1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

oils and paintbrush thoughts and help.

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by jim1215, Jan 23, 2014.

1. jim1215 Active Member

United-States
    good afternoon , i have been a member for quite sometime and will soon post some of my work , looking forward to critique and comments , but in the meantime i have some questions regarding oils . so far i have only used acrylic vallejo paints and some model master or floquil . my question with oils and i own several colors of( windsor newton) is do ypu paint straight from tube or thin with like a mineral spirit ? i would like to try oils over an acrylic base . without a doubt i think oils are best on faces which is my weakness. now for brushes .i own windsor newton series 7 rounds but have since bought some good flats and angle flats and my work is getting better with the flats , are there anyone else from experience who likes working with the flat brushes , i like my rounds for certain areas but have gooten better using flats . just wanted to get some feedback. thanks so much jimmy
    Eludia likes this.
  2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Eludia likes this.
  3. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Hi Jimmy, I use oils exclusively over an Enamel base although Acrylics are just as effective. I use straight from the tube but allow some time to drain off the carrier by putting the paint on a piece of card for a couple on minutes and then picking the colour up with a Palette knife onto my palette. I then apply my base colour and with a large brush take off the paint leaving just a stain, from here it is just a matter of applying your shade and highlights. If you look on El Greco's website Eddy Vandersteen has a very detailed Oil face painting SBS. As regards flat brushes they are great for larger areas and for blending, I use a 45 Degree taper brush for blending also.
    I could go on but I'm sure others will also offer advice. As for oil paints if you can give Old Holland a try you wont be disappointed they have a lot less carrier in the tube.

Keith
    Snowy and Eludia like this.
  4. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Keith has pretty much covered the process (y) I've stopped using acrylic even as an undercoat and have switched back to enamels.
    Welcome to the light ;)
    Cheers
    Derek
    Eludia likes this.
  5. Jazz A Fixture

England
    I am an oily too and the guys above have got it right. I have never been able to get as good results with just acrylics or enamel. I use Windsor & Newton, Winton, and even some Downey Daler oils. Depending on what youre painting I usually find the less you put on the better. Try putting a few spots of oil on the surface and use a bigger brush to rub it in over a larger area. Doing this makes it easier to blend in other colours. Also, say you're painting leather, I use a lighter brown acrylic as a base coat then when completely dry cover it in a darker brown oil. Leave it for a few minutes then by using a soft clean brush or clean rag wipe off the excess oil gently taking care not to also remove the acrylic underneath. This takes a bit of practise but gives a good effect. You're not limited to just leather either. This method can be used with other colours too. It shows a darker shade in the lower areas and lighter shades in the upper areas to show depth. Hope this helps and welcome to the oily fraternity.
    Eludia, swralph, baronband and 2 others like this.
  6. swralph A Fixture

this is really good advice, also if you end up with a glossy finish where you need it to be matt simply use a matt varnish,preferably sprayed
    Eludia likes this.
  7. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Using heat will also dry the oils to a nice matt finish with the added benefit of speeding up drying times immensely (hours rather than days). Just be careful, don't make the same mistake I made recently:

http://www.planetfigure.com/threads/schoolboy-errors.61673/

Billy :)
  8. Jazz A Fixture

England

She'd a few tears for you there Billy. I always use the airing cupboard to dry oil if I want it done quicker than normal. Most of the time though I just leave it to dry naturally. We oilys learn to be patient.