Kenneth, you are definitely improving fast with every figure that you sculpted. I believe if you give the same amount of patience and attention to details which you gave previously to your armour fighting vehicles, your figure will turn out to be even better.

regards :lol:
  17. Kamil Feliks Sztarbala New Member

Poland
    kenneth!! GREAT STUFF!! i'm love in it ;)
  18. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Wong Yau,Kamil,thank you very much my friends;I really appreciate the positive comments (y) :lol: ! I've already primed the figure and the S & T base that I'd ordered from Colorado Miniatures has just arrived today,so expect an update on the project real soon.Cheers !
    Kenneth ;)
  19. turcao New Member

Hi friend,

Is it possible for you to explain your sculpting techniques?
    Materials, steps, etc....

You must be a great teacher !!!!!

great job.

regards,

Arthur.
  20. Edson Member

Mexico
    Ohhh man you make it so easy!!!! :eek: , very well done buddy

keep up the great work!
    Ed :lol: